Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: few linux laptop problems...

Re: few linux laptop problems...

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:44:38 -0800 (PST), starlyte
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 11, 1:39*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

>> > this is more then likely the way we use the laptop... it often sits on
>> > the arm of a couch.. so it does not get alot of air flow. Sitting on a
>> > table im sure it will manage its temperatures just fine. but my point
>> > really was that wine wont exit cleanly

>> Does sitting it on the arm of the couch block a vent? If not it is likely to
>> allow *more* air circulation than sitting flat on a table would.
>>
>> You didn't answer my question.....
>> --
>> Shaun.
>>
>> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
>> warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

>there are vents around the sides and also underneath. It also has
>feet, So sitting on its feet allows the bottom vent actually vent. Its
>often smothered by the couch
>i dont believe there is any fault of the hardware... so i dont think i
>need to name and shame the brand

OK, so you are blocking the airflow. That is living very dangerously.
Sure, it has thermal shutdown capability, but relying on that too
often is very likely to get you a burned out CPU. Read the fine print
and you will find that they do not guarantee that the thermal shutdown
will save the CPU. All it takes is just one junction to go over
temperature for long enough and the chip is junk. You really need to
consider using it differently. I have a piece of particle board under
mine when I use it on top of my bed.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:44:38 -0800 (PST), starlyte
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 11, 1:39 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Does sitting it on the arm of the couch block a vent? If not it is
>>> likely to allow *more* air circulation than sitting flat on a table
>>> would.
>>>
>>> You didn't answer my question.....
>>> --
>>> Shaun.
>>>
>>> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him
>>> and he's warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

>> there are vents around the sides and also underneath. It also has
>> feet, So sitting on its feet allows the bottom vent actually vent.
>> Its often smothered by the couch
>> i dont believe there is any fault of the hardware... so i dont think
>> i need to name and shame the brand

> OK, so you are blocking the airflow. That is living very dangerously.
> Sure, it has thermal shutdown capability, but relying on that too
> often is very likely to get you a burned out CPU. Read the fine print
> and you will find that they do not guarantee that the thermal shutdown
> will save the CPU. All it takes is just one junction to go over
> temperature for long enough and the chip is junk.

Yup. Not to mention the extra heat that the HDD and battery have to put up
with. This really is a recipe for accelerated aging at the best,
catastrophic failure at the worst.

> You really need to
> consider using it differently. I have a piece of particle board under
> mine when I use it on top of my bed.

I agree. I have a piece of MDF in my laptop bag in case I need it to put
under the laptop when it's away from the desk.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.