Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is this good buy from Aldi

Is this good buy from Aldi

OldGringo38

Two Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:12:05 -0600, OldGringo38
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
>> Two Cents To The philo Post:

>>> also better than what I need
>>>
>>> but it does look like a good deal.
>>>
>>> FWIW: A while back some woman brought a computer to me to repair and she
>>> told me she got it drom Aldi
>>>
>>> I was surprised to learn they sold more than groceries
>>> and I was expecting it to be of poor quality...
>>> but it was a very well made machine.
>>>
>>> Can't remember what kind of repair it needed but I am sure it was
>>> something minor

>> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
>> only, from Iowa. The OP is in Europe I think by the $ sign. So may
>> not have that brand of computer here in the US. There is a monies
>> exchange rate also to consider.

> According to google it costs about $560 but in the UK we do get ripped
> off regularly. Aldi is a German chain that together with Lidl, another
> German chain, is establishing a base where I live.

Hey thanks for the info, much appreciated.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Peter Clements

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:17:16 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OldGringo38 wrote:
>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
>> Cents To The Peter Clements Post:
>>> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
>>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-01-04-12-00
>>>

>>> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

>> That would be an overkill for my use. <g>
>>

>also better than what I need
>
>but it does look like a good deal.
>
>FWIW: A while back some woman brought a computer to me to repair and she
>told me she got it drom Aldi
>
>I was surprised to learn they sold more than groceries
>and I was expecting it to be of poor quality...
>but it was a very well made machine.
>
>Can't remember what kind of repair it needed but I am sure it was
>something minor

Aldi has a good reputation but other posters have made me realise I do
not need anything so powerful.

Old Codger

OldGringo38 wrote:

> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
> only, from Iowa.

It is a German chain that is establishing itself in the UK at the
cheaper end of the market. Their hardware specials, tools, computers,
cameras, etc. are usually good value and reasonable quality. Their
computers and peripherals are made by Medion, another German firm.
Cameras are made by Tevion (a division of Medion?).

I have, over the years, bought two computers two camera, one hard disk,
a number of USB hubs and a card reader/usb hub, a graphics tablet, a
surround sound speaker system, and probably much else, oh and a 2KVA
generator. All have given good service. One camera failed after around
two years. Replaced by the manufacturer under guarantee without question.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

OldGringo38

Two Cents To The Old Codger Post:
> OldGringo38 wrote:
>
>> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
>> only, from Iowa.

> It is a German chain that is establishing itself in the UK at the
> cheaper end of the market. Their hardware specials, tools, computers,
> cameras, etc. are usually good value and reasonable quality. Their
> computers and peripherals are made by Medion, another German firm.
> Cameras are made by Tevion (a division of Medion?).
>
> I have, over the years, bought two computers two camera, one hard disk,
> a number of USB hubs and a card reader/usb hub, a graphics tablet, a
> surround sound speaker system, and probably much else, oh and a 2KVA
> generator. All have given good service. One camera failed after around
> two years. Replaced by the manufacturer under guarantee without question.

It is nice when you have a business you feel good about.

--

OldGringo38 wrote:
> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
> Cents To The Old Codger Post:
>> OldGringo38 wrote:
>>
>>> I never heard of the Chain before, it may be a Midwest great planes
>>> only, from Iowa.

>> It is a German chain that is establishing itself in the UK at the
>> cheaper end of the market. Their hardware specials, tools, computers,
>> cameras, etc. are usually good value and reasonable quality. Their
>> computers and peripherals are made by Medion, another German firm.
>> Cameras are made by Tevion (a division of Medion?).
>>
>> I have, over the years, bought two computers two camera, one hard
>> disk, a number of USB hubs and a card reader/usb hub, a graphics
>> tablet, a surround sound speaker system, and probably much else, oh
>> and a 2KVA generator. All have given good service. One camera failed
>> after around two years. Replaced by the manufacturer under guarantee
>> without question.
>>

> It is nice when you have a business you feel good about.

Indeed, but I only go there for the specials. The wife shops in Tesco,
Sainsbury and Morrisons. Aldi is very popular though for groceries.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

PeeCee

"Peter Clements" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-01-04-12-00
>
> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

mmmm I'd be looking at the hidden specs.

eg what brand / model motherboard
Maximum RAM
Power supply wattage.
How good is the video card
How solid is the case.
????????

Couple of things I've noticed is the bare minimum number of I/O ports and
the video card is no fireball.
(Tomshardware.com: "Newly emerged are the GeForce GT 220 and GeForce G210,
which are on the more modest side of speed" )
Toms Hardware also mention they are OEM 'only' cards.
This means they are built to have the magic numbers for the sales promo
stickers, but in reality they have little meat and don't perform like the
numbers would suggest.

Anther observation I would make is the uselessness of the hot swap media
bays.
HP equipped their Multi Media machines a while ago with one of those.
Never saw many people make practical use of them.
Sure if you're into a lot of High resolution Video editing they would make
sense.
But then you're not going to be using a mid / low priced PC for such a
demanding task as video editing are you.

With this PC I would suggest the bean counters have upped the numbers on
items that are cheap to increase.
ie going from 2 to 4GB RAM and 500 to 1000GB hard drive doesn't cost a lot
in cash.
But putting in a better motherboard with more RAM capacity and other
facilities instead for the same money doesn't 'look' as good a value to the
buyer.
Take of the cost of 2GB of RAM and a smaller (500GB) hard drive of the 349
price and then look at if it's 'good' value compared to other PC's with the
same (lower) spec.

Starting with a better motherboard & power supply means going to (say)16GB
RAM and a 2.5TB drive in (say) 2 years time is a practical upgrade option.
Trying to give a mid life upgrade to a PC with a cheap motherboard and weak
power supply on the other hand is simply not practical.
(eg the motherboard may only support 4GB max anyway)

Hey at the end of the day it's your money and the spec may suit you just
fine, just don't expect a 'bargain' from a Supermarket chain.

Best
Paul.

Peter Clements

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:55:50 +1300, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Peter Clements" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Seems good to me but I am not an expert;
>> http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...10-01-04-12-00
>>
>> So much RAM and HD capacity looks good, doesn't it?

>mmmm I'd be looking at the hidden specs.
>
>eg what brand / model motherboard
>Maximum RAM
>Power supply wattage.
>How good is the video card
>How solid is the case.
>????????
>
>Couple of things I've noticed is the bare minimum number of I/O ports and
>the video card is no fireball.
>(Tomshardware.com: "Newly emerged are the GeForce GT 220 and GeForce G210,
>which are on the more modest side of speed" )
>Toms Hardware also mention they are OEM 'only' cards.
>This means they are built to have the magic numbers for the sales promo
>stickers, but in reality they have little meat and don't perform like the
>numbers would suggest.
>
>Anther observation I would make is the uselessness of the hot swap media
>bays.
>HP equipped their Multi Media machines a while ago with one of those.
>Never saw many people make practical use of them.
>Sure if you're into a lot of High resolution Video editing they would make
>sense.
>But then you're not going to be using a mid / low priced PC for such a
>demanding task as video editing are you.
>
>With this PC I would suggest the bean counters have upped the numbers on
>items that are cheap to increase.
>ie going from 2 to 4GB RAM and 500 to 1000GB hard drive doesn't cost a lot
>in cash.
>But putting in a better motherboard with more RAM capacity and other
>facilities instead for the same money doesn't 'look' as good a value to the
>buyer.
>Take of the cost of 2GB of RAM and a smaller (500GB) hard drive of the 349
>price and then look at if it's 'good' value compared to other PC's with the
>same (lower) spec.
>
>Starting with a better motherboard & power supply means going to (say)16GB
>RAM and a 2.5TB drive in (say) 2 years time is a practical upgrade option.
>Trying to give a mid life upgrade to a PC with a cheap motherboard and weak
>power supply on the other hand is simply not practical.
>(eg the motherboard may only support 4GB max anyway)
>
>Hey at the end of the day it's your money and the spec may suit you just
>fine, just don't expect a 'bargain' from a Supermarket chain.

Thanks Paul for your insight. I have decided not to buy one and just
stick with what I have as they seem to be running well now.