Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Number of Newsgroup Subscriptions

Number of Newsgroup Subscriptions

Herb@MAWS

On Dec 31, 11:59*am, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Herb@MAWS wrote:
> > On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:

> >> close TB, remove the file userChrome.css. *Restart TB.
> >> * *Does the problem continue?

> >> --
> >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
> >> help!!!!

> >> Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

> >> Peter Potamus& *His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles...ttp://www.toon...

> > ==========================

> > Yes problem continues. *As a matter of fact before I removed
> > userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
> > name in the folder list.

> > [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
> > Profile folder.]

> > Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
> > change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).

> > So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
> > Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account. *Reloaded 2 NGs
> > (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable). *Exited out of TB,
> > came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.

> > Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
> > reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

> No.
>
> At this point I would:
>
> 1. create a new clean profile - do NOT install any extensions/add-ons/themes
> 2. set up your news account and subscribe to all your groups
> 3. if this works then migrate your mail accounts from the old profile to
> the new one.
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...ofile_-_Thunde...
>
> OR
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6n2nbv
>
> --
> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net
> We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

Thanx -- will try that. But what about the fact that TB is not
shutting down completely in Task Mgr? Maybe related to the [possibly
funky] profile?

HKL

On 12/31/2009 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Herb@MAWS wrote:
>> On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> close TB, remove the file userChrome.css. Restart TB.
>>> Does the problem continue?
>>>
>>> --
>>> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
>>> help!!!!
>>>
>>> Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
>>>
>>> Peter Potamus& His Magic Flying
>>> Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles...om/potamus.htm
>>>

>> ==========================
>>

>> Yes problem continues. As a matter of fact before I removed
>> userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
>> name in the folder list.
>>
>> [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
>> Profile folder.]
>>
>> Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
>> change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).
>>
>> So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
>> Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account. Reloaded 2 NGs
>> (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable). Exited out of TB,
>> came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.
>>
>> Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
>> reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

> No.
>
> At this point I would:
>
> 1. create a new clean profile - do NOT install any
> extensions/add-ons/themes
> 2. set up your news account and subscribe to all your groups
> 3. if this works then migrate your mail accounts from the old profile to
> the new one.
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri..._-_Thunderbird
>
> OR
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6n2nbv

OK, a new profile seems to be working. Thanx, Ed.

I did notice when I originally upgraded to TB 3.0, there were a dozen
add-ons active, none of which I added -- wonder where they came from or
how they got added ?

So now on to copying my old profile folders into thew new profile -- are
there any I should not copy to the new profile?

Herb@MAWS wrote:

> Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
> reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

if you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the
program. The profile is NOT touched. The profile is
where the vast majority of problems are.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

HKL

On 12/31/2009 1:51 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Herb@MAWS wrote:
>
>> I signed up -- when the NGs load, I don't even see this NG when I
>> search for alt.fan.mozilla -- should I?

> yes, it should be there. I've posted to this group from there many
> times. Did you register? Did you follow the instructions?:
> http://www.eternal-september.org/ind...#Login-No-Auth

Peter and Ed -- Thanx for your help. Seems to be working fine with new
profile. Every time I try to use the old profile, it pretty much
freezes TB. With new profile, TB uses about 51K memory, with the old
profile, it was using 575,000K.

Disregard my questions about Eternal September -- I've signed up and
configured it to ''always authenticate'', which is why I wasn't seeing
the other groups. If I ever need to use it, I've got it set up &
ready-to-go.

I've learned to not always try to figure out the "why" of a problem
occurring -- just git'er fixed, which the new profile seems to have
accomplished. I suspect the problem has something to do with the dozen
or so add-ons I found in TB after upgrading to v3.0 -- altho I did not
put them there. I'm not an "add-on kinda guy". Strange, at best.

I'll give the new profile 24 hrs of operating time before I delete the
old one -- just in case the issue reoccurs with the new profile.

HKL

On 12/31/2009 3:29 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> HKL wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> At this point I would:
>>>
>>> 1. create a new clean profile - do NOT install any
>>> extensions/add-ons/themes
>>> 2. set up your news account and subscribe to all your groups
>>> 3. if this works then migrate your mail accounts from the old profile to
>>> the new one.
>>>
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri..._-_Thunderbird
>>>

>>> OR
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6n2nbv
>>>

>> OK, a new profile seems to be working. Thanx, Ed.
>>
>> I did notice when I originally upgraded to TB 3.0, there were a dozen
>> add-ons active, none of which I added -- wonder where they came from or
>> how they got added ?

> Does anyone else use your computer? Did you do the original installation
> or someone else? Also, you might try running the old profile and
> uninstalling all the add-ons, restart, and see if the original problems
> go away.

Yes, son and wife use machine but they don't mess with add-ons -- they
surf or do school papers -- and that's about it. I checked and no one
has done anything like that. I disabled all add-ons, but it did not matter.

HKL

On 12/31/2009 4:34 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> HKL wrote:
>
>> Yes, son and wife use machine but they don't mess with add-ons -- they
>> surf or do school papers -- and that's about it. I checked and no one
>> has done anything like that. I disabled all add-ons, but it did not
>> matter.

> since you have many people also using your computer, then you don't know
> for sure that they aren't the ones doing the messing. They could be
> changing things and aren't telling you.
>
> There's always a way to remedy these sort of things. Why don't you set
> each one up with their own profile? So, now you will have 3 profiles.
> One for wife, one for son, and one for you. You can also set it up so
> each one will have their own TB icon to start TB. You can also set yours
> up with a master password, so this way they can't get in your profile
> and change things.
>
> If you also use the Firefox browser, then you can do the same with that.
>
> When things are done this way, no matter how much your wife and son
> messes with "their" profile, it will not affect yours.
>
> All this is just a suggestion, though!

We all heave separate profiles for FF and T-Bird, which is why I don't
think they have anything to do with my profile issues.