Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to disable the feature to select a text

Reply
Thread Tools

How to disable the feature to select a text

 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
In article <kNTXm.63851$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > ...
> >> It's patently obvious to anyone who doesn't have a preconceived notion
> >> that everyone else in the world is a drooling moron, and a pathological
> >> need to "prove" it.
> >>

> >
> >> Like I said - get a grip.

> >
> >
> > Sherm! This is really way out of line, you are being so horrid and
> > unfair! JK has done nothing at all in this thread to deserve this.

>
> Get a grip dorayme. JK is a ****ing pedantic idiot and this thread simply
> proves it.


He is not being any more pedantic than any reasonable poster might be
nor idiotic, and this thread proves no such thing.

Formerly, you did nothing wrong, it was a simple matter of you probably
saying something true (as you often do) but it was unclear enough to
justify what was a perfectly polite and ordinary querying response from
JK.

Sherm was extraordinary in his vituperation and you are now surprising
me no end! Don't you scripting guys ever forgive and forget? You are
both misreading him on this occasion and being unfair. If you have
gripes from the past, keep them as ammo and dry for where they might be
more appropriate.

A grip? I know a dirty variation on an advertizing jingle for an
Australian glue called Tarzan's Grip, it used to go:

"Get a tube of Tarzan's Grip"

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
In article <0RTXm.63856$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <NgOXm.54392$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >> If you move the mouse while clicking the header or you even double
> >> >> click the header the text in the header gets selected.

>
> >> Huh? How do you _enable_ it in the first place?

> >
> > Good question and exactly what I was thinking too. OP is not telling us
> > something!

>
> Move mouse to somewhere over some text. Press mouse button. Move mouse.
> Release mouse button. Admire selected text. Pretty bloody obvious to me.


Not in the original context and mixed up with changes of order... It is
amazing how things appear to you if you know what you mean and also in
hindsight to others...

As it happens, clicking and moving mouse does *not* guarantee the text
gets selected, you have to do a certain amount of moving. Just think
about it in detail: The OP talks about moving the mouse possibly in the
context of column sorting so maybe someone reading this is simply not
thinking "ah text selection!" Text selection requires a bit more than
just moving the mouse a bit. What has text selection got to do with
anything? Why is selection needing to be disabled?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <kNTXm.63851$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> > ...
>> >> It's patently obvious to anyone who doesn't have a preconceived notion
>> >> that everyone else in the world is a drooling moron, and a
>> >> pathological
>> >> need to "prove" it.
>> >>
>> >
>> >> Like I said - get a grip.
>> >
>> >
>> > Sherm! This is really way out of line, you are being so horrid and
>> > unfair! JK has done nothing at all in this thread to deserve this.

>>
>> Get a grip dorayme. JK is a ****ing pedantic idiot and this thread simply
>> proves it.

>
> He is not being any more pedantic than any reasonable poster might be
> nor idiotic, and this thread proves no such thing.
>
> Formerly, you did nothing wrong, it was a simple matter of you probably
> saying something true (as you often do) but it was unclear enough to
> justify what was a perfectly polite and ordinary querying response from
> JK.


Bullshit. Nothing is unclear. The subject of this thread is "How to diable
the feature to select a text". How bloody unclear is that? The OP doesn't
want text selected. Now, read the OPs further words:

"the text in the header gets selected" and "is there any possiblility do
disable this feature so the text [in the header] never gets selected".
Selected. How does text get selected? By clicking and moving the mouse, just
like it gets selected in just about every bloody program out there. The OP
doesn't want that. That was what I was commenting on, not the bloody price
of tea.

So, we are clearly talking about selecting text here. I have no ****ing idea
what Korpella was talking about, except that in his usual pedantic way he
comes over as a complete arsehole.



 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u6VXm.63866$(E-Mail Removed)...

> So, we are clearly talking about selecting text here. I have no ****ing
> idea what Korpella was talking about, except that in his usual pedantic
> way he comes over as a complete arsehole.


And here are you defending him.


 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <0RTXm.63856$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In article <NgOXm.54392$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> > >> If you move the mouse while clicking the header or you even double
>> >> >> click the header the text in the header gets selected.

>>
>> >> Huh? How do you _enable_ it in the first place?
>> >
>> > Good question and exactly what I was thinking too. OP is not telling us
>> > something!

>>
>> Move mouse to somewhere over some text. Press mouse button. Move mouse.
>> Release mouse button. Admire selected text. Pretty bloody obvious to me.

>
> Not in the original context and mixed up with changes of order... It is
> amazing how things appear to you if you know what you mean and also in
> hindsight to others...
>
> As it happens, clicking and moving mouse does *not* guarantee the text
> gets selected, you have to do a certain amount of moving. Just think
> about it in detail: The OP talks about moving the mouse possibly in the
> context of column sorting so maybe someone reading this is simply not
> thinking "ah text selection!" Text selection requires a bit more than
> just moving the mouse a bit. What has text selection got to do with
> anything? Why is selection needing to be disabled?


Does the word "select" have any meaning to you? The OP is complaining about
text being "selected". How the bloody hell can text be selected if one has
not moved the mouse far enough to select text? And if the OP has not moved
the mouse far enough to have selected text then why would he be complaining
about text being selected?

Arguing for the sake of arguing I think. You are becoming as big a bloody
pedant as Korpela is.


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
In article <u6VXm.63866$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bullshit. Nothing is unclear. The subject of this thread is "How to diable
> the feature to select a text".


It is an odd thing to announce this as *a feature*, it is so second
nature. If someone asks, how do you turn the sun off, you don't simply
go on to answer (unless, maybe, you are Superman). It just seems
surprising! Bundled with column sorting (the other thing mentioned
practically in the first breath of the OP's post), I say it can create a
haze in which normally intelligent beings can get a bit disorientated.
....
> I have no ****ing idea
> what Korpella was talking about, except that in his usual pedantic way he
> comes over as a complete arsehole.


He did not, you must be thinking of other threads and it is influencing
you. A bit of pedantry is not so bad and it needs to be contrasted with
its opposite - please God, let someone ask me what the opposite of
pedantry is - to get a better appreciation of it. I think pedantry has
had an altogether unfair press for a long time. Pedantry does not make
for arseholiness all by itself. Be fair, Richard!

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Stefan Mueller
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:4d3504c9-aa43-402d-bcf4-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> I've a HTML table with several columns. If you click on the header of
> a column the appropriate column gets sorted.
> If you move the mouse while clicking the header or you even double
> click the header the text in the header gets selected.
>
> Is there any possibility to disable this feature so that the text in
> the header never gets selected?
>


You really did not give us enough to go on, certainly a URL would have
helped, and here you got some of the best regulars around here not being
very nice to each other.

So, I'm going to put on my crystal ball hat and guess at what you are
trying to do/not do.

1. You cannot sort an HTML table without some kind of client side or
server side scripting invovled. Simply clicking on text will indeed
select it - that is the way it's supposed to be.

2. There is probably a href somewhere that uses a querystring to tell
either the server side script or a client side script to sort the data
when that link is clicked. Perhaps something like
http://example.com/table.php?sort=1

If it is clearly a link, then users will click on it. If it is not
clear, and they are clicking somewhere else, you might have that select
text behaivor.

Really, without a URL it is impossible for me to go any further.


--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
In article <OcVXm.63868$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

....
> >>
> >> Move mouse to somewhere over some text. Press mouse button. Move mouse.
> >> Release mouse button. Admire selected text. Pretty bloody obvious to me.

> >

....
>
> Does the word "select" have any meaning to you? ...


I was thinking of your words not the OP's at this point. I followed your
instructions and nothing happened. I trusted you!
>
> Arguing for the sake of arguing I think.


er... maybe a little with you yes... <g>

But I was really ****ed off when I saw Sherm be so incredibly reactive
(to put it politely). I have nothing against Sherm, he uses Macs, his
seemed like such an unnecessarily angry response.

Plus, I don't like to see someone who has contributed so magnificently
to the world of HTML and CSS be hounded when he is *not* doing anything
to deserve it. This is 21st Century, not the 13th. Why don't you and
Sherm grab Jerry Stuckle and have some fun with him, he always deserves
the stocks and rotting tomatoes thrown at him...

Around Xmas maybe a little more anger management, lads!

> You are becoming as big a bloody
> pedant as Korpela is.


That is a horrible thing to say! He is not even in my league in this
pedantry business, he is too serious for that and every year I get the
silver cup... <g>

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > JK is a ****ing pedantic idiot and this thread simply
> > proves it.

>
> I wouldn't say he's an idiot. Quite the opposite in fact - I think he's
> smarter than most of the people here, including me. He is, however,
> very badly lacking in people skills.


You should talk, Mr Diplomacy Who Began All This! <g>

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stefan Mueller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2009
Sorry for my unclear and confusing posting.
Yes, of course, a normal HTML table is not sortable by clicking on its
header row and in that case I wouldn't care about the "selection
feature".
I'm using javascript to make the HTML table sortable. Therefore you
can click on the header row to sort the columns.

The practice shows that if you click on the header row to sort the
columns to often a letter or even the whole text in the header row of
the columns gets selected.
Now I'm trying to find a way to disable this "selection feature".

I think that Andy's suggestion could be the solution for my problem:
You could place an absolute positioned div within a relative
positioned div (which contains your heading) then use a 100% height by
100% width blank image in the absolute div as your link (onclick)
anchor.

But it's not working so far. Any additional help is very welcome.
Stefan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
REXML feature request: XPath.match.text & better text documentation Dan Kohn Ruby 2 09-15-2005 02:19 PM
Disable the wireless network feature =?Utf-8?B?UmFqYXNla2FyYW4=?= Wireless Networking 1 05-04-2005 01:46 AM
select of select box will select multiple in another box palmiere Javascript 1 02-09-2004 01:11 PM
Datagrid Heading (Text - Clickable) and Row Elements (checkboxes) = Select All Feature BTHOMASinOHIO ASP .Net Datagrid Control 2 11-13-2003 10:54 PM



Advertisments