Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HN's $288 netbook special

HN's $288 netbook special

joe_90

If you missed out on the limited supply of HP Mini 110-1111TU in the
Harvey Norman 'Big Sale', they are now offering rain checks for genuine
customers (personal callers).

more info -

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...&TopicId=55233

http://twitter.com/harveynormanNZ

Squiggle

joe_90 threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> If you missed out on the limited supply of HP Mini 110-1111TU in the
> Harvey Norman 'Big Sale', they are now offering rain checks for
> genuine customers (personal callers).
>
> more info -
>
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...&TopicId=55233
>
> http://twitter.com/harveynormanNZ

Thanks for the heads up on this, Missed out on the original batch due to
attending
the boxing day races at Ellerslie.

Saw your message yesterday and had a quick read, so jumped into the car
and headed
to my local store where the staff denied all knowledge of rainchecks. A
few tweets
and emails later that was sorted. Just about to head over to the store
to pay a
deposit on a netbook of "similar specs" for the advertised price.

First round is on me if we ever meet.

joe_90

On 29-12-09 12:01, Squiggle wrote:

> First round is on me if we ever meet.

Cheers! You're welcome.

It will be interesting to see what model they come up with - some are
suggesting the W7 variant of the same model (which I think comes with
2GB RAM). I could be talked into accepting that

I'm not comfortable with stumping up the $'s pretty much blind (not my
idea of a 'rain check' either), but after a short discussion with the
salesperson I got an assurance I could get a full refund if the spec.
was inferior.

For the money, it's a no brainer. Hopefully HN will realise they have a
potential public relations disaster brewing and they will do the right
thing. We shall see...

For anyone else considering this deal, the sale ends today (29th).

(just for the reconrd, I have no connection with HN - they probably
don't want this offer publicised).

Squiggle

joe_90 threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> On 29-12-09 12:01, Squiggle wrote:
>
>> First round is on me if we ever meet.

> Cheers! You're welcome.
>
> It will be interesting to see what model they come up with - some are
> suggesting the W7 variant of the same model (which I think comes with
> 2GB RAM). I could be talked into accepting that

ooh, aah, I dunno, twist my arm why dontcha Oh, go on, throw in
something with the Nvidia ION chipset instead.

> I'm not comfortable with stumping up the $'s pretty much blind (not my
> idea of a 'rain check' either), but after a short discussion with the
> salesperson I got an assurance I could get a full refund if the spec.
> was inferior.
>
> For the money, it's a no brainer. Hopefully HN will realise they have
> a potential public relations disaster brewing and they will do the
> right thing. We shall see...

So long as its a 10" netbook with 1GB+ and an atom N280 or better i'll
be happy.

> For anyone else considering this deal, the sale ends today (29th).
>
> (just for the reconrd, I have no connection with HN - they probably
> don't want this offer publicised).

I think you'd be doing well to get in on the deal now, I believe they
have pulled the ads etc. And at that price I can't see how its anything
but a loss-leader, so they will be trying to keep it quiet.

I imagine somebody in the marketing dept is going to be getting a bit of
a *******ing.

CJG

Thats pretty stink they must have only done that recently i went in on
sunday and they would not do rain checks. i rang them before i went
and they said that they could do a rain check i got there and they
would`nt do it its pretty stink. i even tried going to noel leeming to
get them to macth the price but they would not do this as it is
exclusive to harvey normans i think it was a matter of first in first
served

joe_90

On 29-12-09 21:43, CJG wrote:
> Thats pretty stink they must have only done that recently i went in on
> sunday and they would not do rain checks. i rang them before i went
> and they said that they could do a rain check i got there and they
> would`nt do it its pretty stink. i even tried going to noel leeming to
> get them to macth the price but they would not do this as it is
> exclusive to harvey normans i think it was a matter of first in first
> served

I think the rain checks started on Monday - looks that way from the
geekzone thread. I suggest you go back and try to find the salesperson
you spoke to on Sunday. I'm sure they could sort this for you, but
expect to have to exercise your diplomacy skills (ie. be polite but
insistent).

Good luck.