Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does W7 support Usenet

Does W7 support Usenet

Sweetpea

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:51:57 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Simon wrote:

>>> So then your assertion that it could never happen, is incorrect.

>> Please reread what exactly the assertion is about: that /etc could get
>> trashed by simply writing to one document somewhere in that directory.
>>
>> That can never happen.

> It can, for a specifically crafted and named file.
>
> I could create a single file, that if you put into your /etc directory
> with a certain name, would hose your system.

fstab

Sweetpea

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:00:15 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:

>>> It can, for a specifically crafted and named file.
>>>
>>> I could create a single file, that if you put into your /etc directory
>>> with a certain name, would hose your system.

>> fstab

> While a specifically crafted fstab would prevent a system from booting,
> it wouldn't hose it as you could always replace it after booting up with
> a live CD or USB drive.

It would "hose" it as it wouldn't be able to boot and would need to be repaired.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> To the point where it would empty all of your partitions and then delete
>>> them. I think a reinstall would be required after that.

>> All right then, prove it.

> It is trivial for a script running as root to delete all files.

a) How would you write such a script into /etc without root access?
b) How would you get the system to execute it?

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> To the point where I’d have to reinstall? Not possible.

>> To the point where it would empty all of your partitions and then delete
>> them. I think a reinstall would be required after that.

> All right then, prove it.

fstab, inittab, all of /etc/init.d, dbus-1, all the upstart stuff if you
are using that, all of alternatives, if you use that, all your
Gnome/KDE/whatever DM, lvm, modules, network stuff, resolv.conf,
nssswitch.conf. PAM, ssh, terminfo, all the X stuff.

Well, I guess you could fix all those by hard, but it would be a lot
quicker to reinstall. Unless, as you no doubt will claim, you have a
backup on the hard disk to restore from.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:
>
>> The one gripe I have with my RAID setup is when it rebuilds itself (which
>> is has done about 4 times in a couple of years, normally because of a
>> power failure), it slows down startup so much that is take a couple of
>> hours to startup.

> I have had first-hand experience of two disk failures on software RAID
> setups, and in both cases the rebuild made no perceptible difference to
> system responsiveness.

I'm with Lawrence on this, almost. A software RAID rebuild noticeably
slows a system down, but it shouldn't make it unusable. Unless your RAID
array has more than one IDE disk on a IDE channel.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Sweetpea wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:51:57 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In message
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> Please reread what exactly the assertion is about: that /etc could get
>>> trashed by simply writing to one document somewhere in that directory.
>>>
>>> That can never happen.

>> It can, for a specifically crafted and named file.
>>
>> I could create a single file, that if you put into your /etc directory
>> with a certain name, would hose your system.

> fstab

That's recoverable without a reinstall.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Allistar wrote:
> Sweetpea wrote:

>>> It can, for a specifically crafted and named file.
>>>
>>> I could create a single file, that if you put into your /etc directory
>>> with a certain name, would hose your system.

>> fstab

> While a specifically crafted fstab would prevent a system from booting, it
> wouldn't hose it as you could always replace it after booting up with a
> live CD or USB drive.

Most likely it would just drop you to bash shell, so you'd not need those.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> All right then, prove it.

>> It is trivial for a script running as root to delete all files.

> a) How would you write such a script into /etc without root access?
> b) How would you get the system to execute it?

That's a trivial people problem.

Cheers,

Cliff

Sweetpea

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:37:41 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> "Hose" to me means destroy all data, not simply prevent booting.

"Hose" to me means to render unusable.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:37:41 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> If you were
> to be really malicious you'd use a script, in which you could do pretty
> much anything you like so long as it's running as root.

If you were _really *really* malicious_ you would use the following as root user "rm -r -f /*"

DO NOT USE that unless you really wanted to entirely obliterate the whole system - software and data
including data on physically separate devices.