Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Dik Winter

Dik Winter

Ben Bacarisse

I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter

Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

--
Ben.

Keith Thompson

> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter

I'm so sorry to hear that. His contributions here will be missed.

Nokia

Richard Tobin

In article <0.d20c31914cbb29a32d5e.20100105233853GMT.87bph82k (E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
>December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.

I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

-- Richard

Flash Gordon

Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter
>
> Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
> My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

That's a real shame. I didn't know him, but his contributions were
valuable and I'm sure he had earned a long and happy retirement.

To make this vaguely topical, it's a loss to the C development community
for the advice he could have contributed.
--
Flash Gordon

Seebs

On 2010-01-06, Richard Tobin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <0.d20c31914cbb29a32d5e.20100105233853GMT.87bph82k (E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
>>December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.

> I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

Seconded.

-s

Phil Carmody

> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter
>
> Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
> My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

Thanks for passing that on. I always enjoyed Dik's posts as so
many had a numeric bent, which is my field of greatest interest.
In other newsgroups, he was one of a tiny handful of posters to
whom I gave a positive score, so that I could zip straight to
interesting posts. A grave loss to this and several other groups
and communities.

Phil
--
Any true emperor never needs to wear clothes. -- Devany on r.a.s.f1

Dennis \(Icarus\)

"Ben Bacarisse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0.d20c31914cbb29a32d5e.20100105233853GMT.87bp (E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter
>
> Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
> My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

I am sorry to hear that. He'll be greatly missed.

Dennis

Frank

On 1/5/2010 5:38 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter
>
> Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
> My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

Dik was een goed persoon, goed geÔnformeerde met C, patiŽnt in het
onderwijs, en strikte contra-voorbeeld voor mijn stelling dat alle
Hollanders op het internet zijn klootzakken.
--
frank

Dann Corbit

In article
<0.d20c31914cbb29a32d5e.20100105233853GMT.87bph82k (E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter
>
> Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
> My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

Sad news. He was certainly one of my favorite posters to read.
His mathematical insight was wonderful, and his numerical experience
without par among those that post here.

Charles Richmond

Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> I have just heard the sad news that Dik Winter died on the 28th of
> December, a couple of months before he was due to retire.
> http://www.cwi.nl/en/2009/1044/Dik-Winter
>
> Since he was a frequent poster here, I though you'd all like to know.
> My apologies if posts like this are not appropriate.

Damn!!! Dik has posted on Usenet for at least the last twenty
years, and certainly has added to the useful and interesting
content. While I *never* knew Dik personally, my life has been
diminished by his passing. He was a "straight up" kind of guy and
there are *not* many like that on Usenet.

In the early 90's, I posted a question about calculating the value
of pi, and Dik posted the following program. (I do *not* know if
he originated it, but I found it interesting.) You can compile and
run it:

int
a=10000,b,c=2800,d,e,f[2801],g;main(){for(;b-cf[b++]=a/5;for(;d=0,g=c*2;c
-=14,printf("%.4d",e+d/a),e=d%a)for(b=c;d+=f[b]*a,f[b]=d%--g,d/=g--,--b;d*=b);}

| Charles and Francis Richmond |
| |
| plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |