Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Error Message copying files to a DVD

Error Message copying files to a DVD

Nisko

I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

Mycelium

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

Fruit2O

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:02:26 -0800, Mycelium
<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
>>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
>>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
>>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
>>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

> You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
>disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

I guess that's why the message didn't make sense to me. The drive I
placed the disk in IS a read/write drive. I was in the middle of
copying movie clips to a re-writable disk when I received the message.
I checked the disk when I was finished and I do have files that were
copied to the disk. The drive is even LightScribe capable. Is there
anything else you can think of that would initiate that message? Is
there something I can check to determine the cause for that message?
Thanks.....

<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
>>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
>>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
>>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
>>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

> You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
>disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

I just printed out the directory that I copied from and a copy of the
files copied to the DVD. They match. So I don't understand why I got
that error message. Now that I have the files on a re-writable DVD, do
I have to close the DVD out (close the session)?

Mycelium

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:34:40 -0500, Fruit2O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:02:26 -0800, Mycelium
><(E-Mail Removed) g> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
>>>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
>>>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
>>>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
>>>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

>> You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
>>disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

>I guess that's why the message didn't make sense to me. The drive I
>placed the disk in IS a read/write drive. I was in the middle of
>copying movie clips to a re-writable disk when I received the message.
>I checked the disk when I was finished and I do have files that were
>copied to the disk. The drive is even LightScribe capable. Is there
>anything else you can think of that would initiate that message?

A mismatch between the drive and the software meant to operate it?

Have you installed more than one brand or version of authoring
software?

Updates to software or firmware can cause this as well.

I think the makers are incorporating 'new purchases' into their
firmware updates. I have had both a PS3 and a PC drive fail, the PS3
immediately, and the PC drive shortly after being 'updated'.

> Is
>there something I can check to determine the cause for that message?
>Thanks.....

Look for chat about that model drive or send an email to the maker and
see if they even have live respondents.

Fruit2O

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:26:24 -0800, Mycelium
<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:34:40 -0500, Fruit2O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:02:26 -0800, Mycelium
>><(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>>> You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
>>>disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

>>I guess that's why the message didn't make sense to me. The drive I
>>placed the disk in IS a read/write drive. I was in the middle of
>>copying movie clips to a re-writable disk when I received the message.
>>I checked the disk when I was finished and I do have files that were
>>copied to the disk. The drive is even LightScribe capable. Is there
>>anything else you can think of that would initiate that message?

> A mismatch between the drive and the software meant to operate it?
>
> Have you installed more than one brand or version of authoring
>software?
>
> Updates to software or firmware can cause this as well.
>
> I think the makers are incorporating 'new purchases' into their
>firmware updates. I have had both a PS3 and a PC drive fail, the PS3
>immediately, and the PC drive shortly after being 'updated'.
>

>> Is
>>there something I can check to determine the cause for that message?
>>Thanks.....

> Look for chat about that model drive or send an email to the maker and
>see if they even have live respondents.

Since this is my first time with this PC (HP Laptop) and Vista, I have
no idea about what you said. Even though I received that error
message, all the files seem to have copied over successfully. However,
I have not yet tried to read them on another PC. The DVD writing
software I used is what's built-in to Vista. Yes, I have also
installed Nero 9 but have never used it. I'll try the DVD in question
on another PC tomorrow and let you know if I can read all the video
clips. Thanks...........