Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Post illustrates the problem with auto and program modes on cameras

Post illustrates the problem with auto and program modes on cameras

RichA

They can't be all things to all people. There comes a time when you
have to go full manual to control a photographic situation. Yes, it
would be nice to have a Auto ISO mode that would allow you to set a
minimum shutter speed based on the lens you have attached, but in lieu
of that, controlling the shutter speed manually and using aperture as
the variable and making a test or educated guess as to the ISO that
will be required is the best choice.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34067294

NameHere

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:24:51 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>They can't be all things to all people. There comes a time when you
>have to go full manual to control a photographic situation. Yes, it
>would be nice to have a Auto ISO mode that would allow you to set a
>minimum shutter speed based on the lens you have attached, but in lieu
>of that, controlling the shutter speed manually and using aperture as
>the variable and making a test or educated guess as to the ISO that
>will be required is the best choice.
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34067294

Wow, you're amazed at what REAL photographers have been doing for many
decades?

I'm not really surprised. All you DSLR snapshooter trolls don't have a clue
what photography entails anyway.

RustY

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> They can't be all things to all people..................

So true.

Robert Peirce

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They can't be all things to all people. There comes a time when you
> have to go full manual to control a photographic situation. Yes, it
> would be nice to have a Auto ISO mode that would allow you to set a
> minimum shutter speed based on the lens you have attached, but in lieu
> of that, controlling the shutter speed manually and using aperture as
> the variable and making a test or educated guess as to the ISO that
> will be required is the best choice.

Try a Nikon. I get auto ISO in the range I specify. I can run in
program mode and adjust shutter/aperture by twirling a knob. I can
press a button and twirl the same knob to adjust EV. It is all in
knowing your controls. You can keep it as simple as you need it to be
or as complicated as you want it to be.