Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC.

Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC.

Mary Hanna

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:54:40 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings folks,
>
>I am considering buying a bare-bones PC for my home office. Intended
>use is small-company administration - MS Office, emails, web browsing.
>
>Having looked around a bit there is a 'barebones' box available from
>Atech that I can buy assembled but without Windows installed.
>
>It is many years since I have installed Windows anywhere. While I am
>no expert on this I have had no difficulty installing the likes of ME
>and XP and I can usually work my way around any odd issues that arise.
>However I have never done this on a new machine. Once Windows is
>installed I plan to install Partition Manager and use this to
>reconfigure the physical drive into multiple logical drives (as I have
>done for my other two PCs running XP).
>
>I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium. Are there any
>gotchas related to installing 7 on a new machine?
>
>Please note that my choice of OS is not up for debate and that
>therefore comments about other OSs are off-topic.

You do not need Partition Magic to partition the Drive use the Tool from the
HD maker..

peterwn

On Dec 28, 12:52*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:54:40 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Greetings folks,

> >I am considering buying a bare-bones PC for my home office. *Intended
> >use is small-company administration - MS Office, emails, web browsing.

> >Having looked around a bit there is a 'barebones' box available from
> >Atech that I can buy assembled but without Windows installed.

> >It is many years since I have installed Windows anywhere. *While I am
> >no expert on this I have had no difficulty installing the likes of ME
> >and XP and I can usually work my way around any odd issues that arise.
> >However I have never done this on a new machine. *Once Windows is
> >installed I plan to install Partition Manager and use this to
> >reconfigure the physical drive into multiple logical drives (as I have
> >done for my other two PCs running XP).

> >I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium. *Are there any
> >gotchas related to installing 7 on a new machine?

> >Please note that my choice of OS is not up for debate and that
> >therefore comments about other OSs are off-topic.

> You do not need Partition Magic to partition the Drive use the Tool from the
> HD maker..

OP's question was fair enough as he wanted to ascertain the
partitioning features (if any) of Win 7 noting that Microsoft has a
strong preference for one partition only on HD's. A wise move is to
have the 'Documents and Settings' folder on a separate partition, but
this unfortunately requires some 'knowhow'.

Mary Hanna

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:56:02 -0800 (PST), peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 28, 12:52*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:54:40 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Greetings folks,

>> >I am considering buying a bare-bones PC for my home office. *Intended
>> >use is small-company administration - MS Office, emails, web browsing.

>> >Having looked around a bit there is a 'barebones' box available from
>> >Atech that I can buy assembled but without Windows installed.

>> >It is many years since I have installed Windows anywhere. *While I am
>> >no expert on this I have had no difficulty installing the likes of ME
>> >and XP and I can usually work my way around any odd issues that arise.
>> >However I have never done this on a new machine. *Once Windows is
>> >installed I plan to install Partition Manager and use this to
>> >reconfigure the physical drive into multiple logical drives (as I have
>> >done for my other two PCs running XP).

>> >I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium. *Are there any
>> >gotchas related to installing 7 on a new machine?

>> >Please note that my choice of OS is not up for debate and that
>> >therefore comments about other OSs are off-topic.

>> You do not need Partition Magic to partition the Drive use the Tool from the
>> HD maker..

>OP's question was fair enough as he wanted to ascertain the
>partitioning features (if any) of Win 7 noting that Microsoft has a
>strong preference for one partition only on HD's. A wise move is to
>have the 'Documents and Settings' folder on a separate partition, but
>this unfortunately requires some 'knowhow'.

There is a simple tool to move it.

Tweak- 7

http://www.totalidea.com/

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn
wrote:

> ... noting that Microsoft has a strong preference for one partition only
> on HD's.

Which is such a stupid restriction in this day and age. Particularly with
Windows’ well-known inability to keep user data and system code separate.

> A wise move is to have the 'Documents and Settings' folder on a separate
> partition, but this unfortunately requires some 'knowhow'.

And also apparently breaks some apps. And it might not even help
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/6dd7c66ffa8e176c>.