Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Calendar in Gridview

Calendar in Gridview

Arne Garvander

How do I add a calendar control in a Gridview?
Are any other good ideas for verifying a date in a Gridview?
--
Arne Garvander
(Happily unemployed professional Geek)

Gregory A. Beamer

=?Utf-8?B?QXJuZSBHYXJ2YW5kZXI=?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:5E88D191-14F9-

> How do I add a calendar control in a Gridview?
> Are any other good ideas for verifying a date in a Gridview?

TemplateField is the main answer.

NOTE: There are some tricks to this, as explained here:
http://snurl.com/twkeo

Editing in the Grid, which is the main reason for this type of control,
is something you have to think over carefully, as it can end up with a
mess. Users often think that edits to a Grid immediately appear in the
database, which is only the case if you wire it up (generally AJAX).
This is a usability issue.

I find it better, in most cases, to have the row editing in a FormView,
for two reasons:

1. It focuses the user on the edit
2. The user is more likely to realize they have to mash the save button
to get the changes to the database

This is not saying that editing in a Grid is always wrong, just that it
is less usuable in the non-AJAX model, due to user perception from using
windows apps.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)