Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HELP REQ: getting rid of cached webpage

HELP REQ: getting rid of cached webpage

Donchano

OS: WinXPpro
ISP: Telecom Xtra
ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110

It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
usual.

But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
page loaded without any changes.

Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.

Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
luck.

Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
and IE.

Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
cache.

After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
But no such luck.

Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
page didn't exist.

So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
(without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
wireless connection).

I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.

The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

TIA

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> OS: WinXPpro
> ISP: Telecom Xtra
> ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
> Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
>
> It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
> changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
> usual.
>
> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
> page loaded without any changes.
>
> Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
>
> Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
> luck.
>
> Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
> from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
> directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
> and IE.
>
> Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
> European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
> that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
> suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
> cache.
>
> After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
> Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
> But no such luck.
>
> Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
> Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
> well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
> page didn't exist.
>
> So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
> (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
> wireless connection).
>
> I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
> LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
> computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
> out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
>
> The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

I don't think there's a lot you can do about it (Telecom's cache).

I get no page BTW (Telstraclear cable, Otautahi (chch)).

One would expect an ISP cache to expire every 24hrs or so - and it seems
that's working (from the guff above re the Telecom folk trying it).

Perhaps it is a cache stored by your modem or router - but I assume
you've checked that quite thoroughly.

What do you get if you use IE ( - and then press F12 - and check
through some of the menu's - see if you can find out where the html it
actually coming from. Try the various clear cache options while in
developer mode.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> OS: WinXPpro
> ISP: Telecom Xtra
> ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
> Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
>
> It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
> changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
> usual.
>
> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
> page loaded without any changes.
>
> Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
>
> Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
> luck.
>
> Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
> from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
> directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
> and IE.
>
> Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
> European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
> that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
> suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
> cache.
>
> After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
> Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
> But no such luck.
>
> Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
> Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
> well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
> page didn't exist.
>
> So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
> (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
> wireless connection).
>
> I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
> LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
> computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
> out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
>
> The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

And if some of my suggestions dont' help - try a tracing tool like
Wireshark - it should identify any cache being used.

http://www.wireshark.org/

--
Duncan.

Donchano

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:01:35 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>Perhaps it is a cache stored by your modem or router - but I assume
>you've checked that quite thoroughly.

I've not been able to find any information about clearing/flushing the
caches on either the modem or the router on the net. But I've already
downloaded firmware updates for both so I'll go back and see if I can
also download manuals for them.

>What do you get if you use IE ( - and then press F12 - and check
>through some of the menu's - see if you can find out where the html it
>actually coming from. Try the various clear cache options while in
>developer mode.

Strangely, when I opened IE to check on the page it was no longer
there! But two other pages I've removed from the web root directory at
the same time are:

http://www.surfwriter.net/reviews.htm

http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm

I wonder if you're checking http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm had
anything to do with it finally not loading? Probably not, but if you
would be kind enough to check those other two links to see if they
load for you, I'd be grateful.

Squiggle

Donchano threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> OS: WinXPpro
> ISP: Telecom Xtra
> ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
> Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
>
> It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
> changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
> usual.
>
> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
> page loaded without any changes.
>
> Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
>
> Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
> luck.
>
> Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
> from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
> directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
> and IE.
>
> Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
> European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
> that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
> suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
> cache.
>
> After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
> Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
> But no such luck.
>
> Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
> Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
> well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
> page didn't exist.
>
> So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
> (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
> wireless connection).
>
> I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
> LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
> computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
> out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
>
> The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm
>
> TIA

I think it's _extremely_ unlikely that a router like the d-link would be
running a web cache. It doesn't have enough ram or a hard disk to cache
the information to.

If i'm wrong, it would be easy enough the determine, reboot the router,
that would flush the ram in the router and clear anything it had cached.

Your browser isn't in offline mode by chance is it? Or an entry in your
hosts file pointing at a test server? No local "web-accelator software"
installed?

If its none of the above then my money is on Xtra (or somebody in
their upstream) not expiring it out of their cache. You need to find
out what someone else on an Xtra connection sees when they access
that page. Possibly the "Complex Technical issues" team have their
connection routed differently and avoid the web-cache.

peterwn

On Jan 2, 5:32*pm, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
> LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
> computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
> out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
>
> The page:http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm
>
> TIA

The problem could be at the web host end especially if multiple
mahines are used to serve the site.

Richard

Donchano wrote:
> OS: WinXPpro
> ISP: Telecom Xtra
> ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
> Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
>
> It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
> changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
> usual.
>
> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
> page loaded without any changes.
>
> Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
>
> Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
> luck.
>
> Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
> from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
> directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
> and IE.
>
> Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
> European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
> that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
> suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
> cache.
>
> After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
> Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
> But no such luck.
>
> Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
> Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
> well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
> page didn't exist.
>
> So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
> (without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
> wireless connection).
>
> I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
> LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
> computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
> out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
>
> The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm

What expiry directive were the pages served with? If xtra are caching
beyond what was authorized by the server when they retrieved the page
then they are no better than a p2p bittorrent user with generating
unlicensed copied of your copyrighted work.

If you dont know what expiration directives the server is set up with,
you could try putting in some meta equiv headers which often work, but
only for html content, not images naturally.

I have not had xtra serve cached pages if I did a ctrl F5 to request a
non cached item, but I dont get to use xtra connections very often since
I dont know anyone with one now.

Donchano

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:32:08 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

PROBLEM SOLVED: I applied a simple suggestion offered on another
computer newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

The poster suggested that I simply add an "/" (without the quotes) at
the end of the URL and "that will force a refresh from the site."

It worked!

>OS: WinXPpro
>ISP: Telecom Xtra
>ADSL Modem: D-Link Model DSL-502T V.C5
>Wireless Router: Cisco LINKSYS Model WRT-110
>
>It started on Christmas Eve day. I updated my website and uploaded the
>changed page using SmartFTP. No problems. Everything ticked along as
>usual.
>
>But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
>page loaded without any changes.
>
>Cleaned both caches, but same thing happened.
>
>Cleaned my DSN cache using "ipconfig /flushcache" in run. Rebooted. No
>luck.
>
>Went into the file manager for my web account and deleted the page
>from the root directory and confirmed it was gone from the "remote"
>directory in SmartFTP. But the deleted page STILL loaded in both FF
>and IE.
>
>Filed a ticket with my webhost who checked it out on both their US and
>European servers. They confirmed that the page was no longer there and
>that they got error windows when they attempted to load it. Their
>suggestion: get in touch with my ISP and ask them to clear their
>cache.
>
>After spending quite a long time with Xtra's "Complex Technical
>Issues" team, I was told that the page should be gone within 24-hours.
>But no such luck.
>
>Another long call to Xtra support and the guy from the Complex
>Technical Issues team tried loading the pages on a company computer as
>well as his personal laptop, and got error windows telling him the
>page didn't exist.
>
>So it appears that the problem must be with my modem, because the page
>(without the changes) still loads on both my PC and my laptop (using a
>wireless connection).
>
>I've downloaded new firmware for both the D-Link ADSL modem and the
>LINKSYS wireless router. I've also rebooted and hardbooted both
>computers a number of times after flushing their caches. But I've run
>out of options and thought I'd ask if anyone on nz.comp has any ideas.
>
>The page: http://www.surfwriter.net/links1.htm
>
>TIA

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:

> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
> page loaded without any changes.

A client of mine had a similar problem a few weeks earlier. I dimly
remembered a tip from the Netscape days, of holding down the shift key while
clicking Refresh. He tried it in Firefox, and it worked.

Donchano

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:22:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:
>
>> But when I went to check how the changes looked in FF and IE, the old
>> page loaded without any changes.

>A client of mine had a similar problem a few weeks earlier. I dimly
>remembered a tip from the Netscape days, of holding down the shift key while
>clicking Refresh. He tried it in Firefox, and it worked.

Thanks for replying. Tried that, but it didn't work. What I'm still
seeing is the page before I changed and updated it. Although I removed
the page entirely from the root directory of my webhost's server I
have now re-uploaded the changed/updated page. If I use the following
URL my browsers load the old, unchanged page (without a link to an
interview on the upper right of the page).

http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm

But if I add "/" to the URL the page comes up as "Page Not Found."

http://www.surfwriter.net/the_living_curl.htm/