Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Command Controls

Command Controls

AMP

There doesnt seem to be a way of creating paramaterized commands with
the click of a button by adding a Connection control and Command
control like there is with a windows forms application.
I dont want to create a xsd file, I'd like all my code in a class. Am
I missing something?
VS2008
Thanks

Patrice

Ultimately it does create code. Generally designers are using data files so
that you can use the designer to tweak whatever you want at will. Then it
creates code from those data as a <name>.designer.<language> file and you
can customize this code. You should have a "view all files" icon to show the
generated code. Note that your own code will go in another file so thart you
don't loose what you coded when the generated file is recreated.

If you really wish you could hand type the same code but I'm not sure which
benefit you'll get.

Note thought that it's been a long time since I used strongley typed dataset
(I always feel it were a half backed solution, currently I prefer Linq to
SQL or EF which also have a designer and that also have generated code and
that also allows to customize in a seperate code file)

--
Patrice

"AMP" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There doesnt seem to be a way of creating paramaterized commands with
> the click of a button by adding a Connection control and Command
> control like there is with a windows forms application.
> I dont want to create a xsd file, I'd like all my code in a class. Am
> I missing something?
> VS2008
> Thanks

AMP

On Jan 3, 4:22*pm, "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote:
> Ultimately it does create code. Generally designers are using data files so
> that you can use the designer to tweak whatever you want at will. Then it
> creates code from those data as a <name>.designer.<language> file and you
> can customize this code. You should have a "view all files" icon to show the
> generated code. Note that your own code will go in another file so thart you
> don't loose what you coded when the generated file is recreated.
>
> If you really wish you could hand type the same code but I'm not sure which
> benefit you'll get.
>
> Note thought that it's been a long time since I used strongley typed dataset
> (I always feel it were a half backed solution, currently I prefer Linq to
> SQL or EF which also have a designer and that also have generated code and
> that also allows to customize in a seperate code file)
>
> --
> Patrice
>
> "AMP" <(E-Mail Removed)> a crit dans le message denews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > There doesnt seem to be a way of creating paramaterized commands with
> > the click of a button by adding a Connection control and Command
> > control like there is with a windows forms application.
> > I dont want to create a xsd file, I'd like all my code in a class. Am
> > I missing something?
> > VS2008
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

So the xsd file is just a link between the Visual Designers and the
underlying code?
Where is the code? I thought I saw it in a temp file somewhere?
If I have this all wrong, maybe you could explain it.
Thanks

Patrice

>> Where is the code? I thought I saw it in a temp file somewhere?

I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
node. Don't you see that ?

Note that this is a partial class
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8(VS.80).aspx). So if you
are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go. If needed
you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...

--
Patrice

coder316

On Jan 4, 9:31*am, "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote:
> >> Where is the code? I thought I saw it in a temp file somewhere?

> I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
> typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
> node. Don't you see that ?
>
> Note that this is a partial class
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8(VS.80).aspx). So if you
> are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
> under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go. *If needed
> you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...
>
> --
> Patrice

No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
NewUser.xsd
NewUser.xss

coder316

On Jan 4, 10:40*am, coder316 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
> > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
> > node. Don't you see that ?

> > Note that this is a partial class
> > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8(VS.80).aspx). So if you
> > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
> > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go. *If needed
> > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...

> > --
> > Patrice

> No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
> NewUser.xsd
> * * NewUser.xss

I do have a partial screen shot I could show you:
http://ampsoft.com/dataset.jpg

coder316

> > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
> > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
> > node. Don't you see that ?

> > Note that this is a partial class
> > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8(VS.80).aspx). So if you
> > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
> > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go. *If needed
> > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure...

> > --
> > Patrice

> No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
> NewUser.xsd
> * * NewUser.xss

xsd.exe was not installed.

coder316

On Jan 4, 12:28*pm, coder316 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I don't even have to use the "Show All Files" button. If I create a strongly
> > > typed dataset I can see the DataSet1.Designer.cs file under the DataSet1.xsd
> > > node. Don't you see that ?

> > > Note that this is a partial class
> > > (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8(VS.80).aspx). So if you
> > > are using "View Code" in the context menu, you'll see a new DataSet1.cs file
> > > under the DataSet1.Designer.cs file where your own code can go. *If needed
> > > you can also inherit from this class and add your own infrastructure....

> > > --
> > > Patrice

> > No, I just have a .xss file under the .xsd
> > NewUser.xsd
> > * * NewUser.xss

> xsd.exe was not installed.- Hide quoted text -

I'm back.
I cant seem to find out how to install the custom tool to create
the .cs file from a xsd file.
HELP!!

Patrice

> I'm back.
> I cant seem to find out how to install the custom tool to create
> the .cs file from a xsd file.
> HELP!!

Here xsd.exe is installed in the SDK directory. It's really weird through
this is not installed, this port should be very likely installed with the
base product. What if you resintall your VS product ?

--
Patrice

coder316

On Jan 4, 1:34*pm, "Patrice" <http://scribe-en.blogspot.com/> wrote:
> > I'm back.
> > I cant seem to find out how to install the custom tool to create
> > the .cs file from a xsd file.
> > HELP!!

> Here xsd.exe is installed in the SDK directory. It's really weird through
> this is not installed, this port should be very likely installed with the
> base product. What if you resintall your VS product ?
>
> --
> Patrice

I am going to try that tomorrow and post it.