Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox and Positioning

Firefox and Positioning

mjones

Hi All,

Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
the td up, but IE understands it.

Any idea how to get both browsers to work?

I used to know a way to determine the browser and use different code
depending on FireFox or IE, but I can't find it.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Michele

Jukka K. Korpela

mjones wrote:

> Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
> the td up, but IE understands it.

Understands in which sense?

"The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group, table-header-group,
table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group, table-column, table-cell,
and table-caption elements is undefined."
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

So browsers can do whatever they want with such an element and still claim
conformance to CSS specifications.

> I used to know a way to determine the browser and use different code
> depending on FireFox or IE, but I can't find it.

Good for you.

If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
definition undefined impact.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <KGvXm.54142$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> mjones wrote:
>
> > Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
> > the td up, but IE understands it.

> If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
> what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
> definition undefined impact.

This makes the unwarranted assumption that what you said before is not
all the help she would feel the need for at her stumbling block. Like a
robot vacuum cleaner, she might happily and effectively enough go off in
a different direction now she knows what you told her that I snipped.
And I snipped it to show comprehensive reading, this in my mind, right
at this particular point, trumping my urge to show context.

<g>

--
dorayme

mjones

On Dec 20, 3:57*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <KGvXm.54142$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > mjones wrote:

> > > Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
> > > the td up, but IE understands it.

> > If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
> > what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
> > definition undefined impact.

> This makes the unwarranted assumption that what you said before is not
> all the help she would feel the need for at her stumbling block. Like a
> robot vacuum cleaner, she might happily and effectively enough go off in
> a different direction now she knows what you told her that I snipped.
> And I snipped it to show comprehensive reading, this in my mind, right
> at this particular point, trumping my urge to show context.
>
> <g>
>
> --
> dorayme

Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

http://www.quality-computing.com/?ur...s-pictures.asp

The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
IE.

Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Michele

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
mjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:
>
> http://www.quality-computing.com/?ur...s-pictures.asp
>
> The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
> relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
> like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
> IE.

Gosh!

Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

But really this is a very naughty mess of a page, it is hard to know
where to begin. All I can do is splutter something to help you solve
your particular problem:

Replace your

style="position: relative; top: -45px;"

with these magic words:

valign="top"

in the iFrame.

--
dorayme

rf

"mjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Dec 20, 3:57 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <KGvXm.54142$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

>http://www.quality-computing.com/?ur...s-pictures.asp

>The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
>relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
>like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
>IE.

Crikey, what an earth shattering difference.

You can't position td elements like that, as has been said elsewhere.

What exactly are you trying to position? The image, right? So position the
image. You are allowed to position images.

>Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
>if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

No, that's a silly thing to do. Use correct code in the first place and it
will usually look the same.

If the browsers behave diferently it is most certain that it is IE getting
it wrong.

mjones

On Dec 20, 5:16*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *mjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Thank you for your response. *Well, here is the page in question:

> >http://www.quality-computing.com/?ur...s-pictures.asp

> > The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
> > relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. *Basically, I'd
> > like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
> > IE.

> Gosh!
>
> Love your photos with folks saying things... nice
>
> But really this is a very naughty mess of a page, it is hard to know
> where to begin. All I can do is splutter something to help you solve
> your particular problem:
>
> Replace your
>
> style="position: relative; top: -45px;"
>
> with these magic words:
>
> valign="top"
>
> in the iFrame.
>
> --
> dorayme

Ah, that's it. Relative position works if it's in a div tag in
Firefox and IE, but only IE if it's in a td tag.

Thanks everyone!!

I only do my website part-time so I truly appreciate your help once in
a while. I really run a school to teach Project Management
Professional Certification Prep classes; thus the pictures of happy
students.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

> mjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.quality-computing.com/?ur...s-pictures.asp

> Gosh!
>
> Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

Folks? Where are folks?
http://tekrider.net/usenet/pmptraining.jpg

> But really this is a very naughty mess of a page,

In the page title, I see PIMP TRAINING... <g>

--
-bts
-Four wheels carries the body; two wheels moves the soul

dorayme

In article <hgmeh5$q40$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > mjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> http://www.quality-computing.com/?ur...s-pictures.asp

> > Gosh!
> >
> > Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

> Folks? Where are folks?
> http://tekrider.net/usenet/pmptraining.jpg

My, my, the things you can miss out on with js off! <g>

dorayme wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:
>>>
>>> Gosh!
>>>
>>> Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

>> Folks? Where are folks?
>> http://tekrider.net/usenet/pmptraining.jpg

> My, my, the things you can miss out on with js off! <g>

I suppose... So what do these pimps look like after they've been
trained?

--
-bts

firefox positioning. Best practices replacing MSIEs pixelToppixelWidth renderStyle Jens Javascript 15 07-26-2008 04:13 PM
Help - horiz Layer positioning - different in IE and Firefox - Why? cluthz HTML 22 04-03-2007 10:40 PM
Firefox Positioning Andre Javascript 2 04-21-2006 02:59 PM
IE 6.0 / Firefox 1.07 and CSS positioning differences Len Philpot HTML 2 12-24-2005 07:54 PM
Dynamic server controls and positioning ASP .Net 1 11-27-2003 03:40 PM

Advertisments