Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip bandwidth

voip bandwidth

andrew

I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.

Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

AJH

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
>talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
>doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.
>
>Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
>about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

Uncompressed G711 voice over IP uses about 80Kbits per second, each
way. It's 64,000 bits per second plus the IP overhead.

If you're using compression (e.g. GSM, G729, etc) then it will be
much less.

You're looking at about 29 hours of speech - one way, but if that 1GB
is counted as both ways data, then it's half, or about 14 hours.

It's not QoS that may be an issue it's more like the terms & conditions
of service. You may well find they prohibit VoIP or other streaming media,
so they may kick you off. Latency may also be an issue - it's quite high,
so you may notice delays. A bit like long distance calls used to be via
sattelite. (And sometimes still are)

Good luck!

Gordon

andrew

Christian wrote:

>> I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many
>> hours of talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me.
>>
>> Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that
>> works out about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

> Is that 1GB up and down combined? Remember that you have 2 streams going:
> one up and one down. So that reduces the result of that calculation to 20
> hours.
>
> Another thing: if you use a G711-codec, it should be 64kbit (G726 or G729
> are more economical, but sound worse). So that gets you to 17 hours on
> 1GB.

Yes I had missed the up and down but presumably people mostly don't speak at
once so the silence shouldn't count?

Either way 17 hours is a lot of talking a month!

Thanks Christian

Graham.

"andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
> talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
> doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.
>
> Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
> about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?
>
> AJH

If you have a compatible handset, you can freeload on the 3 free Skype
calls forever promise, and call through a Skype to SIP gateway.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%