Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot Broadband

Slingshot Broadband

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I’ve got a friend who’s been on Slingtshot’s dialup service for some years
now. He’s never had any complaints—says they’ve looked after him very well.

Now he’s looking at their broadband offerings
<http://slingshot.co.nz/BroadbandPlans.aspx>. I see they will offer free
connection and ADSL modem, provided he signs up for 12 months, which he’s
comfortable with. The modem mentioned
<http://slingshot.co.nz/GettingBroadbandSetup.aspx> is a “Dynalink One Port
Modem”, which as far as I can tell is either Ethernet-and-USB-capable
<http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=adsl2-modem-router-rta1320> or
Ethernet only <http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1320e>.

Anyone else had experience signing up for this?

PeeCee

news:hghq3l$dda$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I’ve got a friend who’s been on Slingtshot’s dialup service for some years
> now. He’s never had any complaints—says they’ve looked after him very
> well.
>
> Now he’s looking at their broadband offerings
> <http://slingshot.co.nz/BroadbandPlans.aspx>. I see they will offer free
> connection and ADSL modem, provided he signs up for 12 months, which he’s
> comfortable with. The modem mentioned
> <http://slingshot.co.nz/GettingBroadbandSetup.aspx> is a “Dynalink One
> Port
> Modem”, which as far as I can tell is either Ethernet-and-USB-capable
> <http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=adsl2-modem-router-rta1320>
> or
> Ethernet only <http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1320e>.
>
> Anyone else had experience signing up for this?

Lawrence

Based on the service rendered to a client of mine last week, tell your
friend to run as far as he can from Slingshot.

Over some 3/4 weeks Slingshot was completely and utterly unable to restore
my clients broadband after their extended overseas holiday.
The raft of excuses, non action and bulldust only went to emphasise just how
bad they are.
Then there's the technical (in)competence of the CSO's .
Did you know that D-Link DSL-604T's "forget their settings" if left
unpowered for more than 3 months !!!!!!
DSL-604T's are well known for that emphasised the CSO !!!!!!

Jezzzz if I'd have been there that CSO would have got his ear chewed.

Interesting to note since that client changed to Clear their BB speed has
noticeably gone up.
Slingshot was supposed to be 256 Kb/s down, but I never saw any better than
100Kb/s

Dynalink BB modems
Crap (tm) Rubbish, bad news, die at around 12-18 months.
The RTA 1320 and it's 4 port sibling run 'way' to hot and fry themselves.
I have a box full of these dead/flakey Dynalinks in the store room, must get
round to throwing them out.
Having said that the one's on Slingshot's website look slightly different,
'may' be they have bought out a new model.
Never the less, I would be getting a written 5 year warranty out of them
before accepting one.

Best
Paul.

Geoff M

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:59:16 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Ive got a friend whos been on Slingtshots dialup service for some years
>now. Hes never had any complaintssays theyve looked after him very well.
>
>Now hes looking at their broadband offerings
><http://slingshot.co.nz/BroadbandPlans.aspx>. I see they will offer free
>connection and ADSL modem, provided he signs up for 12 months, which hes
>comfortable with. The modem mentioned
><http://slingshot.co.nz/GettingBroadbandSetup.aspx> is a Dynalink One Port
>Modem, which as far as I can tell is either Ethernet-and-USB-capable
><http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=adsl2-modem-router-rta1320> or
>Ethernet only <http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1320e>.
>
>Anyone else had experience signing up for this?

Run, don't walk as far and as fast form Slingshot as you can. I made
the mistake of signing up for 12 months with them. From the day it was
changed over, I had never ending problems with disconnections and
really, really slow speed (like dial up speed) and congestion form
overselling the bandwidth. They insisted that it was problem at our
end - first thing turn of your modem... o r "it is a fault wiht your
network". No, the disagniostic
Disconnections lasted for days - the record was 5 days as i recall. My
wife had to use teh library internet and I used the work connection.
I tried different modems - I had 3 including one brand new, and one
well proven old one as well as the Dynalink they supplied.
After 8 months, I had enough and went into their office, dumped the
"free" dynalink POS on their desk and got them to sign receipt of it
and letter containing the magic words "consumer guarantees Act".
Changed to Packing Shed, and never looked back. Speed doubled
overnight and rock solid.
They never return emails of their help desk. Calling them takes at
least an hour and is a total waste of time. Once I gave them the
ultimatimatum, I think they may have got the idea I was Not Happy, and
I finally got someone call me to try and get me to stay. I laughed at
them.
Talking to a friend yesterday, he had similar problems.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Thanks for the comments so far. I’ve been checking the websites for various
ISPs. So far I’ve found that Telecom and Orcon offer basic plans for $39.95
a month including ADSL modem and line filters (though Orcon says it’s
renting you the modem). I went to Vodafone, my own ISP, and all I could see
is bundled plans including phone service. Same sort of thing at
TelstraClear.

PeeCee

news:hgjotp$ie6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the comments so far. I’ve been checking the websites for
> various
> ISPs. So far I’ve found that Telecom and Orcon offer basic plans for
> $39.95
> a month including ADSL modem and line filters (though Orcon says it’s
> renting you the modem). I went to Vodafone, my own ISP, and all I could
> see
> is bundled plans including phone service. Same sort of thing at
> TelstraClear.

Hi again Lawrence.

Vodafone: bundled deals.

Yep that is all you'll get.
I had a customer on Vodafone (Wave) dialup that wanted to get Broadband
The customer 'did not' want to change her phone provider just get Broadband.
She had a Wave email address, so just wanted stay with Vodafone but get
'faster' internet.

I ended up (on her behalf) talking to a couple of levels up from the
standard CSO.
The guy was quite sympathetic and tried to set her up with a BB only deal
but Vodafone's system simply wouldn't allow him to do so.

Needless to say she was not going to be dictated to by Vodafone and promptly
instructed me to set up a BB with someone else.

I still can't fathom Vodafone's logic.
To me a reliable, no hastle, customer offering to up their spend 300% should
be grabbed with both hands.
Throwing the customer out altogether seems totally illogical.
Stoopid is the word that comes to mind.

Best
Paul.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hgjslb$40a$(E-Mail Removed)>, PeeCee wrote:

> Vodafone: bundled deals.
>
> Yep that is all you'll get.
> I had a customer on Vodafone (Wave) dialup that wanted to get Broadband
> The customer 'did not' want to change her phone provider just get
> Broadband. She had a Wave email address, so just wanted stay with Vodafone
> but get 'faster' internet.

I started with Wave, too. I moved up to broadband when they were just
reselling Telecom’s JetStream (this was before unbundling). Ah, the days of
a 1GiB cap and 10¢ for each extra MiB...

> I still can't fathom Vodafone's logic.

I think it’s pretty simple: profits. There probably isn’t much profit in
offering just a broadband connection any more. The UK went through this sort
of thing when they unbundled, years before we did.

EMB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Thanks for the comments so far. I’ve been checking the websites for various
> ISPs. So far I’ve found that Telecom and Orcon offer basic plans for $39.95
> a month including ADSL modem and line filters (though Orcon says it’s
> renting you the modem). I went to Vodafone, my own ISP, and all I could see
> is bundled plans including phone service. Same sort of thing at
> TelstraClear.

Depending on where your friend is located, Telecom's "Total Home"
package (which is bundled) may well be the best value available.
Performance is certainly acceptable as well.

Gordon

On 2009-12-20, PeeCee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:hgjotp$ie6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the comments so far. I?ve been checking the websites for
>> various
>> ISPs. So far I?ve found that Telecom and Orcon offer basic plans for
>> $39.95
>> a month including ADSL modem and line filters (though Orcon says it?s
>> renting you the modem). I went to Vodafone, my own ISP, and all I could
>> see
>> is bundled plans including phone service. Same sort of thing at
>> TelstraClear.

> Hi again Lawrence.
>
> Vodafone: bundled deals.
>
> Yep that is all you'll get.
> I had a customer on Vodafone (Wave) dialup that wanted to get Broadband
> The customer 'did not' want to change her phone provider just get Broadband.
> She had a Wave email address, so just wanted stay with Vodafone but get
> 'faster' internet.
>
> I ended up (on her behalf) talking to a couple of levels up from the
> standard CSO.
> The guy was quite sympathetic and tried to set her up with a BB only deal
> but Vodafone's system simply wouldn't allow him to do so.
>
> Needless to say she was not going to be dictated to by Vodafone and promptly
> instructed me to set up a BB with someone else.
>
> I still can't fathom Vodafone's logic.

They think people are dumb. You know both things are on the same bill. It is
just that bit extra to have...

They, the big business thinks that because the customers wants x then they
will take y, z and A in a bundle.

Like the switching between power providers, or lack there of it is a case of
the customers in droves saying take your bundle and shove it on your bottom
line.

Would you like fries with that? , another example.

Offers such as this have me moving on with the exchange of money. There are
companies around who realise that selling only want the customers wants is
good for business. People tend to say good things about you and come back
because you give great service.

Big places just want numbers. And you are often only one.

> To me a reliable, no hastle, customer offering to up their spend 300% should
> be grabbed with both hands.
> Throwing the customer out altogether seems totally illogical.
> Stoopid is the word that comes to mind.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Adam

<snip>

This is interesting stuff, NZ Broadband options.

Vodaphone requires a phone lock-in,
Slingshot too.
Orcon, not sure, seem not to,
Telecom prefers a phone lock-in ?

I mean, after Mr Key promising highspeed broadband
everywhere before the election, and then Mr Brash
seeing no advantage in persuing it.

Do we have a clear preferred provider at this stage ?
Orcon seems to be a contender.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Adam wrote:
> <snip>
>
> This is interesting stuff, NZ Broadband options.
>
> Vodaphone requires a phone lock-in,
> Slingshot too.
> Orcon, not sure, seem not to,
> Telecom prefers a phone lock-in ?
>
> I mean, after Mr Key promising highspeed broadband
> everywhere before the election, and then Mr Brash
> seeing no advantage in persuing it.
>
> Do we have a clear preferred provider at this stage ?
> Orcon seems to be a contender.

I still think that Actrix is NZ's best ISP (and I've tried a few).
--
Shaun.