Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Zero Configuration for Windows XP

Wireless Zero Configuration for Windows XP

kim

I have a wireless network for my laptop and desktop. I am having problems
connecting to the wireless network on my laptop.

I am getting the following error message when I refresh the network list.
It says "Windoes cannot configure this wireless connection. If yu hae
enabled another program to manage this connection, use that software. If you
want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero
Confirguration (WZC) service. For information about starting this service,
see article 87112 in the Microsoft Knowledge based on the microsoft.com web
site."

I have disabled my Intel proset/wireless connections.
I go to services.msc
Wireless Zero configuration.
right click on it and start is grayed out. so I click on properties.
select automatic. hit apply then okay.
it starts the service but then it stops.
i went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WZCSVC
there was a dword of start and it was set to 2.
I restarted my laptop several times but to no avail. I am still unable to
connect.

I also went to my computer; advanced;
under performance I selected settings..
then chose tab for data execution prevention
it is set to turn on dep for essential windows progarms and services only

What can I do to get the wireless zero configuration to start and stop going
back to disabled??

Help. I have researched and tried everything that I found.
I have no idea what else do do.

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Does WZC start after changing the Start to 2? If not, any errors in the
Event viewer?

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a wireless network for my laptop and desktop. I am having problems
> connecting to the wireless network on my laptop.
>
> I am getting the following error message when I refresh the network list.
> It says "Windoes cannot configure this wireless connection. If yu hae
> enabled another program to manage this connection, use that software. If
> you
> want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless
> Zero
> Confirguration (WZC) service. For information about starting this
> service,
> see article 87112 in the Microsoft Knowledge based on the microsoft.com
> web
> site."
>
> I have disabled my Intel proset/wireless connections.
> I go to services.msc
> Wireless Zero configuration.
> right click on it and start is grayed out. so I click on properties.
> select automatic. hit apply then okay.
> it starts the service but then it stops.
> i went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WZCSVC
> there was a dword of start and it was set to 2.
> I restarted my laptop several times but to no avail. I am still unable to
> connect.
>
> I also went to my computer; advanced;
> under performance I selected settings..
> then chose tab for data execution prevention
> it is set to turn on dep for essential windows progarms and services only
>
> What can I do to get the wireless zero configuration to start and stop
> going
> back to disabled??
>
> Help. I have researched and tried everything that I found.
> I have no idea what else do do.

Lem

kim wrote:
> I have a wireless network for my laptop and desktop. I am having problems
> connecting to the wireless network on my laptop.
>
> I am getting the following error message when I refresh the network list.
> It says "Windoes cannot configure this wireless connection. If yu hae
> enabled another program to manage this connection, use that software. If you
> want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero
> Confirguration (WZC) service. For information about starting this service,
> see article 87112 in the Microsoft Knowledge based on the microsoft.com web
> site."
>
> I have disabled my Intel proset/wireless connections.
> I go to services.msc
> Wireless Zero configuration.
> right click on it and start is grayed out. so I click on properties.
> select automatic. hit apply then okay.
> it starts the service but then it stops.
> i went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WZCSVC
> there was a dword of start and it was set to 2.
> I restarted my laptop several times but to no avail. I am still unable to
> connect.
>
> I also went to my computer; advanced;
> under performance I selected settings..
> then chose tab for data execution prevention
> it is set to turn on dep for essential windows progarms and services only
>
> What can I do to get the wireless zero configuration to start and stop going
> back to disabled??
>
> Help. I have researched and tried everything that I found.
> I have no idea what else do do.

Do you have an active, up-to-date antivirus application? Which one?
Has your computer been infected with some malware?

Check the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Ndisuio
Check the value of the Start variable. Set it to 2 (automatic start).
It should NOT be 4 (disabled).

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
I do not know how you disabled the Intel. look at the StartUp, and the
process and make sure that nothing relate to it is running.
As for WZC, http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)