Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > hosts file

hosts file

Poutnik

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Poutnik:
> I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold.
> Top posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer
> bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our preference.
> The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird is to
> add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is possible to change
> the default in the news reader to make it bottom post. Relax, enjoy and have
> a great holiday season.

Well, I use dedicated newsreader client Gravity.

It is many years ago I used to read news
by universal mail/news clients.

Not all what is good for mails is good for news.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.

Jeff Gaines

On 22/12/2009 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Dennis Pack wrote:

> I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold. Top posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our preference. The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird is to add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is possible to change the default in the news reader to make it bottom post. Relax, enjoy and have a great holiday season.

That's not actually true, although many people who only started using
Usenet with Windows seem to believe it.

The clearest and most logical way to reply to a post is to intersperse
your replies with the original. The cursor is at the top so you can move
down the post, snip extraneous bits and add your reply at the appropriate
point. Some languages are written left to right, some right to left. None
are written bottom to top.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Drew

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 22/12/2009 in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Dennis Pack wrote:
>
>> I've been in this group since the beginning when XP x64 went gold. Top
>> posting is common but not required. I prefer top posting, you prefer
>> bottom posting, neither of us are right or wrong it's just our
>> preference. The default in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Mozilla
>> Thunderbird is to add the posting to the top just like e-mail does. It is
>> possible to change the default in the news reader to make it bottom post.
>> Relax, enjoy and have a great holiday season.

> That's not actually true, although many people who only started using
> Usenet with Windows seem to believe it.
>
> The clearest and most logical way to reply to a post is to intersperse
> your replies with the original. The cursor is at the top so you can move
> down the post, snip extraneous bits and add your reply at the appropriate
> point. Some languages are written left to right, some right to left. None
> are written bottom to top.

Chinese is written top to bottom and read right to left.

Dennis Pack

Jeff:
I made no reference to Usenet. There were different newsgroups for
XP x64 for beta testers and customer preview users, when XP x64 went gold
this newsgroup was started by Microsoft and the other XP x64 newsgroups
ended. Charlie Russel and John Barnes are also original posters along with
many others.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Professional x64, Win-7 Enterprise x64, MS Office 2010 beta

On 22/12/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Drew wrote:

>Chinese is written top to bottom and read right to left.

No wonder I end up with toffee pudding when I ordered a banana split

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Jeff Gaines

On 23/12/2009 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Dennis Pack wrote:

> I made no reference to Usenet. There were different newsgroups for XP x64 for beta testers and customer preview users, when XP x64 went gold this newsgroup was started by Microsoft and the other XP x64 newsgroups ended. Charlie Russel and John Barnes are also original posters along with many others.

This is Usenet.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

XS11E

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 23/12/2009 in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Dennis Pack
> wrote:
>
>> I made no reference to Usenet. There were different newsgroups
>> for XP x64 for beta testers and customer preview users, when XP
>> x64 went gold this newsgroup was started by Microsoft and the
>> other XP x64 newsgroups ended. Charlie Russel and John Barnes
>> are also original posters along with many others.

> This is Usenet.

Correct, MSFT has their own private servers but anything on the public
servers is propagated throughout Usenet and therefore IS part of
Usenet.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

Tom Lake

I agree! 8^)