Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > Exercise problem

Exercise problem

John Whelihan

Hi All, I am attempting to follow the directions in Chapter 2 Exercise 2 in
the 70-680:Configuring Windows 7 Self Paced Training Kit and it's just not
working. I am stuck on Exercise 2 (Adding a VHD to the Boot Menu) Step 3
which says to run bcdedit /set <guid> device vhd=partition w: (I have gotten
the guid from a previous command and replaced it in the previous command with
the <> as shown I also tried {} and nothing at all surrounding the guid. I
continue to receive the following error: "The element data type specified is
not recognized, or does not apply to the specified entry."

From what i can decypher from the bcdedit /? command I believe the syntax in
the book is incorrect but for the life of me I cant figure out what the
correct syntax is. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated since I'm
stuck and cant move on until I get this figured out (The next lesson builds
off of this one which is pretty standard for microsoft press texts)

Thank you,
John

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"John Whelihan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All, I am attempting to follow the directions in Chapter 2 Exercise 2
> in
> the 70-680:Configuring Windows 7 Self Paced Training Kit and it's just not
> working. I am stuck on Exercise 2 (Adding a VHD to the Boot Menu) Step 3
> which says to run bcdedit /set <guid> device vhd=partition w: (I have
> gotten
> the guid from a previous command and replaced it in the previous command
> with
> the <> as shown I also tried {} and nothing at all surrounding the guid.

The latter of the three you tried is the correct syntax.

> I continue to receive the following error: "The element data type
> specified is
> not recognized, or does not apply to the specified entry."

> From what i can decypher from the bcdedit /? command I believe the syntax
> in
> the book is incorrect but for the life of me I cant figure out what the
> correct syntax is.

I would suggest finding the BCDEDIT command reference documentation in the
TechNet Library and verifying that the book does not have any errors with
regards to the syntax of the command. I suspect your belief that the book is
defective is probably correct. The 70-680 book has a rep for having a large
number of errors.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA