Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > a CPAN for C

a CPAN for C

for the C language is there something like CPAN is for Perl ?
if this is asking too much then maybe a list of commonly used
libraries for C ? for both Linux and Windows, not necessarily(but
hopefuly) portable ?

also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
standard implementation of a linked list ?

Seebs

On 2010-01-06, m <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
> and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
> standard implementation of a linked list ?

There is no standard implementation, because different implementations
have different goals.

-s

Frank

On 1/5/2010 7:37 PM, Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-01-06, m<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
>> and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
>> standard implementation of a linked list ?

> There is no standard implementation, because different implementations
> have different goals.

I think that's slightly mis-stated. With C, there are many
implementations at any given time, as opposed to perl, where there are
many implementations as it evolves but only one implementation at a
given time.

I have big hopes for clc's wiki, but any cpan-like proxy would have to
be sorted by implementor: dinkumware, gcc, Intel.
--
frank

Frank

On 1/5/2010 8:30 PM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> if this is asking too much then maybe a list of commonly used
>> libraries for C ? for both Linux and Windows, not necessarily(but
>> hopefuly) portable ?

> Quite a few such libraries exist. SDL is often mentioned in this kind of
> context.

But having a C library is *a lot* different from having something that
came down from c-pan.
--
frank

jacob navia

m a écrit :
> for the C language is there something like CPAN is for Perl ?
> if this is asking too much then maybe a list of commonly used
> libraries for C ? for both Linux and Windows, not necessarily(but
> hopefuly) portable ?
>
> also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
> and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
> standard implementation of a linked list ?

I am trying to design and implement a standard container library
for C.

I report about it regularly in this newsgroup.

Tom St Denis

On Jan 5, 9:30*pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> m wrote:
> > for the C language is there something like CPAN is for Perl ?

> C's CPAN is sometimes referred to as "the Internet". Unfortunately, a
> lot of non-C stuff has managed to creep in, but the Internet remains a
> tremendous resource for C programmers.

Hehehe, that made me chuckle. Thanks for the early morning [post-
coffee] laugh.

When I was a teen in the 90s I was a fan of PCGPE and SWAG. Though
SWAG was pascal related I found porting the algorithms to C to not be
that hard. Of course this was a tad pre-popular internet days so
these sort of resources were geared to be the sort of things you can
download off a BBS and then browse offline. If I recall for SWAG you
could download modules into a reader and then browse through the
various articles written for it (on all sorts of topics). It was a
dream for a starting programmer to have access to all sorts of code
even if it was at times poorly written and buggy...

Tom

Kaz Kylheku

On 2010-01-06, Seebs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2010-01-06, m <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
>> and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
>> standard implementation of a linked list ?

> There is no standard implementation, because different implementations
> have different goals.

But there are M implementations and N goals, where M >> N.

Flash Gordon

jacob navia wrote:
> m a écrit :
>> for the C language is there something like CPAN is for Perl ?
>> if this is asking too much then maybe a list of commonly used
>> libraries for C ? for both Linux and Windows, not necessarily(but
>> hopefuly) portable ?
>>
>> also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
>> and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
>> standard implementation of a linked list ?

> I am trying to design and implement a standard container library
> for C.

I suspect it will never meet the requirements for the stuff I work on
which needs linked lists, or most of the stuff I've done in the past
which needed them.

I don't need the complexities introduced by some of your design
decisions, such as your decision to make it so generic (I know exactly
what I need, and it will never need to swap to being a tree or hash or
whatever). I've got something far simpler which was debugged years ago
which has everything needed for what it is used for.

Other peoples requirements are not the same as mine! For a start, your
requirements are different!

> I report about it regularly in this newsgroup.

You are posting C code, so it's completely topical.
--
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon

On 2010-01-06, Kaz Kylheku <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2010-01-06, Seebs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2010-01-06, m <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> also, I've seen in many places C code that re-implements over and over
>>> and over linked lists, is this a rite of passage or isn't there any
>>> standard implementation of a linked list ?

>> There is no standard implementation, because different implementations
>> have different goals.

> But there are M implementations and N goals, where M >> N.

Yeah.

But since one of the most common goals is "I want it embedded in the
data structures I'm already using", it's probably reasonable. Also,
lists are super easy to implement.

I still remember, though, back in 1990 or so, really struggling to
implement lists once.

-s