Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RotatingFileHandler key error when parsing a logging config file

RotatingFileHandler key error when parsing a logging config file

jordilin

Hi,
I've a config for logging where I set up a file rotation with
handlers.RotatingFileHandler and when the app parses the logging
config it says keyError when trying to parse that section
('RotatingFileHandler' is not defined). Curiously enough, I can do
import logging and from logging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler.

Example:

[handlers]
keys=handlers.RotatingFileHandler

[formatters]
keys=simpleFormatter

[logger_root]
level=DEBUG
handlers=handlers.RotatingFileHandler

[handler_handlers.RotatingFileHandler]
class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
level=DEBUG
formatter=simpleFormatter

I'm using python 2.4 in the servers. I'm having this in a particular
one, which seems like there must be some kind of configuration error.
Any suggestions,
Thanks

Jean-Michel Pichavant

jordilin wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a config for logging where I set up a file rotation with
> handlers.RotatingFileHandler and when the app parses the logging
> config it says keyError when trying to parse that section
> ('RotatingFileHandler' is not defined). Curiously enough, I can do
> import logging and from logging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler.
>
> Example:
>
> [handlers]
> keys=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
>
> [formatters]
> keys=simpleFormatter
>
> [logger_root]
> level=DEBUG
> handlers=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
>
> [handler_handlers.RotatingFileHandler]
> class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
> level=DEBUG
> formatter=simpleFormatter
>

> I'm using python 2.4 in the servers. I'm having this in a particular
> one, which seems like there must be some kind of configuration error.
> Any suggestions,
> Thanks

I'm not using config files, but by looking at the documentation, I would
suggest to use another name for your handler.

[handler_foo]
class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
level=DEBUG
formatter=simpleFormatter

just name it foo for test purpose, dotted names may not be supported.
Also I would not not the exact same name as
logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler, your risk some name collision
wetween the structure you have created and the logging module class.

JM

Vinay Sajip

On Dec 21, 9:33*pm, jordilin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> *I've a config forloggingwhere I set up a file rotation with
> handlers.RotatingFileHandler and when the app parses thelogging
> config it says keyError when trying to parse that section
> ('RotatingFileHandler' is not defined). Curiously enough, I can do
> importloggingand fromlogging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler.
>
> Example:
>
> [handlers]
> keys=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
>
> [formatters]
> keys=simpleFormatter
>
> [logger_root]
> level=DEBUG
> handlers=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
>
> [handler_handlers.RotatingFileHandler]
> class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
> level=DEBUG
> formatter=simpleFormatter
>
> I'm using python 2.4 in the servers. I'm having this in a particular
> one, which seems like there must be some kind of configuration error.
> Any suggestions,
> Thanks

Can you show the error message/traceback which you're getting? With
earlier versions of the logging package, handler class names were
evaluated in the context of the logging module (so
handlers.RotatingFileHandler should work). Later versions (than 2.4)
will try to resolve using normal import mechanisms, so
foo.bar.MyHandler should work.

It does seem like a configuration error (esp. if this same code works
on other machines running Python 2.4), but it's hard to say what it is
with the information you've provided so far.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip