Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does W7 support Usenet

Does W7 support Usenet

Donchano

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:42:58 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:39:01 +1300, Donchano
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:14:50 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>>Yeah, the 'news' that it reads is collectively known as 'Usenet'.
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

>>I'm at a loss to know why you're bothering to tell me this since my
>>first post makes it abundenly clear that I'm already aware of what
>>Usenet is and that my resply made it clear that I already use a proper
>>newsreader for Usenet rather than a mail client like OE or a browser &
>>Google Groups.

>Don, one of your posts was:
>
>"Since I don't use OE for anything, let alone Usenet, I can't possibly
>comment."
>
>Perhaps that was what prompted Enkido's response

Perhaps Enkido should learn to read and interpret English.

Let me repeat: I do NOT use OE for *anything* - let alone USENET. And
if Enkido was using a decent newsreader instead of OE he/she/it would
have known that I was using a proper Usenet newsreader instead of a
piece of **** like Outlook Express.

Donchano

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:45:02 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Donchano wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:27:29 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> Um, what do you think you are posting on ? Google Groups or
>>> something ?
>>>
>>> geoff

>> If you used a decent newsreader instead of a POS like OE you wouldn't
>> have to ask that question and be able to see that I'm using Forté
>> Agent 5x - which is a decent newsreader.

>And Forte Agent posts to, um, USENET, or somewhere else ?

Of course it does. Why would you think otherwise? If you read my
original post you'll see that I wrote that "I don't use OE for
anything, let alone Usenet." That's because OE is a crap newsreader
and a crap mail client.

>I can see that from OE. Tried Forte, and pretty much all the others, and
>they all miss the boat somewhere along the line, for me. I use OE through
>CHOICE !

More likely through ignorance ...

--

Ignorance is the coin of the masses ... and some are richer than others.

Donchano

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:06:47 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Mary Hanna wrote:
>

>> OE is crap Newreader, May be Agent was over you head..?
>>
>> May be u missed the Boat.

>Maybe. But if that's your opinion then it's a strong argument for the
>contrary, cos you are totally in outer space with most of your opninions on
>pretty much everything.

OE is not only a crap newsreader, it's a crap mail client as well -
especially when compared to something like Mozilla Thunderbird. But it
does suit some people, simply because they don't know any better and
aren't willing to admit it.
--

Ignorance is the coin of the masses ... and some are richer than others.

Max Burke

On 30/12/2009 10:46 a.m., geoff wrote:
>> Donchano wrote:
>> Of course it does. Why would you think otherwise? If you read my
>> original post you'll see that I wrote that "I don't use OE for
>> anything, let alone Usenet." That's because OE is a crap newsreader
>> and a crap mail client.

> What ytou wrote seems to have been understood by some of us in the
> connotation:

> ie- " don't use OE for anything" AND "(I don't use) Usenet for anything".
> All clear now.

Shouldn't that have been 'seems to have been *MISUNDERSTOOD* by some of
us...'

Found Images

Donchano

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:46:08 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Donchano wrote:
>
>> Of course it does. Why would you think otherwise? If you read my
>> original post you'll see that I wrote that "I don't use OE for
>> anything, let alone Usenet." That's because OE is a crap newsreader
>> and a crap mail client.
>>
>>> I can see that from OE. Tried Forte, and pretty much all the others,
>>> and they all miss the boat somewhere along the line, for me. I use
>>> OE through CHOICE !

>> More likely through ignorance ...

>No. As I've said, I've tried 'em all. And found something unsatisfactory
>about each for my (simple) requirements.

Each to his own. But have you tried Mozilla Thunderbird? It's far more
simple and user friendly than OE for both mail and Usenet.

>What ytou wrote seems to have been understood by some of us in the
>connotation:
>
>ie- " don't use OE for anything" AND "(I don't use) Usenet for anything".
>All clear now.

Speaking of Usenet, you'll notice that I've just upgraded my
newsreader to the latest Agent release. It's quite an improvement over
v5x and Forté offers a 30 day free trial if you'd like to try it
again.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:06:47 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Mary Hanna wrote:
>>

>>> OE is crap Newreader, May be Agent was over you head..?
>>>
>>> May be u missed the Boat.

>> Maybe. But if that's your opinion then it's a strong argument for the
>> contrary, cos you are totally in outer space with most of your
>> opninions on pretty much everything.

> OE is not only a crap newsreader, it's a crap mail client as well -
> especially when compared to something like Mozilla Thunderbird. But it
> does suit some people, simply because they don't know any better and
> aren't willing to admit it.

Are you feeling particularly arrogant today or are you always convinced that
your way is the only way?

I use OE (for usenet only, nor email set up in it, and with OEQuotefix) out
of *informed* choice. I try a different newsreader about every three months
as folks (usually with messiah-complex's) seem convinced that to use OE is
to ask for trouble/be ignorant/be in league with Satan. However, after
trying many other newsreaders I find that OE suits me best.

It does exactly what I want and I'm happy with it (although I'll likely try
another client in the near future, if there's better [for me] then I want
it). I take offence at your insulting me for my choice.
--
Shaun.

Enkidu

Donchano wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:42:58 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:39:01 +1300, Donchano
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:14:50 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> I'm at a loss to know why you're bothering to tell me this since my
>>> first post makes it abundenly clear that I'm already aware of what
>>> Usenet is and that my resply made it clear that I already use a proper
>>> newsreader for Usenet rather than a mail client like OE or a browser &
>>> Google Groups.

>> Don, one of your posts was:
>>
>> "Since I don't use OE for anything, let alone Usenet, I can't possibly
>> comment."
>>
>> Perhaps that was what prompted Enkido's response

> Perhaps Enkido should learn to read and interpret English.
>
> Let me repeat: I do NOT use OE for *anything* - let alone USENET. And
> if Enkido was using a decent newsreader instead of OE he/she/it would
> have known that I was using a proper Usenet newsreader instead of a
> piece of **** like Outlook Express.

Perhaps you should learn to read.

Also, I don't have Outlook Express on my computer.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Donchano wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:46:08 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Donchano wrote:
>>
>>> Of course it does. Why would you think otherwise? If you read my
>>> original post you'll see that I wrote that "I don't use OE for
>>> anything, let alone Usenet." That's because OE is a crap newsreader
>>> and a crap mail client.

>>> More likely through ignorance ...

>> No. As I've said, I've tried 'em all. And found something unsatisfactory
>> about each for my (simple) requirements.

> Each to his own. But have you tried Mozilla Thunderbird? It's far more
> simple and user friendly than OE for both mail and Usenet.

I'm happy with what I have.

>> What ytou wrote seems to have been understood by some of us in the
>> connotation:
>>
>> ie- " don't use OE for anything" AND "(I don't use) Usenet for anything".
>> All clear now.

> Speaking of Usenet, you'll notice that I've just upgraded my
> newsreader to the latest Agent release. It's quite an improvement over
> v5x and Forté offers a 30 day free trial if you'd like to try it
> again.

Do they still do "Free Agent"? I used that for two years and
contemplated getting the full version, but I decided to use my present
newsreader.

Cheers,

Cliff

Carnations

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:00:49 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>> Perhaps Enkido should learn to read and interpret English.

What is there to "interpret" if plain standard English is used?

>> Let me repeat: I do NOT use OE for *anything* - let alone USENET. And
>> if Enkido was using a decent newsreader instead of OE he/she/it would
>> have known that I was using a proper Usenet newsreader instead of a
>> piece of **** like Outlook Express.
>>

> Perhaps you should learn to read.
>
> Also, I don't have Outlook Express on my computer.

Indeed you're using Thunderbird.

As a complete aside, do you know if there is any code shared between MS Outlook and Outlook
Express in any of its renamed variants?

I know that Microsoft claims that they're separate applications of MS Windows, but MS also claimed in
2008 that MS Office was a new office productivity suite - not withstanding that MS Office was first
released in 1989 - 20 years ago - and was just a marketing term for a bundled suite of applications -
MS Word 4.0, MS Excel 2.20 and MS PowerPoint 2.01 (of which MS Word was released as early as
1984); and has been subsequently re-released with additions or modifications in intervals of between 1
& 3 years.

So, MS Word is in fact a 25 year old application.

Erik Vastmasd

I caught a glimpse of Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> on Mon, 28 Dec 2009
20:06:57 +1300, writing in nz.comp:

>Why I ask is that Outlook Express in no longer used.
>
>And from the looks of it Windows Live Mail has no support..
>
>I had a quick try of Live Mail, I got rid of it in a few hours utterly Total
>Crap..

I see you are using Agent 5 currently, it can be upgraded to Agent 6
which works well under Windows 7.
--

Erik