Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: few linux laptop problems...

Re: few linux laptop problems...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <d67895cd-7351-4774-94eb-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, starlyte wrote:

> kubuntu 8.04

That’s pretty old.

Sailor Sam

impossible wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> message news:hi6abu$3ti$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <d67895cd-7351-4774-94eb-
>> (E-Mail Removed)>, starlyte wrote:
>>
>>> i have a couple of problems with my linux laptop
>>> 1 - Power management, My laptop wont hibernate. when it does it
>>> crashes and i have to reboot twice to get back. Currently i have to
>>> set the laptop to just turn off the screen when the lid closes. I have
>>> had this problem right from the initial install so i have not changed
>>> anything to make it break. I have tried moving from the default
>>> graphics driver to an actual nvidia one with no success...
>>>
>>> 2 - websites with flash. eg facebook. When a facebook page is loaded
>>> in firefox, the whole machine crawls. htop does not show excessive cpu/
>>> memory usage. The webpage is almost unsuable. like i cant smoothly
>>> scroll down the page. It moves a little then stops, then moves a
>>> little again and stops...
>>>
>>> Youtube page is fine, my daughter plays flash games - like playhouse
>>> disney website, a couple of tabs open and it kills the machine... i
>>> have the latest flash 10.something - same problems happened with flash
>>> 9 also. i had hoped the upgrade to 10 might have fixed it
>>>
>>> 3 - i have to run internet explorer via wine - not cos i want to, i
>>> need to my wife vpns into her work and they have some sort of an
>>> outlook exchange server to view her email. This does not work under
>>> firefox.
>>> my problem with this is once she exits out of IE the wineserver cranks
>>> up to 100% cpu usage on one core. While it does not adversly affect
>>> the laptops usefulness. it does make it hot and at times the machine
>>> shuts it self off as its reached 100 degrees (feature, not a problem)
>>>
>>> what do i need to do to have wine quit nicely?
>>>

>>> im currently very tempted to ditch it and try win7
>>>
>>> off hand i cant remember the exact specs. but its not a little guy
>>> intel dual core T7xx series cpu
>>> 3 gig ram
>>> graphics card.. defiantly nvidia, 9300g or similar
>>> kubuntu 8.04
>>>>

>> That’s pretty old.

> February 2009 is old? Who are you kidding, Loser? The laptop is much
> older than that.

Jebus, 11 months old in software is up to date, in what language???

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hi6fpv$dp2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Sailor Sam wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> message news:hi6abu$3ti$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, starlyte wrote:
>>
>>> kubuntu 8.04
>>>>

>> That’s pretty old.

> Jebus, 11 months old in software is up to date, in what language???

It’s not 11 months old.

Enkidu

impossible wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> message news:hi6abu$3ti$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <d67895cd-7351-4774-94eb-
>> (E-Mail Removed)>, starlyte wrote:
>>
>>> i have a couple of problems with my linux laptop
>>> 1 - Power management, My laptop wont hibernate. when it does it
>>> crashes and i have to reboot twice to get back. Currently i have to
>>> set the laptop to just turn off the screen when the lid closes. I have
>>> had this problem right from the initial install so i have not changed
>>> anything to make it break. I have tried moving from the default
>>> graphics driver to an actual nvidia one with no success...
>>>
>>> 2 - websites with flash. eg facebook. When a facebook page is loaded
>>> in firefox, the whole machine crawls. htop does not show excessive cpu/
>>> memory usage. The webpage is almost unsuable. like i cant smoothly
>>> scroll down the page. It moves a little then stops, then moves a
>>> little again and stops...
>>>
>>> Youtube page is fine, my daughter plays flash games - like playhouse
>>> disney website, a couple of tabs open and it kills the machine... i
>>> have the latest flash 10.something - same problems happened with flash
>>> 9 also. i had hoped the upgrade to 10 might have fixed it
>>>
>>> 3 - i have to run internet explorer via wine - not cos i want to, i
>>> need to my wife vpns into her work and they have some sort of an
>>> outlook exchange server to view her email. This does not work under
>>> firefox.
>>> my problem with this is once she exits out of IE the wineserver cranks
>>> up to 100% cpu usage on one core. While it does not adversly affect
>>> the laptops usefulness. it does make it hot and at times the machine
>>> shuts it self off as its reached 100 degrees (feature, not a problem)
>>>
>>> what do i need to do to have wine quit nicely?
>>>

>>> im currently very tempted to ditch it and try win7
>>>
>>> off hand i cant remember the exact specs. but its not a little guy
>>> intel dual core T7xx series cpu
>>> 3 gig ram
>>> graphics card.. defiantly nvidia, 9300g or similar
>>> kubuntu 8.04
>>>>

>> That’s pretty old.

> February 2009 is old? Who are you kidding, Loser? The laptop is much
> older than that.

8.04 was released April 24 2008. It's *very* old.

Cheers,

Cliff

JohnO

On Jan 9, 11:21*am, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> impossible wrote:
>
> > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> > messagenews:hi6abu$3ti$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Thats pretty old.

> > February 2009 is old? *Who are you kidding, Loser? The laptop is much
> > older than that.

> *>
> 8.04 was released April 24 2008. It's *very* old.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
> the same old personalities show through.

But is it supported with updates and bug fixes? If so the age
shouldn't matter. If it is not supported, than that's a pretty damning
indictment of the distro.

I tried Ubuntu 9.10 recently but it crashes on Intel845 chipsets. 9.4
seems to work pretty well though. Just ideal for my mums pc which is
purely web and email, and it helps prevent my nephew from installing a
lot of crap on it.

Enkidu

JohnO wrote:
> On Jan 9, 11:21 am, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> messagenews:hi6abu$3ti$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> February 2009 is old? Who are you kidding, Loser? The laptop is much
>>> older than that.
>> >

>> 8.04 was released April 24 2008. It's *very* old.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>> --
>>
>> The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
>> the same old personalities show through.

> But is it supported with updates and bug fixes? If so the age
> shouldn't matter. If it is not supported, than that's a pretty damning
> indictment of the distro.

It's supported until April 2011. It's still old.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <d1cc8a1b-c3eb-4af2-
(E-Mail Removed)>, starlyte wrote:

> i guess its not the latest release.. But these problems have existed
> right from the start..

Yes, but newer versions will have newer hardware drivers, which are
particularly important for a complicated issue like ACPI power management on
laptops.

Definitely worth a try upgrading the OS. You can back it up first if you
want to be really safe. I’ve done this sort of thing frequently, using
rsync.

JohnO

On Jan 11, 4:43*pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JohnO wrote:

> >> 8.04 was released April 24 2008. It's *very* old.

> >> Cheers,

> >> Cliff

> >> --

> >> The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
> >> the same old personalities show through.

> > But is it supported with updates and bug fixes? If so the age
> > shouldn't matter. If it is not supported, than that's a pretty damning
> > indictment of the distro.

> It's supported until April 2011. It's still old.

Old in terms of release date but that is irrelevant to this topic. It
can be current for bug fixes and that may be all the OP is interested
in.

As I posted elsewhere, 9.04 is older than 9.10 but at least it works
on Intel 845G chipsets.

> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
> the same old personalities show through.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <bc1de84a-
c76a-46e6-9efb-7f95c682d821@r24g2000...oglegroups.com>, JohnO wrote:

> As I posted elsewhere, 9.04 is older than 9.10 but at least it works
> on Intel 845G chipsets.

Not sure why that would be relevant to the OP’s problems, though.

JohnO

On Jan 12, 12:17*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <bc1de84a-
>
> (E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO wrote:
> > As I posted elsewhere, 9.04 is older than 9.10 but at least it works
> > on Intel 845G chipsets.

> Not sure why that would be relevant to the OPs problems, though.

Not relevant at all in itself. Simply an example where and old release
is better than new release. That *is* relevant to the OP.