Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > All your phones are belong to us

All your phones are belong to us

Sailor Sam

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sec...1230-lj90.html

Hmm, I seem to recall that Telecoms XT network is some CDMA variant,
does that mean only vodafone is insecure?

Mary Hanna

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:12:03 +1300, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sec...1230-lj90.html
>
>Hmm, I seem to recall that Telecoms XT network is some CDMA variant,
>does that mean only vodafone is insecure?

WCDMA

Yes, but for what..?

Simon

On Dec 30, 4:12*pm, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sec...rs-as-mobile-p...
>
> Hmm, I seem to recall that Telecoms XT network is some CDMA variant,
> does that mean only vodafone is insecure?

Yes, that is also my understanding from the technical documentation
I've read. Telecom's WCDMA network doesn't fall back to the 2G GSM
standard like the Vodafone network does.

Richard

Simon wrote:
> On Dec 30, 4:12 pm, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sec...rs-as-mobile-p...
>>
>> Hmm, I seem to recall that Telecoms XT network is some CDMA variant,
>> does that mean only vodafone is insecure?

> Yes, that is also my understanding from the technical documentation
> I've read. Telecom's WCDMA network doesn't fall back to the 2G GSM
> standard like the Vodafone network does.

Vodafones only does if you enable it on your handset to connect back to it.

With them getting 900MHz in urban areas next year (finally) it remains
to be seen how much of the GSM network is left to fall back to.