Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to connect to wireless network from laptop on Windows XP

Unable to connect to wireless network from laptop on Windows XP

Edward Diener

I am trying to connect my laptop via a wireless connection to my D-Link
DIR-655 router.
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D which as an Integrated
Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN.
I am running Windows XP on my laptop.

Under Windows XP on my laptop it finds my wireless network by its name
of 'MyWirelessNet' and I click on the entry and then on the Connect
button. It prompts me for my network key and I type in 'Y2YT5689OPEE'. I
then type this in again in the Confirm area also. It then attempts to
connect, taking a very long time to do so with a message box and a
message "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'MyWirelessNet'
network" and another message below it which says "Waiting for the
network...". Finally the Wireless Network Connection message box closes
but the connection has not been made. No error message shows anything.

Ideas, thoughts, solutions, experiences, or things I might try to get my
laptop to connect wirelessly to the DIR-655 are most welcome.

If I run a wired network cable from my laptop to the DIR-655 everything
is successful. But naturally I want to connect wirelessly so I can move
my laptop around. Isn't that what laptops are all about ?

I am also successful connecting my laptop wirelessly to other wireless
networks. But not to my DIR-655 router.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
It is probably authentication (PW) problem.
Log to the Wireless Router with a cable, and disable the security. Make sure
that you can connect to it when it is open.
When it works OK, switch On the security enter a new pass phrase copy the
pass phrase to the Copy buffer and then paste to the computer's password
box.
Make sure that the level of the security that you use is compatible with Win
XP.
In General.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> It is probably authentication (PW) problem.
> Log to the Wireless Router with a cable, and disable the security. Make
> sure that you can connect to it when it is open.

This was the first thing I tried and I still could not connect to the
router wirelessly. What gets me is that Winodws XP gives absolutely no
indication of why the connection failed. I'm a programmer and I think it
is very poor giving no end-user feedback in that situation.

> When it works OK, switch On the security enter a new pass phrase copy
> the pass phrase to the Copy buffer and then paste to the computer's
> password box.
> Make sure that the level of the security that you use is compatible with
> Win XP.

I do not know how it can be determined what level of security is
compatible with Windows XP. How can I determine that ? I keep up to date
with the latest updates through Windows Update so I should always be up
to date on my laptop.

> In General.
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed
> even if it is Off)
> MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number
> can be easily Spoofed).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> -------------------
> The three above are Not considered safe.
> Safe Starts here at WPA.
> -------------------
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
> Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would
> have to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
> Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
> available with your Wireless hardware.

On the router I am using WPA-Personal, with a WPA mode set to Auto (WPA
or WPA2) and Cipher type of TKIP and AES.

> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
> possible of one of the Wireless devices.

Right now the only wireless device is the laptop, although I bought
wireless USB for both my desktops which are currently wired to the
router. Since my laptop has connected to other routers wirelessly, I
wanted to solve my laptops connection to the router before I start
playing around with connecting either of my desktops to the router
wirelessly.

> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.

I understand this principle. I am not sure how to determine what the
laptop supports other than specifying what I did in my OP which is that
the laptop supports 802.11b and 802.11g.

> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
> replace the device with a better one.

Of course.

> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks for the info and links. Since I tried connecting with all
security turned off and could not do so, I don't think it can be a
security problem. I wish I knew what it was, though, as my router has
many settings I can try manipulating but I don't know what the magic
combo is to get it working. Of course I can eventually try talking to
the D-Link support people but that is always a major trial nowadays.

> "Edward Diener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am trying to connect my laptop via a wireless connection to my
>> D-Link DIR-655 router.
>> The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D which as an Integrated
>> Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN.
>> I am running Windows XP on my laptop.
>>
>> Under Windows XP on my laptop it finds my wireless network by its name
>> of 'MyWirelessNet' and I click on the entry and then on the Connect
>> button. It prompts me for my network key and I type in 'Y2YT5689OPEE'.
>> I then type this in again in the Confirm area also. It then attempts
>> to connect, taking a very long time to do so with a message box and a
>> message "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'MyWirelessNet'
>> network" and another message below it which says "Waiting for the
>> network...". Finally the Wireless Network Connection message box
>> closes but the connection has not been made. No error message shows
>> anything.
>>
>> Ideas, thoughts, solutions, experiences, or things I might try to get
>> my laptop to connect wirelessly to the DIR-655 are most welcome.
>>
>> If I run a wired network cable from my laptop to the DIR-655
>> everything is successful. But naturally I want to connect wirelessly
>> so I can move my laptop around. Isn't that what laptops are all about ?
>>
>> I am also successful connecting my laptop wirelessly to other wireless
>> networks. But not to my DIR-655 router.

Try this, Log on to your Router and set up the built-in Wireless
function. So with your laptop wired to the router try the following. Using
your web browser, input 192.168.1.1 as the routers address. Then use admin
as User Name and for Password, try password1. Hopefully this will give you
access
to your Router's software and the set-up for the wireless functions.
Otherwise
contact your Internet Service provider for instructions accessing your
Router setup .

"Edward Diener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to connect my laptop via a wireless connection to my D-Link
> DIR-655 router.
> The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D which as an Integrated Atheros
> 802.11b/g wireless LAN.
> I am running Windows XP on my laptop.
>
> Under Windows XP on my laptop it finds my wireless network by its name of
> 'MyWirelessNet' and I click on the entry and then on the Connect button.
> It prompts me for my network key and I type in 'Y2YT5689OPEE'. I then type
> this in again in the Confirm area also. It then attempts to connect,
> taking a very long time to do so with a message box and a message "Please
> wait while Windows connects to the 'MyWirelessNet' network" and another
> message below it which says "Waiting for the network...". Finally the
> Wireless Network Connection message box closes but the connection has not
> been made. No error message shows anything.
>
> Ideas, thoughts, solutions, experiences, or things I might try to get my
> laptop to connect wirelessly to the DIR-655 are most welcome.
>
> If I run a wired network cable from my laptop to the DIR-655 everything is
> successful. But naturally I want to connect wirelessly so I can move my
> laptop around. Isn't that what laptops are all about ?
>
> I am also successful connecting my laptop wirelessly to other wireless
> networks. But not to my DIR-655 router.

Edward Diener

> Try this, Log on to your Router and set up the built-in Wireless
> function. So with your laptop wired to the router try the following. Using
> your web browser, input 192.168.1.1 as the routers address. Then use admin
> as User Name and for Password, try password1. Hopefully this will give
> you access
> to your Router's software and the set-up for the wireless functions.
> Otherwise
> contact your Internet Service provider for instructions accessing your
> Router setup .

I can get into my router's configuration simply by using a wired
connection from my laptop or from either of my two desktops so that is
no problem. My router's wireless functionality is fully setup and I have
tried to connect to it wirelessly from my laptop where there is no
security and where the security is WPA-personal and both times have failed.

My problem is not getting into my router's configuration and setting it
up for a wireless connection.

Thanks for your help, nonetheless.

Lem

Edward Diener wrote:
> [...]

>>> It then attempts to connect, taking a very long time to do so with a
>>> message box and a message "Please wait while Windows connects to the
>>> 'MyWirelessNet' network" and another message below it which says
>>> "Waiting for the network...". Finally the Wireless Network Connection
>>> message box closes but the connection has not been made. No error
>>> message shows anything.
>>>
>>> Ideas, thoughts, solutions, experiences, or things I might try to get
>>> my laptop to connect wirelessly to the DIR-655 are most welcome.
>>>
>>> If I run a wired network cable from my laptop to the DIR-655
>>> everything is successful. But naturally I want to connect wirelessly
>>> so I can move my laptop around. Isn't that what laptops are all about ?
>>>
>>> I am also successful connecting my laptop wirelessly to other
>>> wireless networks. But not to my DIR-655 router.

Responding inline is tempting, but with long posts it gets really
difficult to follow.

If you are certain that you have disabled wireless security in the
router (and this includes not only encryption but anything else you
might have set in an effort to increase security, such as MAC filtering)
and still cannot connect, there are only a limited number of
possibilities. You have eliminated most of them by saying that your
laptop successfully connects to other wireless networks.

First, clear out remnants of prior attempts to connect to your network.
Go to Network Connections and right click on the icon for your
wireless adapter and choose Properties. Select the Wireless Networks tab
and Remove all entries that have your SSID. OK your way out. Now click
the View Wireless Networks tab, locate your SSID in the list of
available networks, and click Connect. I'll assume that you can't connect.

and determine what wireless mode it is set to. The DIR-655 is a
wireless-N router, but it can be set to operate as G-only, G&B, B-only,
N-only, or mixed N,B,G. Make sure that the mode is compatible with your
wireless adapter. If you don't know what your wireless adapter is,
either set the router to Mixed N,B,G or (better) look up your adapter's
model number in Device Manager and Google it.

With respect to the level of security, Win XP sp3 supports (is
"compatible with") WPA2-Personal if (and this is a big if) the wireless
hardware in your laptop supports that. If your adapter is somewhat
elderly, you may need to update a driver. See the website of your
laptop's manufacturer for the appropriate driver. You should be able to
determine what level of encryption is supported by your laptop's
wireless adapter by going back to the Wireless Networks tab of the
wireless adapter's Properties dialog, selecting a Preferred network from
the list and clicking the Properties button. On the Association tab,
you'll see a drop down box for "Encryption." Click the arrow and you
should see the possibilities.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Edward Diener

Frankster wrote:
>>> Log to the Wireless Router with a cable, and disable the security.
>>> Make sure that you can connect to it when it is open.

>> This was the first thing I tried and I still could not connect to the
>> router wirelessly. What gets me is that Winodws XP gives absolutely no
>> indication of why the connection failed.

> In that case... go into your XP wireless config and DELETE your router
> (of previous failed attempts). Then, retry. It should work.

I tried that. Subsequently the Wireless Network Connection finds it
again as a network within range. I clikc on my network, click
Connect..., enter the netwrok key, the long connecting dialog comes up
again, and it fails to connect again with no message.

> Your
> previous failed attempts are causing the saved profile to pass the wrong
> passcode and therefore you cannot connect. Deleting the saved profile
> and starting over should fix it.

Unfortunately it still does not work.

> As far as Windows not providing the proper feedback of a failed
> passcode, you are right. It doesn't.

Boo ! <g>.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edward Diener

Lem wrote:
> [...]

> laptop successfully connects to other wireless networks.
>
> First, clear out remnants of prior attempts to connect to your network.
> Go to Network Connections and right click on the icon for your wireless
> adapter and choose Properties. Select the Wireless Networks tab and
> Remove all entries that have your SSID. OK your way out. Now click the
> View Wireless Networks tab, locate your SSID in the list of available
> networks, and click Connect. I'll assume that you can't connect.

> and determine what wireless mode it is set to. The DIR-655 is a
> wireless-N router, but it can be set to operate as G-only, G&B, B-only,
> N-only, or mixed N,B,G. Make sure that the mode is compatible with your
> wireless adapter. If you don't know what your wireless adapter is,
> either set the router to Mixed N,B,G or (better) look up your adapter's
> model number in Device Manager and Google it.

This finally solved the problem. The laptop supports 802.11b/g and when
I changed the router to mixed mode 802.11b / 802.11g from its previous
setting of mixed mode 802.11b / 802.11g / 802.11n, presto !!! Everything
works now. I am now a happy camper.

Edward Diener

Edward Diener wrote:
> I am trying to connect my laptop via a wireless connection to my D-Link
> DIR-655 router.
> The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D which as an Integrated
> Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN.
> I am running Windows XP on my laptop.
>
> Under Windows XP on my laptop it finds my wireless network by its name
> of 'MyWirelessNet' and I click on the entry and then on the Connect
> button. It prompts me for my network key and I type in 'Y2YT5689OPEE'. I
> then type this in again in the Confirm area also. It then attempts to
> connect, taking a very long time to do so with a message box and a
> message "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'MyWirelessNet'
> network" and another message below it which says "Waiting for the
> network...". Finally the Wireless Network Connection message box closes
> but the connection has not been made. No error message shows anything.
>
> Ideas, thoughts, solutions, experiences, or things I might try to get my
> laptop to connect wirelessly to the DIR-655 are most welcome.
>
> If I run a wired network cable from my laptop to the DIR-655 everything
> is successful. But naturally I want to connect wirelessly so I can move
> my laptop around. Isn't that what laptops are all about ?
>
> I am also successful connecting my laptop wirelessly to other wireless
> networks. But not to my DIR-655 router.

To everyone who replied helping me out with this problem, I want to say
thanks. By changing my router's setting from mixed mode 802.11b /
802.11g / 802.11n to mixed mode 802.11b / 802.11g the connection was
finally made. My laptop supports only 802.11b / 802.11g so I guess
setting my router to support all three caused the problem ( although as
a programmer I don't think it should ).

Lem

Edward Diener wrote:
> [...]

>> Networks tab and Remove all entries that have your SSID. OK your way
>> out. Now click the View Wireless Networks tab, locate your SSID in
>> the list of available networks, and click Connect. I'll assume that
>> you can't connect.

>> and determine what wireless mode it is set to. The DIR-655 is a
>> wireless-N router, but it can be set to operate as G-only, G&B,
>> B-only, N-only, or mixed N,B,G. Make sure that the mode is compatible
>> with your wireless adapter. If you don't know what your wireless
>> adapter is, either set the router to Mixed N,B,G or (better) look up
>> your adapter's model number in Device Manager and Google it.

> This finally solved the problem. The laptop supports 802.11b/g and when
> I changed the router to mixed mode 802.11b / 802.11g from its previous
> setting of mixed mode 802.11b / 802.11g / 802.11n, presto !!! Everything

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad you got it working. You're correct
that "Mixed N,B,G" *should* have worked, but it's not worth spending
more effort at this point to find out why it didn't.