Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Need a simple, secure way to transport & access sensitive data?

Re: Need a simple, secure way to transport & access sensitive data?

VanguardLH

Prof Wonmug wrote:

> I need a mechanism for storing up to 10-12 GB of sensitive data on a
> secure, compact device that can be accessed by Windows PCs (XP and
> later).

TrueCrypt. It has a portable version, too. And it's free.

VanguardLH

Prof Wonmug wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Prof Wonmug wrote:
>>
>>> I need a mechanism for storing up to 10-12 GB of sensitive data on a
>>> secure, compact device that can be accessed by Windows PCs (XP and
>>> later).

>> TrueCrypt.
>> It has a portable version, too.

> So I would buy a regular flash drive, such as the SanDisk or Corsair,
> then install TrueCrypt, right?
>
> Once installed, will TrueCrypt intercept all access to the drive so that
> I just enter the password once, when it's mounted, and then fils will be
> decrypted when read from and encrypted when written to the flash drive?
>
> Does this mean that I can install it on the flash drive so that I can use
> it on any PC without having to install software?

I haven't used the portable version. As I recall, you don't install
anything to just use the portable version. You merely copy the program's
files to the removable drive. You then use it to create an encrypted
container (a file) on that removable drive into which you store your
protected files.

When you open the container, you need to supply the password. The
container remains open until you close it, so you only need to enter the
password once per use of that container.

http://www.truecrypt.org/faq "How can I use TrueCrypt on a USB flash
drive?"