Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HELP REQ: getting rid of cached webpage

HELP REQ: getting rid of cached webpage

Donchano

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:00:58 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Donchano threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:31:06 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>> from the highest rooftop:
>>

>>> You should be able to control this via a .htaccess file on the server
>>> which has the default expiration directives in it.
>>>

>> I've found the file on the remote server and downloaded a copy onto my
>> PC. But how do I open/edit it? And what should I change the expiration
>> directives to? TIA
>>

>Its a plain text file, so any text editor should be fine
>
>Good place to start might be:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

I'm reading through all that slowly.

Excluding the bottom two lines which show the authorized user path the
htaccess file reads as follows:

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName www.surfwriter.net

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:00:58 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>Good place to start might be:
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

> I'm reading through all that slowly.

Here <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/caching.html> might be a more
relevant place to start.

> # -FrontPage-

*Spit*

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:00:58 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>

>>> Good place to start might be:
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/
>>>

>> I'm reading through all that slowly.
>>

> Here <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/caching.html> might be a more
> relevant place to start.
>

>> # -FrontPage-
>>

> *Spit*

Heh, even more relevant would be

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_expires.html

Donchano,
adding the lines below will (theoretically at least) cause caches to
expire content 6 hours after they access it.

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault "access plus 6 hours"

OR you can do things like

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 1 hour"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 day"

for pages that have the html changed frequently but the images
are fairly static if you have limited data quotas.

You should just be able to add them to the bottom of the existing file.

HTH

Squigs

Squiggle

Squiggle threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:00:58 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> I'm reading through all that slowly.
>>>

>> Here <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/caching.html> might be a more
>> relevant place to start.
>>

>>> # -FrontPage-
>>>

>> *Spit*
>>

> Heh, even more relevant would be
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_expires.html
>

> Donchano,
> adding the lines below will (theoretically at least) cause caches to
> expire content 6 hours after they access it.
>
> ExpiresActive On
> ExpiresDefault "access plus 6 hours"
>

> OR you can do things like
>
> ExpiresActive On
> ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 1 hour"
> ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 day"
>
> for pages that have the html changed frequently but the images
> are fairly static if you have limited data quotas.
>
> You should just be able to add them to the bottom of the existing file.
>

> HTH
>
> Squigs

And this should work if you want to enforce no caching of content at all:

Header set Cache-Control no-cache

Peter Jenkins

On Jan 3, 11:22*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>
> > But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
> > page loaded without any changes.

> A client of mine had a similar problem a few weeks earlier. I dimly
> remembered a tip from the Netscape days, of holding down the shift key while
> clicking Refresh. He tried it in Firefox, and it worked.

Thank you for that! Much appreciated, very helpful little tip
I have been experiencing the same issue as Donchano with a site I
administer
Had cleared cache in both Firefox and even went so far as to try IE as
well, no
joy. Did as you suggested, all pages came up as they should.

I am also with Xtra (mainly because I get it at a huge discount
through work)
and suspect their cache is munted again. Will try inserting the no-
cache
snippet of code someone else here suggested into the relevant pages
Thanks to whoever that is

Regards
Peter Jenkins
http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Richard

Peter Jenkins wrote:

> I am also with Xtra (mainly because I get it at a huge discount
> through work)
> and suspect their cache is munted again. Will try inserting the no-
> cache
> snippet of code someone else here suggested into the relevant pages
> Thanks to whoever that is

What directives do you have the server issuing on requests to it?

I have many people with xtra and none have reported getting old content
at all from the stuff I oversee, most issues with a 2 min expiration
since that reduces the load on the server heaps with people that go back
rathar than having multiple tabs open.

Donchano

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:28:02 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>Peter Jenkins wrote:
>
>> I am also with Xtra (mainly because I get it at a huge discount
>> through work)
>> and suspect their cache is munted again. Will try inserting the no-
>> cache
>> snippet of code someone else here suggested into the relevant pages
>> Thanks to whoever that is

>What directives do you have the server issuing on requests to it?
>
>I have many people with xtra and none have reported getting old content
>at all from the stuff I oversee, most issues with a 2 min expiration
>since that reduces the load on the server heaps with people that go back
>rathar than having multiple tabs open.

I can't answer for Peter. But there is now a "Project Team" from
Xtra's "Complex Technical Issues Team" working on the problem.
Apparently, it has absolutely nothing to do with webhosts, webhost
servers or my html coding.

What it does have to do with is a particular "band" of IP addresses,
including mine, my immediate neighbours and about 160,000 other Xtra
customers.

At this point, nobody knows what's causing the problem ... only that
it has something to do with the server cache assigned to that
particular band of IP addresses. And there are now other Xtra
customers besides me who are experiencing the same problem.

Updates when available ...

Richard

Donchano wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:28:02 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
> from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Peter Jenkins wrote:
>>
>>> I am also with Xtra (mainly because I get it at a huge discount
>>> through work)
>>> and suspect their cache is munted again. Will try inserting the no-
>>> cache
>>> snippet of code someone else here suggested into the relevant pages
>>> Thanks to whoever that is

>> What directives do you have the server issuing on requests to it?
>>
>> I have many people with xtra and none have reported getting old content
>> at all from the stuff I oversee, most issues with a 2 min expiration
>> since that reduces the load on the server heaps with people that go back
>> rathar than having multiple tabs open.

> I can't answer for Peter. But there is now a "Project Team" from
> Xtra's "Complex Technical Issues Team" working on the problem.
> Apparently, it has absolutely nothing to do with webhosts, webhost
> servers or my html coding.
>
> What it does have to do with is a particular "band" of IP addresses,
> including mine, my immediate neighbours and about 160,000 other Xtra
> customers.
>
> At this point, nobody knows what's causing the problem ... only that
> it has something to do with the server cache assigned to that
> particular band of IP addresses. And there are now other Xtra
> customers besides me who are experiencing the same problem.
>
> Updates when available ...

If you don't know the directives, you don't know if it is really a
problem, or just a cache with overly long defaults for when the server
doesn't specify things.

I remember before the era of ISPs tampering with connections like this
when dialup was considered normal, a popular "tweak" was to change the
browsers handling of unspecified cache controls which caused the same
problem, usually thru some dodgey software called "internet
acceleration" or similar.

If items were not updating on the site I am loosely involved with for
that many xtra users, I would have heard about it. I still think its a
problem with you not instructing the cache on expirations.

Donchano

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:39:59 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>Donchano wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:28:02 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>> from the highest rooftop:

>>> What directives do you have the server issuing on requests to it?
>>>
>>> I have many people with xtra and none have reported getting old content
>>> at all from the stuff I oversee, most issues with a 2 min expiration
>>> since that reduces the load on the server heaps with people that go back
>>> rathar than having multiple tabs open.

>> I can't answer for Peter. But there is now a "Project Team" from
>> Xtra's "Complex Technical Issues Team" working on the problem.
>> Apparently, it has absolutely nothing to do with webhosts, webhost
>> servers or my html coding.
>>
>> What it does have to do with is a particular "band" of IP addresses,
>> including mine, my immediate neighbours and about 160,000 other Xtra
>> customers.
>>
>> At this point, nobody knows what's causing the problem ... only that
>> it has something to do with the server cache assigned to that
>> particular band of IP addresses. And there are now other Xtra
>> customers besides me who are experiencing the same problem.
>>
>> Updates when available ...

>If you don't know the directives, you don't know if it is really a
>problem, or just a cache with overly long defaults for when the server
>doesn't specify things.
>
>I remember before the era of ISPs tampering with connections like this
>when dialup was considered normal, a popular "tweak" was to change the
>browsers handling of unspecified cache controls which caused the same
>problem, usually thru some dodgey software called "internet
>acceleration" or similar.
>
>If items were not updating on the site I am loosely involved with for
>that many xtra users, I would have heard about it. I still think its a
>problem with you not instructing the cache on expirations.

Don't you find it strange that this "problem" (Xtra's term) is only
affecting users within a certain band of IP addresses and nobody else?
Or that the problem disappeared for me when Xtra temporarily assigned
me a static IP address outside that certain band?

Although I was the first person to complain about the problem (during
the Christmas break), according to the tech with whom I spoke
yesterday there are now other users complaining about the same problem
now that people have come back to work.

Richard

Donchano wrote:

> Don't you find it strange that this "problem" (Xtra's term) is only
> affecting users within a certain band of IP addresses and nobody else?
> Or that the problem disappeared for me when Xtra temporarily assigned
> me a static IP address outside that certain band?
>
> Although I was the first person to complain about the problem (during
> the Christmas break), according to the tech with whom I spoke
> yesterday there are now other users complaining about the same problem
> now that people have come back to work.

Not at all suprised at all, but there are a hell of a lot of servers out
there giving no directives.

I still maintain that if you are not giving cache directives then you
have no idea how many other people out there are seeing stale content on
your site without alerting you to it.