Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: event driven programming

Re: event driven programming

Bruce Cook

superpollo wrote:

> hi clc.
>
> i see that from time to time people get rerouted to more appropriate
> newsgroups when asking about windows applications.
>
> i would like to know if C gives any support to event driven (gui)
> programming, with some examples if possible.
>
> i know there's nothing about it in the standard library, but i am really
> courious about it: did anyone ever wrote a gui application using (a lot
> of) standard C? is there some preferred way to isolate the non portable
> part of the app?

If you look a the M$ SDK documentation you will find samples & templates of
C based event loop code. There is also similar samples for X11 event loops.

Side note:

One technique we implemented when starting on windows platforms (early '90s)
was to create a multi-thread F/E process that handled all of the windowing
events, drawing etc.

We had also implemented a similar F/E that would operate on X11.

These F/E processes had interface libraries the implemented a standard API
which the application used.

We also has a command based F/E, a NEWS (sun display postscript) F/E & a raw
VGA based F/E which implemented the same API making program portability
easy.

Bruce

Re: event driven programming Herbert Rosenau C Programming 1 12-29-2009 05:38 PM
Event Driven programming - Doubts Kottiyath Python 3 12-23-2008 05:13 AM
Event-driven programming sebek Java 10 06-03-2007 01:41 AM
ANN: Introduction to Event-Driven Programming Steve Python 2 01-23-2006 08:11 PM
Templates Specializations for Event-Driven Programming christopher diggins C++ 4 12-21-2004 06:42 AM

Advertisments