Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Locked Telecom modems...

Locked Telecom modems...

Dave Doe

Telecom supply these modems...

http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download

A 2Wire 1701 modem - 4 port wireless.

The username cannot be changd to anything other than:
*@xtrabb.co.nz
or
*@xtra.co.nz

Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
rid of the Telecom firmware).

Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
rubbish bin.

--
Duncan.

EMB

On 2/01/2010 1:58 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

> Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
> rid of the Telecom firmware).

Apparently the same firmware image covers /most/ of their newer models
(should have a .2sp file extension).

> Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
> rubbish bin.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/h...modems-642005/

Richard

Dave Doe wrote:
> Telecom supply these modems...
>
> http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download
>
> A 2Wire 1701 modem - 4 port wireless.
>
> The username cannot be changd to anything other than:
> *@xtrabb.co.nz
> or
> *@xtra.co.nz
>
> Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
> rid of the Telecom firmware).
>
> Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
> rubbish bin.

Are you allowed to unlock it and use it with another ISP? I am not
familiar with the contract that they are supplied under, but I know for
example that the orcon homehub remains orcons property, not the users.

Squiggle

Dave Doe threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Telecom supply these modems...
>
> http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download
>
> A 2Wire 1701 modem - 4 port wireless.
>
> The username cannot be changd to anything other than:
> *@xtrabb.co.nz
> or
> *@xtra.co.nz
>
> Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
> rid of the Telecom firmware).
>
> Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
> rubbish bin.

Try seeing if it has an open telnet port, most adsl routers i've used have
had a telnet port where you can get into the heart of the damn things.

Having read the 2wire web page it look like you might be out of luck,
their business model seems to scream "user lock-in"

Try accessing http://192.168.1.254/mdc ,apparently this is the secret
management screen

Dave Doe

In article <hhm802$d1r$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On 2/01/2010 1:58 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>
> > Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
> > rid of the Telecom firmware).
> >

> Apparently the same firmware image covers /most/ of their newer models
> (should have a .2sp file extension).
>
> > Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
> > rubbish bin.
> >

> http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/h...modems-642005/

Cheers, and to you others too.

Jdownloader has the firmware on rapidshare queued - see how it goes...
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...693#post222693

And another on sendspace, also queued - actually, it's jut finished...
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/071.htm

Gonna try the latter first.

--
Duncan.

DaveD

http://www.dsldepot.com/dslmodem.asp?mm=9 might help, as might this
http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...re-1701-router
Also this
http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/1000...tall_Guide.pdf
I have a 2wire modem that came from the states and I seem to remember
having to do a LONG reset (1min +) to get anywhere. It is an 1800 iirc
hth
DaveD
Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <hhm802$d1r$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On 2/01/2010 1:58 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>>
>>> Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
>>> rid of the Telecom firmware).
>>>

>> Apparently the same firmware image covers /most/ of their newer models
>> (should have a .2sp file extension).
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
>>> rubbish bin.
>>>

>> http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/h...modems-642005/

> Cheers, and to you others too.
>
> Jdownloader has the firmware on rapidshare queued - see how it goes...
> http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...693#post222693
>
> And another on sendspace, also queued - actually, it's jut finished...
> http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/071.htm
>
> Gonna try the latter first.

Time Warner Telecom Calls on FCC to Support Competitive Telecom Market by Imposing Conditions to AT&T-BellSouth Merger Knowing About VOIP 0 10-13-2006 07:44 AM
Combo Box Locked Property Ejs ASP .Net 3 12-03-2005 08:46 PM
after IDN test, web locked until restart - ff(dp) beta 1.6b Splibbilla Firefox 1 10-06-2005 09:55 AM
A locked Wireless laptop HelpPls Wireless Networking 1 01-26-2005 07:51 PM
A failure occurred writing to the resources file. Access is denied. -- RESX file is locked? -- WHY? Mark Kamoski ASP .Net 1 07-04-2003 12:02 PM

Advertisments