Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > skydrive explorer

skydrive explorer

gamma

Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out.
http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php

What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

Why would skydrive explorer be free?

Peter Jenkins

On Dec 30, 12:59*am, gamma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out.http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php
>
> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?
>
> Why would skydrive explorer be free?

I wouldn't mind knowing this too, as this service looks like it might
be a good solution for a problem I have had.

Had a nosy around the site, possibly the business model is to get
users
hooked on a free service providing up to 25GB of storage with file
size
limited to 50MB, and then provide a premium paid service for people
who need more or want extra features. I also notice they are carrying
on their site, which will generate a bit of income, and are also
asking for
donations for development of new releases.

Google reveals nothing about sinister motives, only that it is a bit
buggy
for some users

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, gamma wrote:

> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

Source code.

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
> (E-Mail Removed)>, gamma wrote:
>
>> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
>> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

> Source code.

Yeah right. Who looks at source code? The writers of malicious code
could probably release their source code without anyone bothering to
check up.

Cheers,

Cliff

gamma

On Dec 30, 5:31*pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
> > (E-Mail Removed)>, gamma wrote:

> >> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
> >> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

> > Source code.

> *>
> Yeah right. Who looks at source code? The writers of malicious code
> could probably release their source code without anyone bothering to
> check up.

yep.
I wonder whether there's a U.S. govt department that looks into cyber
security who investigates things like this. I wonder how often people
have their credit card details stolen by trojans or whatever.

Is it possible to track who the makers of skydrive explorer are, or
does using a web host give them total anonimity?

http://whois.domaintools.com/skydriveexplorer.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <e28060c9-ef26-47c9-b083-
(E-Mail Removed)>, gamma wrote:

> I wonder whether there's a U.S. govt department that looks into cyber
> security who investigates things like this.

If they published their source code, anybody could check it for themselves.