Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Half cooked security?

Half cooked security?

JimL

If my 2 computer network is half wired and half wireless, do the same
procedures apply for setting up security, or can I apply security only to
the wireless side?

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Wireless has one specific security arrangement that is meant to secure the
Wireless airborne signal and prevent unauthorized log on through the
Wireless to your Network.
In addition, all other security measures, like Firewall, AntiVirus, etc.,
have to apply to both the Wire, and the Wireless connection.
Wireless Connection Security.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hh3j4m$dec$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> If my 2 computer network is half wired and half wireless, do the same
> procedures apply for setting up security, or can I apply security only to
> the wireless side?
>
> --
> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>
> JimL

JimL

Great thumbnail of wireless security levels. Thanks.

I have one computer wired to a router port while the other runs wirelessly.
I _THINK_ maybe you said my wired computer must run a wireless security
protocol as well as the wireless computer, even though no one can drive by
my house and tune in wirelessly to my wired computer. Is that correct?

Or did you say that a wireless computer can not be secured if there is a
wired computer on the network?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

JimL

If y'all don't mind I'd like to get to my actual question.

"can I apply security only to the wireless side?"

Perhaps I should reword it.

"can I apply security to only the wireless side?"

Or:

"can I apply security to the wireless side regardless of the wired side?"

Or:

"can I apply security WITHIN the wireless connection between the router and
the wireless computer?"

I'm not asking about levels of security or additional security, but
.............. the question in my OP.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Please read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#secure
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hh5ucj$ljf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> If y'all don't mind I'd like to get to my actual question.
>
> "can I apply security only to the wireless side?"
>
> Perhaps I should reword it.
>
> "can I apply security to only the wireless side?"
>
> Or:
>
> "can I apply security to the wireless side regardless of the wired side?"
>
> Or:
>
> "can I apply security WITHIN the wireless connection between the router
> and the wireless computer?"
>
> I'm not asking about levels of security or additional security, but
> ............. the question in my OP.
>

> "Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> If I may... neither actually.
>>
>> Basically what he said is that a wireless connection offers ONE
>> ADDITIONAL security measure that is not available on a wired connection.
>> That additional measure - encryption - is only necessary becuase a
>> wireless connection is the only one of the two that present an
>> over-the-air security risk. Other than that, security measures are the
>> same for both.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hh5fos$rvf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> Great thumbnail of wireless security levels. Thanks.
>>>
>>> I have one computer wired to a router port while the other runs
>>> wirelessly. I _THINK_ maybe you said my wired computer must run a
>>> wireless security protocol as well as the wireless computer, even though
>>> no one can drive by my house and tune in wirelessly to my wired
>>> computer. Is that correct?
>>>
>>> Or did you say that a wireless computer can not be secured if there is a
>>> wired computer on the network?
>>>
>>> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> --
>>> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>>>
>>> JimL
>>>

> --
> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>
> JimL

JimL

I guess you're pulling my leg, saying you have no idea what wireless
security is. How can I say it better than wireless. Radio? RF
frequencies? What does wireless security between a computer and a router
mean? Very obviously making sure I'm the only one using it. I think
someone used the word sniffing. You don't know about that? I don't believe
it. What else would wireless computer security mean but secure
transmission? What magic word is it you want me to say? You tell _me_ what
wireless security is. My guess is that it's probably encryption of some
sort or a thousand sorts, but I'm not a wireless security expert.

Anti-virus? Firewalls? Get serious. By the most simple logic that applies
equally to wired connections and I DID make it clear I'm not talking about a
wired connection. So I don't get your question.

Back then to my question. Whatever wireless security is, and however many
varieties it comes in, can you do it to a wireless connection when a wired
computer (and nothing else) is on the other end of the router. That's what
I have asked and am asking. A wire is naturally secure unless you have it
extending into the public place. Can you secure the unsecured (wireless)
end? I'm sorry but it seems like a simple question to me.

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

JimL

Thanks.

I see nothing there about having one wired computer and one wireless
computer on a router and how to secure the wireless one.

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
My post from the 25th explains the Wireless security.
That is what is needed to be done with the Wireless regardless of whether
you have (or do not have) a wire connection too.
In addition a personal Network (wire, and or Wireless) if used for Internet
connection, needs to be secured from the Internet too.
This type of security is done by making sure that each computer (Wire, and
Wireless) has installed and active, Firewall, AntiVirus, and AntiSpyware
applications.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hh6uep$jc2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Thanks.
>
> I see nothing there about having one wired computer and one wireless
> computer on a router and how to secure the wireless one.
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Please read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#secure
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hh5ucj$ljf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> If y'all don't mind I'd like to get to my actual question.
>>>
>>> "can I apply security only to the wireless side?"
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should reword it.
>>>
>>> "can I apply security to only the wireless side?"
>>>
>>> Or:
>>>
>>> "can I apply security to the wireless side regardless of the wired
>>> side?"
>>>
>>> Or:
>>>
>>> "can I apply security WITHIN the wireless connection between the router
>>> and the wireless computer?"
>>>
>>> I'm not asking about levels of security or additional security, but
>>> ............. the question in my OP.
>>>

>>> "Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> --
>>> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>>>
>>> JimL
>>>

> --
> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>
> JimL

JimL

"Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Back then to my question. Whatever wireless security is, and however
>> many varieties it comes in

> Here is your original question...
>
> "If my 2 computer network is half wired and half wireless, do the same
> procedures apply for setting up security, or can I apply security only to
> the wireless side?"
>
> Nowhere in your question was the phrase "wireless security". Just
> "security".
>
> You're welecome for all the help.
>
> -Frank

I quote, "security only to the wireless".

I call that wireless security.

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

JimL

OK, I am taking the phrase "to be done with the Wireles" to mean that I can
turn on WPA or something on only the wireless side and it will work with the
wired side that way. I had read several statements saying both computers
had to be set up identically. Apparently that is not true.

news:O%23unda%(E-Mail Removed)...