Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Lost PC sound.

Re: Lost PC sound.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <0a56265a-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, ChristianKnight
wrote:

> I don't know if someone or some virus has deleted my sound software.

Always worth trying a Linux live CD just to isolate whether it’s a Dimdows
problem or not.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <e0220168-6f17-4a64-971e-
(E-Mail Removed)>, ChristianKnight wrote:

> If it fails with a Linux live CD is it still a virus?

Not likely. It would more likely point to a hardware problem.

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <e0220168-6f17-4a64-971e-
> (E-Mail Removed)>, ChristianKnight wrote:
>
>> If it fails with a Linux live CD is it still a virus?

> Not likely. It would more likely point to a hardware problem.

It would have to be a strange hardware problem, since his PCI sound card
didn't work either.

Cheers,

Cliff

Jonno

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b3d1f7f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <e0220168-6f17-4a64-971e-
>> (E-Mail Removed)>, ChristianKnight wrote:
>>
>>> If it fails with a Linux live CD is it still a virus?

>> Not likely. It would more likely point to a hardware problem.
> >

> It would have to be a strange hardware problem, since his PCI sound card
> didn't work either.

I don't suppose he's tried the easy things like seeing if there is a tick
in the "Mute All" box in the Master Volume control panel?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <5c57e076-aeb9-43ef-
(E-Mail Removed)>, ChristianKnight wrote:

> It's all fixed now and not a cent spent.

Except for how many hours spent reinstalling everything?

How much is your time worth?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1bbeaa05-0191-4d53-
(E-Mail Removed)>, ChristianKnight wrote:

> It's all cleared up now with a good old fashioned format.

I’ve never had to reformat/reinstall a Linux system just to fix a
configuration stuffup.