Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Power Supply Woes

Power Supply Woes

Jeff Strickland

My machine is set up in my garage, next to my TV. The power company sent us
a notice that the electricity was going to be shut off on Tuesday for
whatever reason. I turned my computer off for the first time in a long
time -- I normally leave it running with the monitor gong off. Anyway, on
Tuesday after the electric company left the neighborhood, my computer would
not turn on. I opened the covers on the power supply and felt around with my
meter probe, nothing. Well, not nothing, but certainly not the voltages
expected according to the markings on the circuit board.

I had a 250w power supply, and replaced it with a 380w unit for $25, and
there's a $9.00 rebate that makes the final cost $16.

I coulda spent $25 and gotten no rebate, and ended up with a quieter fan, I
suppose. On the other hand, this fan moves lots of air through the power
supply.

What made the power supply quit? Was it on the verge of failing, and letting
it cool off one more time sent it over the edge?

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> My machine is set up in my garage, next to my TV. The power company sent us
> a notice that the electricity was going to be shut off on Tuesday for
> whatever reason. I turned my computer off for the first time in a long
> time -- I normally leave it running with the monitor gong off. Anyway, on
> Tuesday after the electric company left the neighborhood, my computer would
> not turn on. I opened the covers on the power supply and felt around with my
> meter probe, nothing. Well, not nothing, but certainly not the voltages
> expected according to the markings on the circuit board.
>
> I had a 250w power supply, and replaced it with a 380w unit for $25, and
> there's a $9.00 rebate that makes the final cost $16.
>
> I coulda spent $25 and gotten no rebate, and ended up with a quieter fan, I
> suppose. On the other hand, this fan moves lots of air through the power
> supply.
>
> What made the power supply quit? Was it on the verge of failing, and letting
> it cool off one more time sent it over the edge?

The great god of electronic components, said it's time was up.

http://www.mascotcartoon.com/images/ReddyKillowatt.jpg

If you're curious, there is a schematic here for an ATX supply.

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/en_atxps.html

Paul

Baron

Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> My machine is set up in my garage, next to my TV. The power company
> sent us a notice that the electricity was going to be shut off on
> Tuesday for whatever reason. I turned my computer off for the first
> time in a long time -- I normally leave it running with the monitor
> gong off. Anyway, on Tuesday after the electric company left the
> neighborhood, my computer would not turn on. I opened the covers on
> the power supply and felt around with my meter probe, nothing. Well,
> not nothing, but certainly not the voltages expected according to the
> markings on the circuit board.
>
> I had a 250w power supply, and replaced it with a 380w unit for $25,
> and there's a $9.00 rebate that makes the final cost $16.
>
> I coulda spent $25 and gotten no rebate, and ended up with a quieter
> fan, I suppose. On the other hand, this fan moves lots of air through
> the power supply.
>
> What made the power supply quit? Was it on the verge of failing, and
> letting it cool off one more time sent it over the edge?

There are components in the PSU that are there to start it up. After
that they are still in circuit but not being used to do anything. They
are still connected and can fail silently without having any effect on
the running PSU. Commonly resistors go high in value, failing to pass
enough current when required to do so. Capacitors loose value or
become high ESR. I've even had soldered joints become dry preventing
circuits from functioning when needed.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.