Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How get Vista PC to write to Win 7 PC someplace other than Public

How get Vista PC to write to Win 7 PC someplace other than Public

angela g

My old XP laptop and my Vista PC got along very well sharing files on my
wireless network. Setting up the privileges and sharing was straight forward
and it pretty much always worked as I expected.

5.5-year-old laptop finally died last month so I bought a new Win7 laptop.
The wireless network setting and sharing LOOKED straight forward but the only
way I can write to the Win 7 laptop from the Vista is if the files are I want
to write to are in the public documents folder. I've gone thru the motions
more than once so the Vista should be able to write to other folders on
laptop but those changes or settings just don't "take".

Since I have separate virtual drives on each PC, there is no practical way
for me to limit my file share to Pub Docs Folder on laptop.

As far as I can tell, I can't use Homegroup since that is apparently only
for Win 7.

How can I make Vista have as much accessibility to my Win 7 laptop as it did
to my old XP laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

You may want to create the same user with the same password on all
computers. Or this search result may help.
Windows 7 Issues
Added Windows 7 to domain and now have no admin privileges ยท Create
Windows 7 System Image ... Windows 7: New unidentified network after every
reboot ...
www.chicagotech.net/windows7/win7issues.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"angela g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My old XP laptop and my Vista PC got along very well sharing files on my
> wireless network. Setting up the privileges and sharing was straight
> forward
> and it pretty much always worked as I expected.
>
> 5.5-year-old laptop finally died last month so I bought a new Win7 laptop.
> The wireless network setting and sharing LOOKED straight forward but the
> only
> way I can write to the Win 7 laptop from the Vista is if the files are I
> want
> to write to are in the public documents folder. I've gone thru the motions
> more than once so the Vista should be able to write to other folders on
> laptop but those changes or settings just don't "take".
>
> Since I have separate virtual drives on each PC, there is no practical way
> for me to limit my file share to Pub Docs Folder on laptop.
>
> As far as I can tell, I can't use Homegroup since that is apparently only
> for Win 7.
>
> How can I make Vista have as much accessibility to my Win 7 laptop as it
> did
> to my old XP laptop?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
When you configure the Network in Win7 use the Work network settings, and
set the folders that you want to share with permission and users in the same
way that it is done in Vista.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).