Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java SSH libraries?

Java SSH libraries?

nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com

I'm looking for a java SSH library that I can use in my code. I need
to connect to a system that runs ssh, execute some commands, read the
it. I've found some postings on this that seem to refer to code
written 5 years ago, but I want something that is actively
maintained. I've also found something called SSHTools that is
actively maintained. But it says in the documentation that it opens a
connection, runs a command, and closes the connection! That's not
very useful. Does anyone have any suggestions of libraries that I can
use that will meet my needs?

Note: The library should be maintained and freely available. Open
source is fine.

Thanks!

nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com

I should note, I'm looking for code that I can call within my
program. I am not attempting to run an SSH server - the machines I'm
connecting to will be running that. I do need to implement client
functionality, or call something that does that for me.

Thanks!

Lew

On Dec 23, 3:32*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a java SSH library that I can use in my code. *I need
> to connect to a system that runs ssh, execute some commands, read the
> it. *I've found some postings on this that seem to refer to code
> written 5 years ago, but I want something that is actively
> maintained. *I've also found something called SSHTools that is
> actively maintained. *But it says in the documentation that it opens a
> connection, runs a command, and closes the connection! *That's not
> very useful. *Does anyone have any suggestions of libraries that I can
> use that will meet my needs?
>
> Note: The library should be maintained and freely available. *Open
> source is fine.

Have you looked here:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+SSH+library>
?

--
Lew

nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com

> Have you looked here:
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+SSH+library>
> ?
>
> --
> Lew

Yes, actually I did that before I posted. Ganymede is apparently not
supported or maintained any more. And SSHTools has the problems that
I described in my original question. One can probably assume that if
I know enough to be able to write the sort of program that might use
this, that I might also know how to use Google...

Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:52:59 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

> Yes, actually I did that before I posted. Ganymede is apparently not
> supported or maintained any more. And SSHTools has the problems that I
> described in my original question. One can probably assume that if I
> know enough to be able to write the sort of program that might use this,
> that I might also know how to use Google...

Have you looked here: http://www.openssh.com/java.html

OpenSSH seem to think Ganymede is still OK and they should know if
anybody does.

As to the 'run one command and exit' objection, did you ever stop to
consider what might happen if that command is a shell, e.g. /bin/bash ?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

nogales

On 23 dic, 21:32, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a java SSH library that I can use in my code. *I need
> to connect to a system that runs ssh, execute some commands, read the
> it. *I've found some postings on this that seem to refer to code
> written 5 years ago, but I want something that is actively
> maintained. *

'May 2009: Ganymed is back - build 300 is coming up soon!'

-- Quoted from: http://www.cleondra.ch/ssh2/

> Thanks!

Rob

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a java SSH library that I can use in my code. I need
> to connect to a system that runs ssh, execute some commands, read the
> it. I've found some postings on this that seem to refer to code
> written 5 years ago, but I want something that is actively
> maintained. I've also found something called SSHTools that is
> actively maintained. But it says in the documentation that it opens a
> connection, runs a command, and closes the connection! That's not
> very useful. Does anyone have any suggestions of libraries that I can
> use that will meet my needs?
>
> Note: The library should be maintained and freely available. Open
> source is fine.

On Dec 23, 3:41*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I should note, I'm looking for code that I can call within my
> program. *I am not attempting to run an SSH server - the machines I'm
> connecting to will be running that. *I do need to implement client
> functionality, or call something that does that for me.
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

I've used Trilead's SSH jar library with very good success. I setup
ssh public/private key to prevent the shell login and was able to
execute script(s) on remote as well as 'scp' files from my local
server to the remote server. Great little product.

Good luck
(no, I don't work for Trilead or anything; just happy with the
product)

Tom Anderson

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Have you looked here:
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+SSH+library>
>> ?
>>
>> --
>> Lew

> Yes, actually I did that before I posted. Ganymede is apparently not
> supported or maintained any more. And SSHTools has the problems that I
> described in my original question. One can probably assume that if I
> know enough to be able to write the sort of program that might use this,
> that I might also know how to use Google...

You'd be surprised - hang around this group for a while, and it becomes
clear that this correlation is not as firm as you think.

But still, it was clear from your post that you had made some effort to
look. Lew was just double-checking, because he's thorough like that!

tom

--
science fiction, old TV shows, sports, food, New York City topography,
and golden age hiphop

Daniel Pitts

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I should note, I'm looking for code that I can call within my
> program. I am not attempting to run an SSH server - the machines I'm
> connecting to will be running that. I do need to implement client
> functionality, or call something that does that for me.
>
> Thanks!

I found plenty of luck with this website:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+SSH