Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ever see these types in a camera store?

Ever see these types in a camera store?

RichA

They carry around a little pad of paper, furiously scribbling notes as
a way of controlling the nagging self-doubt that accompanies every
purchase they ever make, from a pack of gum to things like camera
lenses. The sales people will often quip: "You writing a book?"
Once they've purchased the product, massive doubt sets in (formerly
known in the psychiatrist lexicon as "buyer's remorse"), no matter how
much due-diligence they've used prior to making the purchase and they
go off on a quest to ask as many people as possible to validate their
purchase, so they can have peace of mind. If someone should tell them
that in their opinion, the purchase was ill-advised, this will often
provoke a near-violent reaction on the part of the doubting buyer as
one negative response needs at least 10 more positive ones to counter
it. More than one negative response will likely result in the buyer
returning the item, without any thought given to how the product
actually works for them, personally.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33629171

Dave Cohen

On 12/26/2009 1:44 PM, RichA wrote:
> They carry around a little pad of paper, furiously scribbling notes as
> a way of controlling the nagging self-doubt that accompanies every
> purchase they ever make, from a pack of gum to things like camera
> lenses. The sales people will often quip: "You writing a book?"
> Once they've purchased the product, massive doubt sets in (formerly
> known in the psychiatrist lexicon as "buyer's remorse"), no matter how
> much due-diligence they've used prior to making the purchase and they
> go off on a quest to ask as many people as possible to validate their
> purchase, so they can have peace of mind. If someone should tell them
> that in their opinion, the purchase was ill-advised, this will often
> provoke a near-violent reaction on the part of the doubting buyer as
> one negative response needs at least 10 more positive ones to counter
> it. More than one negative response will likely result in the buyer
> returning the item, without any thought given to how the product
> actually works for them, personally.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33629171

You are such a superior being, how on earth can you stand being
surrounded by so many lesser beings. You must have great fortitude. We
sympathize with you and hope to hell we never meet you in person, in
which case we would be needing great fortitude.

RichA

On Dec 26, 6:48*pm, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/26/2009 1:44 PM, RichA wrote:
>

> > They carry around a little pad of paper, furiously scribbling notes as
> > a way of controlling the nagging self-doubt that accompanies every
> > purchase they ever make, from a pack of gum to things like camera
> > lenses. *The sales people will often quip: *"You writing a book?"
> > Once they've purchased the product, massive doubt sets in (formerly
> > known in the psychiatrist lexicon as "buyer's remorse"), no matter how
> > much due-diligence they've used prior to making the purchase and they
> > go off on a quest to ask as many people as possible to validate their
> > purchase, so they can have peace of mind. *If someone should tell them
> > that in their opinion, the purchase was ill-advised, this will often
> > provoke a near-violent reaction on the part of the doubting buyer as
> > one negative response needs at least 10 more positive ones to counter
> > it. *More than one negative response will likely result in the buyer
> > returning the item, without any thought given to how the product
> > actually works for them, personally.

> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33629171

> You are such a superior being, how on earth can you stand being
> surrounded by so many lesser beings. You must have great fortitude. We
> sympathize with you and hope to hell we never meet you in person, in
> which case we would be needing great fortitude.

Isn't it time you returned whatever it is you just bought from B&H?

Twibil

On Dec 26, 11:44*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Once they've purchased the product, massive doubt sets in (formerly
> known in the psychiatrist lexicon as "buyer's remorse")... (Snip)

These is not now, nor has there ever been, anything called "buyer's
remorse" in the "psychiatrist lexicon". (For that matter, there's no
"psychiatrist lexicon", either.)

But it's easy to understand why you might have had a passing
aquaintance with a Psychiatrist.

Or several.

Bristolian

RichA wrote:
> They carry around a little pad of paper, furiously scribbling notes as
> a way of controlling the nagging self-doubt that accompanies every
> purchase they ever make, from a pack of gum to things like camera
> lenses. The sales people will often quip: "You writing a book?"
> Once they've purchased the product, massive doubt sets in (formerly
> known in the psychiatrist lexicon as "buyer's remorse"), no matter how
> much due-diligence they've used prior to making the purchase and they
> go off on a quest to ask as many people as possible to validate their
> purchase, so they can have peace of mind. If someone should tell them
> that in their opinion, the purchase was ill-advised, this will often
> provoke a near-violent reaction on the part of the doubting buyer as
> one negative response needs at least 10 more positive ones to counter
> it. More than one negative response will likely result in the buyer
> returning the item, without any thought given to how the product
> actually works for them, personally.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33629171

I understand this feeling only too well, except in my case) the remorse
doesn't set in until the wife - SWMBO - gets to know about the purchase

--
Regards

Bristolian

Robert Coe

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:24:13 -0500, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:00:48 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
: wrote:
:
: >On Dec 26, 6:48*pm, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> On 12/26/2009 1:44 PM, RichA wrote:
: >>
: >>
: >>
[...]
: >
: >Isn't it time you returned whatever it is you just bought from B&H?
:
: Too late. I kept it for more than 15 days and I had to deal with Canon
: USA service and support. Big mistake.

I'm surprised if Canon Service gave you a hard time. I had dealings once with
the Jamesburg shop, and they were helpful and professional. And they didn't
charge me for a repair that they could plausibly have claimed was my fault.
(It was a firmware upgrade, and I became confused by the on-screen helps and
therefore failed to follow the more-specific printed instructions.) I needed
the camera back in a hurry for an event in Philadelphia, and they arranged to
get it done quickly so I could pick it up on the way.

Bob

Chrlz

On Dec 27, 5:44*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> They carry around a little pad of paper, furiously scribbling notes as
> a way of controlling the nagging self-doubt that accompanies every
> purchase they ever make, from a pack of gum to things like camera
> lenses. *The sales people will often quip: *"You writing a book?"
> Once they've purchased the product, massive doubt sets in (formerly
> known in the psychiatrist lexicon as "buyer's remorse"), no matter how
> much due-diligence they've used prior to making the purchase and they
> go off on a quest to ask as many people as possible to validate their
> purchase, so they can have peace of mind. *If someone should tell them
> that in their opinion, the purchase was ill-advised, this will often
> provoke a near-violent reaction on the part of the doubting buyer as
> one negative response needs at least 10 more positive ones to counter
> it. *More than one negative response will likely result in the buyer
> returning the item, without any thought given to how the product
> actually works for them, personally.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33629171

Rich, why haven't you returned to the thread where you claimed you had
tested thermal properties of plastic v. metal and shown how inferior
plastic cameras were? ("For the LAST TIME..")

What annoys ME is people who run when their claims are challenged.