Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 3.0 expanded columns aggravation

Thunderbird 3.0 expanded columns aggravation

Timo Salmi

This is a rant. Thunderbird 3 has omitted expanded columns facility from
the folders pane. Not Good. Not good, at all! Seeing the number of
messages in each folder is essential information. At least I consider it
such.

Mind you, I am well aware of e.g. the Extra Folder Columns 0.3 add-on
(not working for the current version) and tweaking off the version
checking advice such as http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons
This is unsatisfactory. What on earth was the grand idea behind dropping
the option between 2 and 3?

Usually I do not install new major version until about minor version
around 0.0.3 or 0.0.4. But at office 3.0 was auto-installed while absent
a couple of days. I am considering re-installing 2.0.0.23 for the time
being. Anyone done the same?

All the best, Timo

--
Prof. Timo Salmi (E-Mail Removed) ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/
Home page: http://www.uwasa.fi/laskentatoimi/he...nta/salmitimo/

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Timo Salmi wrote:
> This is a rant. Thunderbird 3 has omitted expanded columns facility from
> the folders pane. Not Good. Not good, at all! Seeing the number of
> messages in each folder is essential information. At least I consider it
> such.
>
> Mind you, I am well aware of e.g. the Extra Folder Columns 0.3 add-on
> (not working for the current version) and tweaking off the version
> checking advice such as http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons
> This is unsatisfactory. What on earth was the grand idea behind dropping
> the option between 2 and 3?
>
> Usually I do not install new major version until about minor version
> around 0.0.3 or 0.0.4. But at office 3.0 was auto-installed while absent
> a couple of days. I am considering re-installing 2.0.0.23 for the time
> being. Anyone done the same?
>
> All the best, Timo

you're in good company then. From what I've seen, a
lot of people have been complaining about TB 3. Its one
of those situations where the developers don't listen
to the users.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Justin

Timo Salmi wrote on [Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:09:45 +0200]:
> This is a rant. Thunderbird 3 has omitted expanded columns facility from
> the folders pane. Not Good. Not good, at all! Seeing the number of
> messages in each folder is essential information. At least I consider it
> such.

Par for the course I guess, consdering Folders with unread are maked
bold black and new unread folders are maked with bold dark dark blue.
They removed the starburst next to folders with new unread. This is
under XP.

Seems they don't actually use the software.

Timo Salmi

On 18.12.2009 22:01 Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Timo Salmi wrote:
>> This is a rant. Thunderbird 3 has omitted expanded columns facility

>> Usually I do not install new major version until about minor version
>> around 0.0.3 or 0.0.4. But at office 3.0 was auto-installed while absent
>> a couple of days. I am considering re-installing 2.0.0.23 for the time
>> being. Anyone done the same?

> you're in good company then. From what I've seen, a lot of people have
> been complaining about TB 3. Its one of those situations where the
> developers don't listen to the users.

I have now re-installed 2.0.0.23. A tip for anyone else doing the same.
If you have updated any of the add-ons to TB 3, my may first have to
uninstall those. Reinstall TB 2 only after that, and then the reinstall
the old add-ons. In one installation I actually had first physically to
delete the TB3 add-ons from the TB extensions folder before getting back
on track with TB2.

All the best, Timo