Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: [Win7 x64] Move partition C to another drive

Re: [Win7 x64] Move partition C to another drive

Bobby Johnson

It depends on how you did the installation. If you let Win 7 do its
thing when installing it actually makes 2 partition; 1 100mb & 1 with
the rest of the disc. Some of the system boot files are located in the
100mb partition for security. If this is the case then just moving the
100GB partition would render it unbootable.

I would personally recommend re-installing Win 7 allowing it to do the
partitioning. After the installation is complete you can "shrink" the
working partition.

On 2009-12-20 11:46, Ohmster wrote:
> Hi. I have Windows 7 installed on a primary 1/3 partition of a 300Gb SATA
> hard drive. The other 2/3 is are logical partitions of 100Gb each. Needless
> to say, I am running out of room on drive C and also want to have my OS on
> my biggest and fastest hard drive that I have. In the system is another 1Tb
> SATA drive broken into 4 250Gb primary partitions for storage. I just put
> in another 1Tb drive last night, broke it into 4 primary partitions of
> 250Gb each, and gave it drive letters of L, M, N,& O. Because of this and
> my mounted shares, I am running out of drive letters and cannot even plug
> in a flash drive because there are no more letters left! (I have a 500Gb
> Passport USB drive for backups.)
>
> I want to Ghost my 100Gb C: system partition over to the first partition of
> the new, fast, SATA, terabyte drive, currently empty as drive L:, then
> while offline with Hiren's boot disc, use EASEUS Partition Master to make
> the L: partition active, change it's drive letter to C: (It will be an
> exact copy of the real drive C, change the old drive C: letter to L: and
> then boot up.
>
> Question, can I do this? Will it work? Will I hose the crap out of my
> system or is this a safe, recommended thing to do? Alternatively, I can
> empty the other two partitions on the C: disk, then use the partition
> manager to remove the partitions and have drive C: as a single 300Gb disk.
> My thoughts on that is that the terabyte disk would of course be faster and
> so that is the way to go for drive C:. What do you all recommend? Thanks.

Bobby Johnson

Based on what you have below, you should be able to do it. I use
Acronis True Image Home and in cases like this it will expand or
contract the image to fit the destination if you wish.