Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: FastStone Image Viewer

Re: FastStone Image Viewer

Linda Galdieri

> FastOne is wonderful but I never did like how the FSViewer overlays text
> onto a digital photograph
>
> Do you know if the newer FastOne has solved any texting-usability issues?

I should mention FastOne certainly adds text to photos better than
Irfanview 4.22 or MSPaint 5.1 does text (both IrvanView and MSPaint require
you to guess the textbox size ahead of time but neither IrfanView nor
MSPaint will automatically resize the textbox when you inevitably need more
or less textbox room).

On the other hand, Paint.Net 3.36 overlays text without needing a text box
to be guessed at and invariably resized. Paint.Net will even let you move
the text box to a new location on the photograph when you need that too.

Do you know if this latest version of FastOne handles texting better?

Linda Galdieri

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 02:39:36 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

> Perhaps there are people who prefer the IrfanView way of adding text
> because they don't want an automatically resized text box.

I always had a dislike for the IrfanView default approach which requires a
text box to place text inside of. The Paint.Net method, by default, seems
so very much cleaner (because there is no text box when placing text, by
default).

If FastStone (thanks Seabat) could just turn off the text box, it would be
great for texting photos. Likewise for MSPaint.

Does anyone know if this latest FastStone (or IrfanView) has the ability to
turn OFF the textbox when adding text to a digital photo?

F. Reeware

Linda Galdieri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I always had a dislike for the IrfanView default approach which requires a
> text box to place text inside of. The Paint.Net method, by default, seems
> so very much cleaner (because there is no text box when placing text, by
> default).

It appears that people's preferences can differ. What a surprise

F. Reeware

Linda Galdieri

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:09:22 +0100, F. Reeware wrote:

>> IrfanView requires a text box to place text inside of.
>> Paint.Net method needs no text box when placing text

> It appears that people's preferences can differ. What a surprise

Having the option text either way is what I'm searching for.

It would be nice if the software allowed either method of texting (text box
or not).

WalksOnBy

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:23:02 -0800, Linda Galdieri
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:09:22 +0100, F. Reeware wrote:
>
>>> IrfanView requires a text box to place text inside of.
>>> Paint.Net method needs no text box when placing text

>> It appears that people's preferences can differ. What a surprise

>Having the option text either way is what I'm searching for.
>
>It would be nice if the software allowed either method of texting (text box
>or not).

While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
inexpensive Photoline from www.pl32.net On the Layout menu choose "Text to
Picture". There you will find all sorts of options. Automatic text input of
EXIF fields, font selection, foreground and background colors,
transparencies, outline, 3D text, shadows, special effects, etc. Save your
favorites as any preset you like for further quick access. It creates the
text as an independent layer that you can then later manipulate (resize,
move, change the text attributes, change the text, effects, etc.) right on
the photo till your heart's content. After that layer is created then click
on the Text tool when that layer is selected and it acts just like any
other text layer.

Yrrah

WalksOnBy <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
> inexpensive

Then don't post in 'alt.comp.freeware'.

Yrrah

--
Some of the best of the best in Freeware
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

Richard

"Yrrah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WalksOnBy <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
>> inexpensive

> Then don't post in 'alt.comp.freeware'.
>
> Yrrah

Ooohhhh...... OK.
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...k&answer=93773
That's free (sort of).

WalksOnBy

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 03:23:52 -0800, John Corliss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>WalksOnBy wrote:
>> Linda Galdieri wrote:

>>> Having the option text either way is what I'm searching for.
>>>
>>> It would be nice if the software allowed either method of texting (text box
>>> or not).

>> While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) (snip)

>Then why not remove ACF from the crossposting? Alt.comp.freeware is
>supposed to be for the discussion of freeware, not commercial software.

Then remove RPD from the crossposting.

WalksOnBy

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:27:13 +0100, Yrrah <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WalksOnBy <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
>> inexpensive

>Then don't post in 'alt.comp.freeware'.
>
>Yrrah

Then don't post in rec.photo.digital

John McWilliams

Allen wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:04:56 -0800, John Corliss wrote:

>> Lied and in case you don't like it, I live in the United States where
>> freedom of speech is guaranteed by our constitution. Not only that, but
>> I have lots of guns *also a constitutional right here* so if anybody
>> else comes after me, I can simply shoot them to death.

> Plonk!

Please don't publically plonk, esp. x-posted.

alt.comp.freeware out.

--
lsmft