Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does W7 support Usenet

Does W7 support Usenet

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> Yes, but how many times would /etc get trashed by simply writing to one
>> document somewhere in that directory?

> Never.

Agreed. About the same frequency as the registry gets trashed by simply
updating a single key or data.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but how many times would /etc get trashed by simply writing to one
>>> document somewhere in that directory?

>> Never.

> I'm sure a well place command (rm -rf /etc) in /etc/init.d/bootmisc or
> some other init script would deal havoc to your system when rebooted.

Which you’d have to do deliberately.

Simon

On Jan 5, 12:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>>> Yes, but how many times would /etc get trashed by simply writing to one
>>> document somewhere in that directory?
> >> Never.

> > I'm sure a well place command (rm -rf /etc) in /etc/init.d/bootmisc or
> > some other init script would deal havoc to your system when rebooted.

> Which youd have to do deliberately.

So then your assertion that it could never happen, is incorrect.

Enkidu

Simon wrote:

>>> I'm sure a well place command (rm -rf /etc) in /etc/init.d/bootmisc or
>>> some other init script would deal havoc to your system when rebooted.

>> Which youd have to do deliberately.

> So then your assertion that it could never happen, is incorrect.

Lawrence uses software RAID, so it's bound to happen to him sooner
rather than later.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon wrote:

>>> I'm sure a well place command (rm -rf /etc) in /etc/init.d/bootmisc or
>>> some other init script would deal havoc to your system when rebooted.

>> Which you’d have to do deliberately.

> So then your assertion that it could never happen, is incorrect.

Please reread what exactly the assertion is about: that /etc could get
trashed by simply writing to one document somewhere in that directory.

That can never happen.

Enkidu

Allistar wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Simon wrote:

>>> So then your assertion that it could never happen, is incorrect.
>>>

>> Lawrence uses software RAID, so it's bound to happen to him sooner
>> rather than later.

> I use software RAID to as it means I am not bound to the proprietary
> format of a particular hardware controller. I can take my RAID and
> use it without worry on any computer running mdadm. I don't see that
> software RAID is any less robust that hardware RAID. As for
> performance? That's possibly another, separate issue.

Hm, right. That's what Lawrence says. As for what I have seen, software
RAID failures, a handful, hardware RAID failures, none. And software
RAID arrays that periodically rebuild themselves, a handful of those too.

I use software RAID at home, but I'd never use it on terabyte arrays.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Simon wrote:

>>> So then your assertion that it could never happen, is incorrect.

>> Please reread what exactly the assertion is about: that /etc could get
>> trashed by simply writing to one document somewhere in that directory.
>>
>> That can never happen.

> It can, for a specifically crafted and named file.
>
> I could create a single file, that if you put into your /etc directory
> with a certain name, would hose your system.

To the point where I’d have to reinstall? Not possible.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> I don't see that software RAID is any less robust that hardware RAID. As
> for performance? That's possibly another, separate issue.

Don’t see why performance should be an issue at all. CPU usage for software
RAID on, say, any CPU less than 15 years old, would be minuscule.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I could create a single file, that if you put into your /etc directory
>>> with a certain name, would hose your system.

>> To the point where I’d have to reinstall? Not possible.

> To the point where it would empty all of your partitions and then delete
> them. I think a reinstall would be required after that.

All right then, prove it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> The one gripe I have with my RAID setup is when it rebuilds itself (which
> is has done about 4 times in a couple of years, normally because of a
> power failure), it slows down startup so much that is take a couple of
> hours to startup.

I have had first-hand experience of two disk failures on software RAID
setups, and in both cases the rebuild made no perceptible difference to
system responsiveness.