Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: How does whole-disk encryption work?

Re: How does whole-disk encryption work?

Frank Merlott

> 1. I assume all of the above are software solutions, right? Does the
> data on the disk remains encrypted? Does the encryption software
> intercept the reads and writes to do the decryption and encryption on
> the fly?

I do not trust Compusec because I read somewhere on their site that they
could reset the password.

I would also consider Diskcryptor, the only fully GPL licensed whole
disk encryption product.

> 2. Is it transparent to all of the applications (Word, Excel, Outlook,
> Explorer, etc.)?

yes

> 3. Do I have a second password to enter? (One for logging into Windows
> and one for the encrypted data?)

Only if you set up a Windows password logon you will have two, otherwise
just one.

> 4. Does it affect system performance? How much?

Not really noticeable, specially in todays computers.

--
Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com

nemo_outis

"Frank Merlott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsp.u52by7vulcf8dn@aopenxpc:

> I do not trust Compusec because I read somewhere on their site that
> they could reset the password.

They can only recover your password for you (or anyone else) **IF** you send them
your security.dat file. Normally this file is stored fully encrypted along with
everthing else on the HD and so is completely inaccessible to any "evildoer."

If you store an additional backup copy of it elsewhere (as you should) then you must
take care to protect it (either by bombproof physical security or by encrypting it,
possibly with something as simple as winrar or pkzip Of course, you would then have
to remember the zip password - do I see an infinite recursion developing

> I would also consider Diskcryptor, the only fully GPL licensed whole
> disk encryption product.

Yep, another good free one. As I said in an earlier post, my list is not exhaustive
- there are others of the breed, each with its own distinguishing features, such as
Wnmagic's Securedoc, Utimaco's Safeguard, etc.

Regards,

♥Ari♥

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:02:57 +0100, Frank Merlott wrote:

> I do not trust Compusec because I read somewhere on their site that they
> could reset the password.

Cabernet, Cabernet, engage brain pre-typing.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj