Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Media Centres

Linux Media Centres

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> Only because KDE4 lacks features that KDE3 has. I want to upgrade to
>>> KDE4, but until I work around this issue I cannot.

>> So why not run both at once?

> Firstly severely limits what I can do - if I run KWrite on KDE4 it will
> look and feel differently to that on KDE3.

In what way does something as superficial as “look and feel” manage to
“severely limit” what you can do?

> Secondly, KDE3 is no longer maintained. It is being phased out.

But you were the one insisting on using it.

> Thirdly, I don't want to install both KDE3 and KDE4 libraries at the same
> time. Can I trust that either the executables and/or configuration for
> KDE4 won't splat that of KDE3 (or vice versa)?

Try it and see.

> Forthly, the sound system in KDE4 is different to that of KDE3. Does that
> mean the KDE3 desktop won't be able to output any sound?

Try it and see.

> No, running both at once is a nasty kludge.

Still, better than sticking with obsolete KDE3, eh?

Sweetpea

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 16:21:18 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Firstly severely limits what I can do - if I run KWrite on KDE4 it will
> look and feel differently to that on KDE3.

Of COURSE!

Sweetpea

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 02:44:16 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> I would like to use the same applications on all monitors. If I had an
> application on monitor 1 that would not run on monitor 2, that would
> hamper my productivity.

It must be such a huge challenge to be compelled to use ONLY TWO monitors at a time instead of
[ridiculouslyLARGEnum] of monitors.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:06:06 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 02:44:16 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to use the same applications on all monitors. If I had an
>>> application on monitor 1 that would not run on monitor 2, that would
>>> hamper my productivity.

>> It must be such a huge challenge to be compelled to use ONLY TWO
>> monitors at a time instead of
>> [ridiculouslyLARGEnum] of monitors.

> Once you've gone dual head, I find it hard to go back. Especially when
> combined with multiple desktops. I have a triple head system and am
> about the add a 4th to it (rearrange my desk and realised I can easily
> fit in a forth now). I think the gain from 3 to 4 will be much less than
> from 2 to 3. But still, I would like it is KDE4 would run on all 4, it
> seems that in this regard it (KDE4) has taken a step backwards from
> KDE3.

LOL!

Richard

Sweetpea wrote:

>> Once you've gone dual head, I find it hard to go back. Especially when
>> combined with multiple desktops. I have a triple head system and am
>> about the add a 4th to it (rearrange my desk and realised I can easily
>> fit in a forth now). I think the gain from 3 to 4 will be much less than
>> from 2 to 3. But still, I would like it is KDE4 would run on all 4, it
>> seems that in this regard it (KDE4) has taken a step backwards from
>> KDE3.

> LOL!

I use 2 screens, tried a third but the PCI card I used made the machine
too slow.

Will do it again when I get a board with multiple PCIe 16 slots on it.

One screen just for streaming video, media center, another for
tweetdeck, and a couple to work on. With small LCDs being dirt cheap
when I redo the desk will get a couple to put above the main screens to
keep things on to keep an eye on.

MCSD test centres kodi Microsoft Certification 3 12-06-2005 07:20 AM
Call Centres Ray Computer Support 11 04-03-2005 09:39 PM
testing centres zzz MCSD 3 11-11-2004 04:41 AM
Exams centres in London Graham Moore MCSE 2 02-03-2004 01:51 PM
query about mcse centres Rajeev Kumar MCSE 1 10-09-2003 09:36 AM

Advertisments