Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > C837 ADSL firmware

C837 ADSL firmware

Mark Knight

Hi,

Can anyone please advise the latest ADSL firmware
(adsl_alc_firmware.bin) for the C837 (20150 chipset)?

I currently have 3.9.220 that's embedded in IOS 12.4(25b) but I've seen
reference to 3.9.221 existing and I presume there must also be more
recent versions since that dates right back to 2006.

I've tried asking Cisco via a service request but so far they've only
suggested I install firmware that's intended for the C877, so I'm hoping
Usenet is more fruitful!

Best regards,
--
Mark A. R. Knight finger: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Tel: +44 7973 410732 http://www.knigma.org/

make

I didnt find any info about this firmware 3.9.221 in Cisco web pages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/...d8028a982.html
Q. Is there a way to load different firmware apart from that embedded with
the Cisco IOS Software?
A. Yes. This option is available for the ADSL platforms (857, 876, 877, and
877M) to allow independent ADSL firmware upgrade to resolve ADSL
interoperability related issues. There's no need to upgrade Cisco IOS
software when the issue can be resolved with a different version of
firmware.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...d801d5c4c.html

> Can anyone please advise the latest ADSL firmware (adsl_alc_firmware.bin)
> for the C837 (20150 chipset)?
>
> I currently have 3.9.220 that's embedded in IOS 12.4(25b) but I've seen
> reference to 3.9.221 existing and I presume there must also be more recent
> versions since that dates right back to 2006.

Mark Knight

In message <ezZ%m.59330$(E-Mail Removed)>, make
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I didnt find any info about this firmware 3.9.221 in Cisco web pages.

Indeed, but various historic posts including this one reference 3.9.221:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1145043.html

I'm assuming not all posts make it onto the various Cisco external
sites.

Best regards,
--
Mark A. R. Knight finger: (E-Mail Removed)
Tel: +44 7973 410732 http://www.knigma.org/
s/spam/markk/g

bod43

On 3 Jan, 12:07, Mark Knight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In message <ezZ%m.59330$(E-Mail Removed)>, make
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
> >I didnt find any info about this firmware 3.9.221 in Cisco web pages.

> Indeed, but various historic posts including this one reference 3.9.221:
>
> *http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1145043.html
>
> I'm assuming not all posts make it onto the various Cisco external
> sites.

The firmware for
2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

No mention of 837.

Have you tried

int atm 0
dsl firmware secondary

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/rou...e/advconf.html

Maybe updates are available from alcatel?

Rob

bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The firmware for
> 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
> 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
> 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
> 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M
>
> and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here
>
> ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
>
> No mention of 837.

I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. I installed it
on the router (it needs to be renamed...) and it has improved the
performance of the ADSL modem dramatically over the builtin code in
IOS (which was a 3.x version).

No idea if one can use this software on an 837.

Doug McIntyre

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The firmware for
>> 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
>> 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
>> 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
>> 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M
>>
>> and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here
>>
>> ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
>>
>> No mention of 837.

>I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
>file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. I installed it
>on the router (it needs to be renamed...) and it has improved the
>performance of the ADSL modem dramatically over the builtin code in
>IOS (which was a 3.x version).

>No idea if one can use this software on an 837.

Pretty doubtful since the ADSL chip on an 837 is a Globespan, not an Alcatel.

Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading
to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can
find seperately.

Rob

Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading
> to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can
> find seperately.

We bought the 877 new about 3 months ago.
It came with an IOS in which ntp was broken because of a hardware change.
Someone on this group advised me to update the IOS, I did that and the
ntp was working, but in both IOS versions the ADSL firmware is the same
ancient one.

After downloading the newer version 4 firmware and installing it separately
in the flash, the problem we had with ADSL (at first the line is OK but
SNR is decreasing all the time and after some time a re-train is forced)
was completely solved.

I don't know why those boxes are shipped with IOS not matching the
hardware, and old ADSL firmware. But fortunately it was fixable.

Doug McIntyre

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading
>> to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can
>> find seperately.

>We bought the 877 new about 3 months ago.
>It came with an IOS in which ntp was broken because of a hardware change.
>Someone on this group advised me to update the IOS, I did that and the
>ntp was working, but in both IOS versions the ADSL firmware is the same
>ancient one.

>After downloading the newer version 4 firmware and installing it separately
>in the flash, the problem we had with ADSL (at first the line is OK but
>SNR is decreasing all the time and after some time a re-train is forced)
>was completely solved.

>I don't know why those boxes are shipped with IOS not matching the
>hardware, and old ADSL firmware. But fortunately it was fixable.

Right, sometimes from IOS rev to rev, the firmware rev stays the same.
But they can ship a new card firmware in a newer IOS rev as well.
Some future IOS rev you upgrade to may have a newer bug fixed one
compared to what you are force running now.

Such is the nature of things.

bod43

On 3 Jan, 18:27, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The firmware for
> > 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
> > 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
> > 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
> > 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

> > and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

> >ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

> > No mention of 837.

> I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
> file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. *I installed it

Thanks for that. Cisco seem to now put new ADSL
firmware on the main software download page. Of course
this means that you need an account to see it.

The ftp site is still there but there is newer firmware on
the main site now.

Rob

bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 3 Jan, 18:27, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > The firmware for
>> > 2. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
>> > 3. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
>> > 4. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
>> > 5. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

>> > and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

>> >ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

>> > No mention of 837.

>> I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the
>> file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. *I installed it

> Thanks for that. Cisco seem to now put new ADSL
> firmware on the main software download page. Of course
> this means that you need an account to see it.
>
> The ftp site is still there but there is newer firmware on
> the main site now.

Remember that you need to rename the file (remove the version number)
otherwise it will not work.

c837-k9o3y6-mz.122-13.zh2.bin CelInf Cisco 4 02-28-2008 09:52 AM
C837 ADSL SNR Monitoring user Cisco 0 01-23-2007 06:40 AM
C837 High value 'BER valid sec' (2nd post) Tom Lauwereins Cisco 6 04-30-2005 06:49 AM
C837 High value BER valid sec Tom Lauwereins Cisco 0 04-26-2005 09:03 AM
ADSL in the UK and c837 JD Cisco 3 09-10-2004 11:25 PM

Advertisments