Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > .EXE Base Address Randomization

.EXE Base Address Randomization

Jim Henriksen

I've just made the jump from XP-64 to Windows 7/64. I've noticed that
Windows 7 randomizes program base addresses, so I can no longer depend
on programs loading at address 0x400000. I presume that this was done
for security purposes. While my programs contain no dependencies on
0x400000, for debugging purposes, it would be extremely handy to disable
base address randomization so that a program always loads at the same
address.

Is there any way to do this?

Jim Henriksen

Jim Henriksen wrote:
> I've just made the jump from XP-64 to Windows 7/64. I've noticed that
> Windows 7 randomizes program base addresses, so I can no longer depend
> on programs loading at address 0x400000. I presume that this was done
> for security purposes. While my programs contain no dependencies on
> 0x400000, for debugging purposes, it would be extremely handy to disable
> base address randomization so that a program always loads at the same
> address.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

I found an answer to my question at

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...omization.aspx

After reading this article, I was able to select the

Disable Image Randomization (/DYNAMICBASE:NO)

option for my application under Visual Studio 8.