Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problem formatting C drive (Please Help)

Problem formatting C drive (Please Help)

Randy and Ann

Hi,

I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using the
factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive and
reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.

My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
it comes up with this:

FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]

[/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].

Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
above means?

Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
had to fix mine.

Sam

JD

Randy and Ann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
> boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using the
> factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive and
> reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
> already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>
> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
> it comes up with this:
>

> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>
> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>

> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
> above means?
>

> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
> had to fix mine.
>

> Sam

Hi There

You cannot format a drive you are using, also if you are reinstalling
you do not need to format it as the Operating System disk will do this
for you.

I suggest you read this thoroughly before you do anything:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../overview.mspx

there may also be an easier way to fix it, what make is the PC if its a
shop bough PC it most probably has a recovery partition on it, a few key
presses and it could be back to the way it was when new, usually you
press F11 just after the POST screen, then follow the instructions.

JD

Randy and Ann

JD,

Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST screen'.
The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known good mode,
or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from the F drive
prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not that easy.... I
tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed of death (again),
that's why I thought about scratching everything and and starting over. The
error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software and/or to remove any
firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up the computer. I
appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.

Thanks, Sam

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b3a9eea$0$2540$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Randy and Ann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it
>> to boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried
>> using the factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C
>> drive and reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C
>> drive, I've already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>>
>> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C
>> drive, it comes up with this:
>>

>> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>>
>> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>>

>> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
>> above means?
>>

>> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me
>> I had to fix mine.
>>

>> Sam
>>

> Hi There
>
> You cannot format a drive you are using, also if you are reinstalling you
> do not need to format it as the Operating System disk will do this for
> you.
>
> I suggest you read this thoroughly before you do anything:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../overview.mspx
>
> there may also be an easier way to fix it, what make is the PC if its a
> shop bough PC it most probably has a recovery partition on it, a few key
> presses and it could be back to the way it was when new, usually you press
> F11 just after the POST screen, then follow the instructions.
>
> JD

Jeff Strickland

You can't reformat the boot drive. Yoou have to boot to a different drive
and then format.

What you need is the XP Installation CD, put it in the tray, set the Boot
Priority in BIOS to look for the CD first, and then choose Install, not
Repair. After going through a couple of screens, then you can choose the
Repair option -- the C Drive will be listed as an installation location,
select it then choose the option for a fresh install.

The data on your HDD will be destroyed.

"Randy and Ann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZLw_m.79857$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>

> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it to
> boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried using
> the factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the C drive
> and reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C drive, I've
> already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>
> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C drive,
> it comes up with this:
>

> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>
> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>

> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the info
> above means?
>

> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me I
> had to fix mine.
>

> Sam

Jeff Strickland

"Randy and Ann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kWx_m.2583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JD,
>
> Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
> enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST
> screen'. The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known
> good mode, or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from
> the F drive prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not
> that easy.... I tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed
> of death (again), that's why I thought about scratching everything and and
> starting over. The error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software
> and/or to remove any firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up
> the computer. I appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.
>
> Thanks, Sam

POST = Power On System Test.

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b3a9eea$0$2540$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Randy and Ann wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it
>>> to boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried
>>> using the factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the
>>> C drive and reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C
>>> drive, I've already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>>>
>>> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C
>>> drive, it comes up with this:
>>>

>>> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>>>
>>> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>>>

>>> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the
>>> info above means?
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me
>>> I had to fix mine.
>>>

>>> Sam
>>>

>> Hi There
>>
>> You cannot format a drive you are using, also if you are reinstalling you
>> do not need to format it as the Operating System disk will do this for
>> you.
>>
>> I suggest you read this thoroughly before you do anything:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../overview.mspx
>>
>> there may also be an easier way to fix it, what make is the PC if its a
>> shop bough PC it most probably has a recovery partition on it, a few key
>> presses and it could be back to the way it was when new, usually you
>> press F11 just after the POST screen, then follow the instructions.
>>
>> JD

JD

Randy and Ann wrote:
> JD,
>
> Thank you for the help. I should start out saying that I know just
> enough to be dangerous.... I'm not sure what you mean by 'the POST screen'.
> The computer is a DELL. It won't boot up in safe mode, last known good mode,
> or any other mode. I thought I would format the C drive from the F drive
> prompt and then just reinstall the soft ware, but it's not that easy.... I
> tried to install XP from the CD, but I get the blue screed of death (again),
> that's why I thought about scratching everything and and starting over. The
> error I get says to uninstall virus or back up software and/or to remove any
> firewalls. I can't do any of that if I can't boot up the computer. I
> appreciate any hand-holding assistance anyone can give me.
>
> Thanks, Sam

The POST screen is the first thing you see when you turn the PC on some
people refer to it as the BIOS Screen, its all the same tho, it will
show you how much memory you have, type of CPU and your Drives, or it
will be the Dell logo (you can usually press the TAB key to see the info
if the logo is displayed, or you can turn it off in your BIOS settings)

The first thing I would try is seeing if it has a recovery partition
this will be easier than a full re/install as you will have to look for
driver's if you do that.

So turn on the PC wait for the BEEP just after the POST screen and
before the windows XP loading screen (or where that would normally be)
press F11 (it may also be CTRL + F11) and see if you get the Dell
recovery option if you do follow the instructions.

if not, make sure your computer is set to boot from CD first then HDD,
you will find these options in your BIOS settings, usually labeled BOOT
ORDER or something similar, you usually press DEL or F2 to get into the
BIOS settings but it will tell you at the bottom of the screen when you
turn the PC on "Press Del to enter Setup ....."

you can then insert your Windows XP disk, you should get the "Press any
Key to boot from CD .." press a key, all the following screens should be
Blue.

you should follow these instructions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/install.mspx

the only difference for you will be the part about partitions, you will
want to select each one then delete them (highlight it and press D) once
all the partitions are gone it will show up as free space, just press
enter and select quick format, the rest should be a case of following
the on screen instructions.

You say you get a blue screen of death where does this happen and what
does it say ? As I'm not sure if your are loading the Repair disk or if
its the OS (XP) that is loading, BSOD Can mean Hardware Failure or it
could just be a faulty driver or .dll

JD

Randy and Ann

I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still kicking
my butt...
It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and changed
them
so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death' comes
about a
second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code (maybe
I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I did some more
research
and found it at this website: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

I would appreciate the help if someone could "dumb this down" a little bit
for me....

Thank you to anyone who can assist in helping me (teaching me).

Sam

"James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hhgak3$15vk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>>
>> What you need is the XP Installation CD, put it in the tray, set the Boot
>> Priority in BIOS to look for the CD first, and then choose Install, not
>> Repair. After going through a couple of screens, then you can choose the
>> Repair option -- the C Drive will be listed as an installation location,
>> select it then choose the option for a fresh install.
>>
>> The data on your HDD will be destroyed.
>>
>> "Randy and Ann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ZLw_m.79857$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have been having issues with my computer and can't get it
>>> to boot up. I've already tried to start it in safe mode and I tried
>>> using the factory boot disk; neither one works. I decided to format the
>>> C drive and reload windows, but I can't figure out how to format the C
>>> drive, I've already tried standard format C:/ command at the DOS prompt.
>>>
>>> My computer is operating off Windows XP. When I try to format the C
>>> drive, it comes up with this:
>>>

>>> FORMAT [/help] drive: [/F: size] [/N: sectors /T: tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8]
>>>
>>> [/A] [[/B : /S]] [/Q] [/V [Label]].
>>>

>>> Any idea of what I should type in to format the C drive and what the
>>> info above means?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. My parents won't let me on their computer and told me
>>> I had to fix mine.
>>>
>>> Sam
>>>

> In simplest, non-computerese terms, when you start your computer, you
> enter "Start Up" "Start Up" option appears at the top of your black
> screen when your computer is first turned on, and it will tell you what
> button(s) you have to push to enter Start Up. For some Dell's, it's one
> of the (f)Keys. It will flash past this option fairly quick and go on to
> other things, so you have to pay attention and act quickly when prompted.
>

> Once inside Start Up, you'll find the Boot Sequence. Change as necessary.
>
> IF other recovery options don't work for you AND you still want to attempt
> to Format the drive:
>
> IF you have a floppy drive:
>
> IF you have a floppy boot disk (also called Start Up disk or Recovery
> Disk), try booting from the floppy. Just put it in and Restart the
> computer to see if it will boot from floppy first.
>
> IF the floppy won't boot, then you'll have to change the Boot Sequence in
> BIOS (Start Up) just as you would for attempting to boot from CD.
>
> Floppy boot disks usually contain the bare minimum to boot your computer
> to A: drive (the floppy drive), but sometimes have basic DOS commands.
>
> THEN, on the boot disk itself OR if you have an old DOS disk, you might
> find FORMAT.EXE on one of these.
>
> IF SO, then you can Format from this disk. Just type Format C: and
> Execute. It will give you the warning and cancel option. Just tell it to
> go ahead and format. How long it takes depends on your HDD.
>
> IF you can't boot to either CD or floppy, you may be looking at something
> more serious than your hard drive or Operating System, possibly your Power

Paul

Randy and Ann wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still kicking
> my butt...
> It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and changed
> them
> so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death' comes
> about a
> second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code (maybe
> I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I did some more
> research
> and found it at this website: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html
>
> I would appreciate the help if someone could "dumb this down" a little bit
> for me....
>
> Thank you to anyone who can assist in helping me (teaching me).
>
> Sam

Make sure it is actually booting from the CD, and not going to the hard
drive instead. Since you mention "Windows logo", that sounds like it
is still the hard drive that is doing the booting.

Some BIOS screens will say something like "press a key to boot from CD",
even though the CD is logically the thing the user wants to boot from.
So even if it is in the boot order, it may still require you to press
a key to get the CD to boot (within a short timeout period).

There are a number of options you could be following, to put Windows
back on the machine. Some of the options would do more damage than others.
For example, I could tell you to get a copy of DBAN and erase the entire
hard drive, but a side effect of that, is you could lose the recovery partition
if the machine was a Dell/HP etc.

On the one hand, we want to help. On the other, we have to be careful not
to recommend things you may later regret.

Examine your bootup process more carefully, to see whether the machine
is actually trying to boot from CD. Some of the screens flash by
so fast, that you may miss an option on the screen. You can try pressing
the "Pause" key, if this is happening at the BIOS level. Pressing another
key after "Pause" should allow the sequence to continue.

Also, take a look in the user manual that came with the computer.
It contains a lot of irrelevant info, but you could benefit from
reading the portion of the manual that deals with the recovery
partition and burning recovery media. The BIOS may have a key you
press, which causes the C: drive to be wiped out and returned to
factory condition. That is their idea of doing you a favor, by
wiping out all your user files on C

Paul

Baron

Randy and Ann Inscribed thus:

> I want to thank everyone for the assistance, but this thing is still
> kicking my butt...
> It won't boot from the XP installation CD. I entered the BIOS and
> changed them
> so the computer boots from the CD first. The 'blue screen of death'
> comes about a
> second after the windows logo comes up. The blue screen has a code
> (maybe I should've brought this up in the first place) 0X00000024. I
> did some more research
> and found it at this website:
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352.html

That suggests HDD failure...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Randy and Ann

Baron, Paul, James, Jeff, JD, Janus, and anyone eles who jumped in to
provide assistance,

I wanted to thank you for the help you provided. We ended up having
a bad hard drive.
Your assistance helped to save us $$$$$.

Thanks again! Sam

news:hhi2qv$bdm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...