Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ's cyber spies win new powers

NZ's cyber spies win new powers

Ted

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers

"New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
police and Security Intelligence Service officers the power to
monitor all aspects of someone's online life.

"The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS surveillance
capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile calls and texts,
email, internet surfing and online shopping, chatting and social
networking can be monitored anywhere in New Zealand. "

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ted wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers
>
> "New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
> police and Security Intelligence Service officers the power to
> monitor all aspects of someone's online life.
>
> "The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS surveillance
> capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile calls and texts,
> email, internet surfing and online shopping, chatting and social
> networking can be monitored anywhere in New Zealand. "

Damn! I'm going to have to be a lot more careful about how I obtain my bomb
ingredients now. At least I've got the truck and the diesel already......

Anyone notice that diesel starts with die?
--
Shaun.

Trueone

news:hhomgc$am$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ted wrote:
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers
>>
>> "New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
>> police and Security Intelligence Service officers the power to
>> monitor all aspects of someone's online life.
>>
>> "The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS surveillance
>> capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile calls and texts,
>> email, internet surfing and online shopping, chatting and social
>> networking can be monitored anywhere in New Zealand. "

> Damn! I'm going to have to be a lot more careful about how I obtain my
> bomb ingredients now. At least I've got the truck and the diesel
> already......
>
> Anyone notice that diesel starts with die?
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
> warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

And I have the fertiliser waiting for you

Simon

On Jan 3, 12:39*pm, Ted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers
>
> *"New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
> police and Security Intelligence Service *officers the power to
> monitor all aspects of someone's online life.
>
> "The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS surveillance
> capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile calls and texts,
> email, internet surfing and online shopping, chatting and social
> networking can be monitored anywhere in New Zealand. "

At least here in NZ, they still require warrants. Although I wonder
how long it will be before special powers are requested by the SIS.

J.Wilson

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 3, 12:39 pm, Ted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers
>
> "New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
> police and Security Intelligence Service officers the power to
> monitor all aspects of someone's online life.
>
> "The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS surveillance
> capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile calls and texts,
> email, internet surfing and online shopping, chatting and social
> networking can be monitored anywhere in New Zealand. "

At least here in NZ, they still require warrants. Although I wonder
how long it will be before special powers are requested by the SIS.

Why bother. They've got echelon, or they could just ask google.

Simon

On Jan 4, 10:04*am, "J.Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why bother. They've got echelon, or they could just ask google.

What do mean mean? Why bother gaining the powers, or forcing them to
still gain a warrant to obtain the information?

Roger_Nickel

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 14:27:05 -0800, Simon wrote:

> On Jan 4, 10:04*am, "J.Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Why bother. They've got echelon, or they could just ask google.

> What do mean mean? Why bother gaining the powers, or forcing them to
> still gain a warrant to obtain the information?

An interception warrant means that the intercepted information can be
used in court in criminal prosecutions. Conditions are in the Crimes Act.
Only evidence specified in the warrant to be collected. No fishing trips.
ISP's are prohibited from holding customer information longer than
necessary for "network operation purposes".

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Trueone wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hhomgc$am$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ted wrote:
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers
>>>
>>> "New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
>>> police and Security Intelligence Service officers the power to
>>> monitor all aspects of someone's online life.
>>>
>>> "The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS
>>> surveillance capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile
>>> calls and texts, email, internet surfing and online shopping,
>>> chatting and social networking can be monitored anywhere in New
>>> Zealand. "

>> Damn! I'm going to have to be a lot more careful about how I obtain
>> my bomb ingredients now. At least I've got the truck and the diesel
>> already......
>>
>> Anyone notice that diesel starts with die?

> And I have the fertiliser waiting for you

Thanks. The usual place?
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ted wrote:
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203...win-new-powers
>>>
>>> "New cyber-monitoring measures have been quietly introduced giving
>>> police and Security Intelligence Service officers the power to
>>> monitor all aspects of someone's online life.
>>>
>>> "The measures are the largest expansion of police and SIS
>>> surveillance capabilities for decades, and mean that all mobile
>>> calls and texts, email, internet surfing and online shopping,
>>> chatting and social networking can be monitored anywhere in New
>>> Zealand. "

>> Damn! I'm going to have to be a lot more careful about how I obtain
>> my bomb ingredients now. At least I've got the truck and the diesel
>> already......
>> Anyone notice that diesel starts with die?

> hey, did you get that encrypted bomb recipe from Larry D'Loser.
> Fortunately his Loonix has zillion-bit encryption so they won't be
> able to bust him.

Unfortunately <?> I don't see Larry's posts. Was his bomb better than the
average? I want maximum bang for my buck.

TTFN,
--
Shaun.