Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN connection.

Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN connection.

Steve

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid (Jono) wrote:

> *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
> connection.
> *From:* Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
> *Date:* Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 GMT
>
> Steve has brought this to us :
> > Hi,
> > I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the
> > main
> > WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the
> > spares elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another
> > 2600VG). I have it
> > currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get
> > either of
> > the VOIP ports to work.
> >
> > Topography is in simple terms:-
> >
> > WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)
> >
> > .100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.
> >
> > Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to
> > sipgate.net
> > port 10000
> >
> > I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to
> > WAN. LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of,
> > but still can't
> > get it to register.
> >
> > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have
> > missed something important. Has anyone any experience of getting
> > this set up to
> > work please?
> >
> > regards,
> >

> > - Steve

> Your internet facing router is not passing on any of the
> appropriate packets to the second one.
>
> You'll need to change the ports in use on the voip ports on either,
> then set up appropriate port forwarding.
>
> Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet
> facing router to a LAN port on the primary?

I've tried changing the ports and port forwarding the 2nd VOIP's ports to
the internal router, I even tried putting the 2nd router in a DMZ and
allocating it its own WAN IP (I have more than one). I have tried two
different VOIP providers (sipgate.co.uk and DrayTel) and still it refuses
to play.

- Steve

Rob Johnson

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Steve wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid (Jono) wrote:
>
>> *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
>> connection.
>> *From:* Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> *Date:* Sun, 03 Jan 2010
>> 23:10:46 GMT
>>
>> Steve has brought this to us :
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the
>> > main
>> > WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the
>> > spares elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another
>> > 2600VG). I have it
>> > currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get either
>> > of
>> > the VOIP ports to work.
>> >
>> > Topography is in simple terms:-
>> >
>> > WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)
>> >
>> > .100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.
>> >
>> > Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to sipgate.net
>> > port 10000
>> >
>> > I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to WAN.
>> > LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of, but still
>> > can't
>> > get it to register.
>> >
>> > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
>> > something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this set up
>> > work please?
>> >
>> > regards,
>> >

>> > - Steve

>> Your internet facing router is not passing on any of the appropriate
>> packets to the second one.
>>
>> You'll need to change the ports in use on the voip ports on either,
>> then set up appropriate port forwarding.
>>
>> Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet facing
>> router to a LAN port on the primary?
>>

> I've tried changing the ports and port forwarding the 2nd VOIP's ports
> to the internal router, I even tried putting the 2nd router in a DMZ and
> allocating it its own WAN IP (I have more than one). I have tried two
> different VOIP providers (sipgate.co.uk and DrayTel) and still it
> refuses to play.
>
> - Steve

My guess {and it has no qualification} is that it considers all things
'WAN' to be from the modem part, and all things 'LAN' to be on the
Ethernet ports and for whatever reason the ATA has been tied to the WAN -
possibly to avoid any NAT or Firewall issues.

That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP ACCOUNTS I note
there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'.
A starter for 10, what happens if you set this to LAN?

Steve

In article <4b41ac13$0$2477$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

> That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP ACCOUNTS
> I note there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering
> 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'. A starter for 10, what happens if
> you set this to LAN?

Guess what? Nothing!

- Steve

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> In article <4b41ac13$0$2477$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

>> That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP ACCOUNTS
>> I note there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering
>> 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'. A starter for 10, what happens if
>> you set this to LAN?
>>

> Guess what? Nothing!

Does it have a route to the internet? Can you ping the internet from it?

23:00:19 up 38 days, 2:55, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,
AND TIME STARTED FLOWING REVERSELY

Steve

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (alexd)
wrote:

> *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
> connection.
> *From:* alexd <(E-Mail Removed)>
> *Date:* Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:00:49 +0000
>
> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
> > In article <4b41ac13$0$2477$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed)lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

> >> That said, looking at my old flaky Draky under VOIP > SIP

> ACCOUNTS
> >> I note there is a REGISTER VIA drop-down offering
> >> 'NONE','AUTO','WAN','LAN/VPN'. A starter for 10, what happens if
> >> you set this to LAN?
> >>

> > Guess what? Nothing!

> Does it have a route to the internet? Can you ping the internet
> from it?
>
> --
> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
> 23:00:19 up 38 days, 2:55, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00,
> 0.00
> DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,
> AND TIME STARTED FLOWING REVERSELY

Yes, everything is working fine, I'm using it as a WAP elsewhere on my
network where the wireless from the main WAN router (.001) can't reach.
The problem is, neither will the cordless phone.

With DHCP pass through, and the DNS set as the WAN router, you wouldn't
notice the difference! (Except for the VOIP that is )

- Steve