Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC running slow

PC running slow

n o s p a m p l e a s e

I bough my pc that is loaded with Vista Home Premium about one and
half year ago. It was running quite fast. Start up and shut down was
quite fast and any application that I clicked started quite soon. Now
everything takes considerable time.

What has gone wrong? I run Avira 9 and hope protection against
viruses.

Any suggestions what I do to speed up the system.

Tony

Chuck here's your chance, ok here goes... overclock the cpu.
I'm Chuckcar aka Chuck Carlson and you don't have to be a FROG to take my
advice.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
day on the job for potty mouth,

beyond the realm of understandability

Dan C

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:29:01 -0800, n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

> I bough my pc that is loaded with Vista Home Premium about one and half
> year ago. It was running quite fast. Start up and shut down was quite
> fast and any application that I clicked started quite soon. Now
> everything takes considerable time.
>
> What has gone wrong? I run Avira 9 and hope protection against viruses.
>
> Any suggestions what I do to speed up the system.

Format the hard drive.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.

chuckcar

n o s p a m p l e a s e <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I bough my pc that is loaded with Vista Home Premium about one and
> half year ago. It was running quite fast. Start up and shut down was
> quite fast and any application that I clicked started quite soon. Now
> everything takes considerable time.
>
> What has gone wrong? I run Avira 9 and hope protection against
> viruses.

Yes, but have you actually run a full AV scan on *all* files on your
computer just after you've updated the AV information files?

> Any suggestions what I do to speed up the system.

Well that all depends if you have installed any software in that time or
not. If so what?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Jan 5, 2:53*pm, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:29:01 -0800, n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
>
> > I bough my pc that is loaded with Vista Home Premium about one and half
> > year ago. It was running quite fast. Start up and shut down was quite
> > fast and any application that I clicked started quite soon. Now
> > everything takes considerable time.

> > What has gone wrong? I run Avira 9 and hope protection against viruses.

> > Any suggestions what I do to speed up the system.

> Format the hard drive.

I did go by your advice and formatted the hard drive.

The pc came with a Roxio - DVD Burning & CD Burning Software (limited
edition). I am told there are quite a few freeware that are more
powerful than Roxio - DVD Burning & CD Burning Software. What do you
recommend?

Thanx/NSP

Alec Lourmier

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 11:50:42 -0800 (PST), n o s p a m p l e a s e
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The pc came with a Roxio - DVD Burning & CD Burning Software (limited
>edition). I am told there are quite a few freeware that are more
>powerful than Roxio - DVD Burning & CD Burning Software. What do you
>recommend?
>
>Thanx/NSP

CDBurnerXP is all I've ever needed for CD/DVD burning on Windows:

http://cdburnerxp.se/

It doesn't do DVD authoring, though. Not sure if the Roxio software
had that capability, or if it's even a requirement of yours.

--
Alec
I am pro skub.