Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > separate partition

Reply
Thread Tools

separate partition

 
 
Peter Rubens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2009
Hello I have read somewhere (but forgot where!) that some one has his
pagefil.sys and hiberfil.sys and even
tempfiles in separate partitions to speedup his system
I have plenty of HDspace and running winows 7 64bits, how can I modify win 7
to try this scheme?



__________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4715 (20091224) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2009
Honestly, it won't make much if any difference. You can move the page file
using the System applet in the Control Panel (sysdm.cpl), and clicking on
the Advanced Tab, Performance Options, Advanced Tab, Virtual Memory->Change
button. Temp files are controlled by the Environment Variables button on the
first of those Advanced tabs. I don't think you can easily change the
hibernate file.

But, as I said, I don't think you'll gain anything noticable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Peter Rubens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello I have read somewhere (but forgot where!) that some one has his
> pagefil.sys and hiberfil.sys and even
> tempfiles in separate partitions to speedup his system
> I have plenty of HDspace and running winows 7 64bits, how can I modify win
> 7 to try this scheme?
>
>
> __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
> viruskenmerken 4715 (20091224) __________
>
> Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Carlos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2009

Peter,
Go to your Computer Properties (Win key + Pause) and click (left pane) on
"Advanced System Configuration" (I am translating from Spanish into English
so there may be some differences).
Go to the Advanced Options tab, and click on Configuration in the
Performance Section (that would be the upper one).
Now go to the Advanced Options Tab and click the button "Change" in Virtual
Memory.
There you go.
Carlos

"Peter Rubens" wrote:

> Hello I have read somewhere (but forgot where!) that some one has his
> pagefil.sys and hiberfil.sys and even
> tempfiles in separate partitions to speedup his system
> I have plenty of HDspace and running winows 7 64bits, how can I modify win 7
> to try this scheme?
>
>
>
> __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4715 (20091224) __________
>
> Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>
>
> .
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Juergen Kluth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2009
Hi,
i bet a buck on it:

You cannot speed up hibernate mode at all !

)

jk
Happy christmas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Urban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2009
Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive will
only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to extra
drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive, on
the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two drives
must share the resources of the same controller.

Now, If you place the page file on a hard drive on a different IDE
controller, the two drive can read/write simultaneously - which will likely
show you a difference.

Note that if you have SATA drives each hard drive is on its own controller.
You can place the page file on any other drive (than the system drive) and
will likely see an improvement.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience/Security


"Peter Rubens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello I have read somewhere (but forgot where!) that some one has his
> pagefil.sys and hiberfil.sys and even
> tempfiles in separate partitions to speedup his system
> I have plenty of HDspace and running winows 7 64bits, how can I modify win
> 7 to try this scheme?
>
>
> __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
> viruskenmerken 4715 (20091224) __________
>
> Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
James Kosin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2009
On 12/24/2009 3:16 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Honestly, it won't make much if any difference. You can move the page
> file using the System applet in the Control Panel (sysdm.cpl), and
> clicking on the Advanced Tab, Performance Options, Advanced Tab, Virtual
> Memory->Change button. Temp files are controlled by the Environment
> Variables button on the first of those Advanced tabs. I don't think you
> can easily change the hibernate file.
>
> But, as I said, I don't think you'll gain anything noticable.
>

I agree, the old days; one moved these files to a different drive to
increase performance. The IDE interface was able to simultaneously
access both drives at the same time reducing the overhead of having the
pagefile on the same partition as the OS.

With much faster drives these days; you'd probably not notice the small,
insignificant increase.

Oh, by the way another partition on the same drive doesn't count!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Poutnik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive will
> only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
> system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to extra
> drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive, on
> the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two drives
> must share the resources of the same controller.
>

Even if drives share the same computer resources,
they do not share their disk heads.

Disks are faster then before,
but speed of disks grows much slower than speed of computers,
being their bottleneck. There is much time spent
by disk head travelling.



--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Urban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2009
With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources fluctuate
back and forth.

With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
simultaneously!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience/Security


"Poutnik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPG.259fdefde76170089898b1@127.0.0.1...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive
>> will
>> only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
>> system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to
>> extra
>> drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive,
>> on
>> the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two
>> drives
>> must share the resources of the same controller.
>>

> Even if drives share the same computer resources,
> they do not share their disk heads.
>
> Disks are faster then before,
> but speed of disks grows much slower than speed of computers,
> being their bottleneck. There is much time spent
> by disk head travelling.
>
>
>
> --
> Poutnik
> The best depends on how the best is defined.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Rubens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2009
OK so there is no gain in speed.
But what about fragmentation, there will be no more fragmentation......
That is the gain.

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
> reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources
> fluctuate back and forth.
>
> With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
> simultaneously!
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience/Security
>
>
> "Poutnik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MPG.259fdefde76170089898b1@127.0.0.1...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>
>>> Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive
>>> will
>>> only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
>>> system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to
>>> extra
>>> drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive,
>>> on
>>> the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two
>>> drives
>>> must share the resources of the same controller.
>>>

>> Even if drives share the same computer resources,
>> they do not share their disk heads.
>>
>> Disks are faster then before,
>> but speed of disks grows much slower than speed of computers,
>> being their bottleneck. There is much time spent
>> by disk head travelling.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Poutnik
>> The best depends on how the best is defined.

>
>
> __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
> viruskenmerken 4723 (2009122 __________
>
> Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>




__________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4723 (2009122 __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com




 
Reply With Quote
 
Poutnik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2009

> "Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in

bericht
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
> > reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources
> > fluctuate back and forth.
> >
> > With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
> > simultaneously!
> >

But, IMHO,
the IDE or SATA disk bus waits for the disk much more often,
then the opposite.

It can work with one disk,
while waiting for the other
to write data from disk cache,
or until data to be read are ready in disk cache.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dd - unequal speed from partition to partition, partition to file,file to partition bolega C Programming 1 03-28-2011 07:37 PM
Separate Tabs, Separate Sessions BigAndy Firefox 0 05-09-2007 09:27 AM
Separate Tabs, Separate Sessions BigAndy Firefox 0 05-09-2007 09:26 AM
Using separate classpaths for separate classes? Frank Fredstone Java 1 06-27-2006 06:46 AM
How to use several separate classes (separate files) to be executed in one class (another file) EvgueniB Java 1 12-15-2003 01:18 AM



Advertisments