Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How sort video files within a folder?

How sort video files within a folder?

Fruit2O

I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
want to use it. Thank you............

rmo555@cox.net

Thanks so much for your reply. Your story is almost identical to mine.
My wife takes the pictures of our two grandsons and I'm supposed to do
the rest. Sounds like you're way ahead of me. I've never worked with
AVIs before and I haven't done much burning - although I have the
capability. I also have Nero 9. I don't know how to put this - but my
biggest hurdle right now is how to sort the AVIs by date taken and,
although you explained what you do, by the time I get the capture card,
the shoot order is not in order anymore. You see, other people add
their own files to our capture folder. Trust me - I need to find a way
to put the AVIs in shoot order (Date Taken) preferably in the same
folder as the JPGs (but separate folders can work too) and I can't
figure it out. Also, I don't know what you mean by "motion wall menu."
What is a multi-track DVD?....and what is VLC Media Player? Thanks so
much for your help.

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:21:38 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)" <CLicker>
wrote:

> [...]

>and snaps/vids which are not about the child from the capture folder
>to a MISC folder.
>
>On her PC she can play the .AVIs (which are 15 fps motion JPEGs) and
>.JPGs intermixed using VLC media player. She retains the "shoot"
>order because of the default incremental numeric file names created by
>the OS's included capture software. On her DVD players she can play
>the videos as a DVD or the stills as a slide show, but they are on
>separate discs because of her hardware limitations.
>
>Thus the chapters of the DVD and the folders of the snap shots depict
>the ascending days and months of the child's life. As do the merged
>files in the folders on her PC.
>
>Twice so far she's given me a list of folder\file numbered names to
>remove from future optical disc creations before she distributes to

Fruit2O

Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:20:27 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Fruit2O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
>> The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
>> description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
>> woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
>> end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
>> files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
>> temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
>> the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
>> the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
>> AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
>> together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
>> taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
>> do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
>> in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
>> be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
>> I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
>> me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
>> Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
>> want to use it. Thank you............

> You posted to video groups with "DVD" in their name,
>does that indicate that you intend to use the .jpg and .avi
>files in a DVD production of some sort?
>
> There are a number of programs that can author mixed
>"slideshow" and video DVDs. Most include some support
>for organizing your A/V source files.
>
> www.videohelp.com has listings
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Capt. Cave Man

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:00:17 -0600, "Ken Maltby" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Fruit2O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
>> my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?
>>

> And I still don't have an answer to my question, or
>any reason as to why the organizing features I brought
>up are not sufficient to your needs.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Sorting in ANY of Windows' file explorers is easy.

Netmask

On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
> Now, with the AVI files all alone
> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.

Try Date Modified

Fruit2O

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.

>Try Date Modified

Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
metadata and I want to learn how to do that.

Fruit2O

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Fruit2O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
>> my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?
>>

> And I still don't have an answer to my question, or
>any reason as to why the organizing features I brought
>up are not sufficient to your needs.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Forgive me Ken but I'm not a well man and spend most of my days with
severe head pain. So, it's very difficult for me to be prompt. I also
forget a lot and misunderstand a lot because the pain is very
distracting. In any case, I appreciate the help you and all the others
offer in these newsgroups. I'd be lost without you guys.

Capt. Cave Man

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
>>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
>>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
>>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
>>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
>>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
>>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.

>>Try Date Modified

>Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
>know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
>try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
>the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
>metadata and I want to learn how to do that.

Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.

Capt. Cave Man

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:49:43 -0500, Fruit2O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:00:17 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Fruit2O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
>>> my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?
>>>

>> And I still don't have an answer to my question, or
>>any reason as to why the organizing features I brought
>>up are not sufficient to your needs.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

>Forgive me Ken but I'm not a well man and spend most of my days with
>severe head pain. So, it's very difficult for me to be prompt. I also
>forget a lot and misunderstand a lot because the pain is very
>distracting. In any case, I appreciate the help you and all the others
>offer in these newsgroups. I'd be lost without you guys.

Move to California and get a Cannabis prescription.

Fruit2O

Tried that - didn't work.